Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
How can so many more people live right near a major fault line in California? Or an active volcano in Hawaii? Or tornado alley in Oklahoma and Texas?
All great questions.

Why should the rest of the country pay the bill for people who choose to live in places that are well known to be high-risk areas?

My answer, of course, is that they shouldn't. Live wherever you want, but when the inevitable happens, don't ask me to pay for it.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How can so many more people live right near a major fault line in California? Or an active volcano in Hawaii? Or tornado alley in Oklahoma and Texas?
Not so difficult to figure out. They are foolish.

While some people have effectively no choice where to live (e.g. Palestinian refugees, other stateless persons), the vast majority of Americans have mobility.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

While some people have effectively no choice where to live (e.g. Palestinian refugees, other stateless persons), the vast majority of Americans have mobility.
How many places in the U.S. don't have some sort of potential for natural disaster? So, you're saying no one should live in California because one day it may fall into the ocean?
I live at the tip of tornado alley, and I've had to replace four roofs because of hail damage. Believe me, I pay for it in insurance costs. However, am I to be expected to move to somewhere more safe? Do you have a bomb shelter in your back yard?
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #104

Quote:
How many places in the U.S. don't have some sort of potential for natural disaster? So, you're saying no one should live in California because one day it may fall into the ocean?

Art, I think what people are getting at (and to get back to the topic of this thread) is that people who are not prepared for obvious threats are fools. It's one thing if you live in Denver and your house gets wiped out by a flood and you don't have flood insurance. Nobody could be reasonably expected to have prepared for that. But if you live in New Orleans and don't have flood insurance, that's just foolish, in my opinion.

If you work in a volatile industry (like subprime lending), and you haven't saved up a reasonable (3-6 months) emergency fund, don't complain when you get laid off and are faced with the prospect of selling your house at a loss to make ends meet.

If you live in California and don't have earthquake insurance, don't complain when your house splits in two.

If you live at the base of a volcano in Hawaii and don't have volcano insurance (does such a thing even exist?), I don't want to see your teary-eyed face crying for federal funding on CNN as a river of molten lava washes your house away.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Art, I think what people are getting at (and to get back to the topic of this thread) is that people who are not prepared for obvious threats are fools. It's one thing if you live in Denver and your house gets wiped out by a flood and you don't have flood insurance. Nobody could be reasonably expected to have prepared for that. But if you live in New Orleans and don't have flood insurance, that's just foolish, in my opinion.

If you work in a volatile industry (like subprime lending), and you haven't saved up a reasonable (3-6 months) emergency fund, don't complain when you get laid off and are faced with the prospect of selling your house at a loss to make ends meet.

If you live in California and don't have earthquake insurance, don't complain when your house splits in two.

If you live at the base of a volcano in Hawaii and don't have volcano insurance (does such a thing even exist?), I don't want to see your teary-eyed face crying for federal funding on CNN as a river of molten lava washes your house away.
Wow, those who live in flyover country are not only in lala land about housing prices, but also about insurance.

Denver: Has indeed flooded in the apast. Sometimes those rivers/creeks that drain the snowmelt overflow and downtown has been flooded in the past. Flood insurance would indeed be wise.

Earthquake insurance: I'm sure the californians can fill us in, but these programs are so expensive and cover so little that you are probably better off just saving your money.

Volcano: Dunno if it exists, but I bet the Lloyd's market would do it for a suitably egregious price.

Hurricanes: Floridians can confirm that if you can get windstorm insurance, it will be so expensive and cover so little as to be hardly worth it.

Having said that, I don't think others should pay for people to live in hurricane alley, flood plains, etc. But a little sympathy costs you nothing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Denver: Has indeed flooded in the apast.
Bah, it was a wild guess. I picked a place with a really high elevation and assumed it didn't have flood risk. Feel free to substitute any "extremely low flood risk" locale. It doesn't change my point.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #107

Quote:

Well I live next to a flood plain and see no reason to buy flood insurance (which is extra). I've lived there 23 years and never needed it, however, with building going on downstream, it is possible a future flood could occur. So, should I spend the extra money to buy insurance in all likelihood I'll never need?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I live next to a flood plain and see no reason to buy flood insurance (which is extra). I've lived there 23 years and never needed it, however, with building going on downstream, it is possible a future flood could occur. So, should I spend the extra money to buy insurance in all likelihood I'll never need?
Hey, its unlikely that I will drop dead. Why bother with life insurance? Its not like I'd get to spend the money.

- George Orwell

Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #109

BTW, from someone I know whose family lives in Slidell, LA. The insurance companies were disallowing much of the flood insurance anyway. Claiming it wasn't the flood that ruined the houses, but the mold. So, having flood insurance may have been moot.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Art, I think what people are getting at (and to get back to the topic of this thread) is that people who are not prepared for obvious threats are fools.
Can't really blame them for being fools, though ... they are just living out their destiny.

I suspect that the great majority of contributors to this forum were lucky enough to be born with above-average intelligence. Here's an article worth reading: Definition of IQ. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's interesting. Be sure to read the "Wandering Down to Walmart" section.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hey, its unlikely that I will drop dead. Why bother with life insurance? Its not like I'd get to spend the money.
LOL! On the other hand, you may live a long and fruitful life. Perhaps you should have a variable annuity with a living benefit?!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't feel any fury or animosity, but at the risk of sounding insensitive, how could anybody possibly think it's a good idea to live in a city that is below sea level, right next to the ocean?
I used to live in New Orleans. It's not right next to the ocean. The gulf is quite a few miles away.

When I lived there, read a book about the history of New Orleans. Seems they were suppose to establish the settlement further upstream where it would be above sea level. But the settlers fell in love with the bends in the river(hence the name Crescent City) and put it there. Perhaps not the smartest move, but too late to change it now. And, the city does have it's charms.

Every place has some risk of catastrophe, whether its hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, earthquakes, etc. We've got to live somewhere.

Like most, I've had setbacks in life. Been laid off, unexpected expenses, so I've learned to be ready for them. Was planning a big trip to celebrate ER, but looks like it won't happen because other things came up. Such is life. Not happy about it, but I had the money so it's a disapointment, not a disaster.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #113

I've heard Cleveland Ohio is one of the safest places to live....uh, from the perspective of natural disasters anyway. However, if you've ever faced a Cleveland winter, you might choose the earthquake.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

Yep, they should leave Nob Hill and move to Omaha. How about enjoying the life you have?

Ha
Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #115

I think we're relatively natural disaster free here in Phoenix, aside from the occasional rough summer storm.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
Seems they were suppose to establish the settlement further upstream where it would be above sea level.
I've also heard that the city is actually sinking, and may have been above sea level at one point in the past. But each year, it sinks a little lower (and the oceans rise a little higher, if you believe Al Gore), so I really think it's inevitable that it will be flooded again. It's just a matter of time, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
Every place has some risk of catastrophe
I don't agree with that. I think there are plenty of places in the US that are at little to no risk at all of any kind of natural disaster.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #117

Quote:

I don't agree with that. I think there are plenty of places in the US that are at little to no risk at all of any kind of natural disaster.
Fer' instance?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
How about this one:

Monica Tibbits: Struggling on $40K

"My monthly student loan payments are $1,630 a month. I bring home roughly $2,200 a month from my job. That leaves me $5 short of paying for my incredibly cheap rent of $575 a month. That does not leave any money for food or utilities."

How much could she have borrowed for college? That payment is quite a bit more than my mortgage. She must owe $150k+.

Someone needs to sit the youth of America down and show them that borrowing that much for college to get a degree that only puts you at $40k is a pretty foolish economic choice.

My parents didn't give me much money for college either (my grandpa gave me about $200/month though). I went to the University of Minnesota while I worked about 25 hours a week. It took me 5 years instead of 4, but I graduated without debt.
holy moly. i borrowed $35k and my payments are only $194 a month...

EDIT: Just read her story. Didn't know she had both undergrad and grad debt. Still who on earth would take on all that debt?? I went to undergrad, worked for 7 years, THEN went back to grad school when i could afford it. I could have paid the whole tuition from savings but i figured take out 1/3 of the cost in student debt, pay 5%. I also didn't want to have to sell equity holding to finance my education.
podey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #119

Quote:
Fer' instance?
Others have already mentioned Phoenix and Cleveland. I'm sure there are tons of other cities (or entire states) that are virtually risk-free. What about Las Vegas? Detroit? Boston? Chicago? Seattle? What natural disasters threaten any of those cities?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Others have already mentioned Phoenix and Cleveland. I'm sure there are tons of other cities (or entire states) that are virtually risk-free. What about Las Vegas? Detroit? Boston? Chicago? Seattle? What natural disasters threaten any of those cities?
Phoenix: wildfire risk

Cleveland: Flooding, riots. Its a poor city on the shore of a great lake.

LV: fires, tornados, rampant VD.

Detroit: Riots, fires, snow.

Boston: Major hurricane risk.

Chicago: Fires, flooding (its on the lake), boredom.

Seattle: Big time earthquake risk.

You need to get out more so that the grim reaer can stalk you a bit more effectively.

- George Orwell