Ameriprise~ Another high-fee MF case.

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
$9,300,000 seems like a high penalty for mishandling only 3 clients.

NASD arbitration panel imposed a $9.3 million penalty on Ameriprise Financial Inc., stemming from a complaint that one of its stockbrokers mishandled three clients' savings by putting them in high-fee mutual funds, according to published reports.

http://www.investmentnews.com/news.cms?newsId=3307

Those may have been cases that were examples of a pattern of behavior.

What gets me about these cases is who is REALLY paying the fine:confused:??........isn't all the other clients?

jazz4cash said:
What gets me about these cases is who is REALLY paying the fine:confused:??........isn't all the other clients?

Same folks who pay higher insurance premiums when we have a big hurrican season........the consumer..........

There's another thread about some poor gal screwed by Ameriprise. I'll bet she doesn't get any of this. I just hope she escapes with the "family jewels."

Where do the fines go, really? Ameriprise pays them to whom?

In cases like Microsoft paying the EU close to 1 billion dollars... who actually gets it? When the SEC fines Enron for something, does the SEC have a huge office party? Or does it go to those that were actually harmed? The lawyers certainly get theirs...

JJac said:
Where do the fines go, really?
When the SEC fines Enron for something, does the SEC have a huge office party? Or does it go to those that were actually harmed? The lawyers certainly get theirs...

My guess is that the $ goes to the US Treasury. When I was with NASA we negotiated a $25M settlement with the company that made the flawed mirror for the Hubble Space Telescope. It looked like the $ would just go to the Treasury but I was able to find some Comptroller General decisions that gave me a case to retain the $25M in NASA's account for HST. The best thing was that NASA Hq never seemed to realize that we (the HST Project at Goddard Space Flight Center) got those funds. I was expecting them to reduce our total budget by that amount but they never did. The $25M became a windfall for the project. We were able to use it to improve the capabilities of the follow-on instruments.

Grumpy

And here's a low-fee MF case...........

On July 20, 2005, the Independent Trustees of the Fidelity Funds ("Funds") authorized an independent review with the objective of... an .....independent assessment of whether.....the Funds may have been impacted as a result of the acceptance by some traders employed on Fidelity's equity trading desk of travel, entertainment, gifts and gratuities ("TEGG") in violation of Fidelity policies.

Judge Martin then relied on elements of the statistical analysis as well as other considerations to recommend that Fidelity pay the affected Funds $40.7 million, plus interest and expenses of the investigation.

http://personal.fidelity.com/global/content/independent-report.shtml.cvsr?refhp=cp

mickeyd said:
I sure hope that you were working on a commission basis on that particular NASA project Grumpy.

Nope, I just got the satisfaction of knowing I outsmarted the US Treasury and the HASA Hq bureaucrats.

Grumpy

grumpy said:
Nope, I just got the satisfaction of knowing I outsmarted the US Treasury and the HASA Hq bureaucrats.
Ha!! Two thoughts:
1. Is that a challenge?
2. What's the statute of limitations for mentioning it on a discussion board?!?

I know how you feel. Every time we saved the Navy's money we regretted it.

Attachments

• Broadside on military funding.jpg
    Broadside on military funding.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 18
  • Broadside on military funding.jpg_thumb
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom