Join Early Retirement Today

Ameriprise Insurance
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ameriprise Insurance

We've had such good luck with almost everything from or related to Costco over the years that we decided when we bid our insurance this year to give Ameriprise a shot since they are a Costco partner.

Big mistake.

We got our quotes really fast. Overall they were going to save us at least a few hundred dollars over our current policies that saved us money from the previous carrier so we were pleased.

Then the application process started.
We went back and forth over a three week period with them asking us to mail, in writing, a list of things we could not have or do with our car. When we did it the first time, they rejected it for not being word for word exactly as they requested. The final straw was yesterday when they rejected it again for not having the vehicle spelled out even though they never requested that and asked us only to reference the policy. It dawned on me that they were setting us up to reject any future claim based on what we said in writing. It was at that point I looked up online reviews for them and they are horrible. Many one star posts on Yelp.

We are in the process of renewing with the old company.

My advice is avoid Ameriprise.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^I heard they are much better investment advisers.

ETA: Thanks for the heads up.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I didn't know that Ameriprise wrote car insurance though I would agree it is wise to avoid them just generally.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I've been tempted to check them out due to their Costco affiliation, but based on their FA services, I've stayed away.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

I tried Ameriprise for home insurance and it was your typical first year teaser rate offer then a big increase after that, dropped them after the first year. They were paired with my auto insurance (Progressive) at the time, not sure if Progressive is still associated with them, that was over 8 years ago.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Is your vehicle a lunar rover? Isn't Ameriprise just a broker for an actual insurance company? Who is the actual insurance company so I can avoid them if they have other brokers.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here ya go:
Quote:
...Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance is the marketing name of IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company and Ameriprise Insurance Company, De Pere, WI, both of which have sole financial responsibility for their own products. Insurance is underwritten by either company, depending on the state. The Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance Agency places policies with unaffiliated insurers. Each insurer is solely responsible for the claims on its policies and pays the Agency for policies sold. Prices, coverages and privacy policies vary among these insurers. Both companies and the agency are subsidiaries of Ameriprise Financial, Inc. Specific products may vary and may not be available in all states in accordance with state filings and applicable law. Costco Insurance Agency, Inc. is not licensed in New York state. Insurance products are not obtained through the Costco Insurance Agency in New York. Discounts and savings vary by state and apply to certain coverages. Insurance availability may vary by region or state. Certain restrictions and limitations apply. IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company’s California license number is 3726-7. Costco Insurance Agency, Inc.’s California license number is 0D08407. Costco Wholesale, Costco Insurance Agency, Inc. and its subsidiaries do not underwrite insurance, pay claims or guarantee any of the products or services offered by Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We had the Costco affiliate through Travelers and it was great. They switched to Ameriprise and it really went downhill. We switched as well.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

Although I never took their (American Express, which became Ameriprise), advice to purchase a variable life insurance policy back in 1986 when I started doing my financial planning. The planner was not very happy with me but all of his projections of my portfolio to 2012, were spot on. When I called them back in 2012 for devising a withdrawal plan, I threw them all out when they told me to withdraw our cash in our pensions for lump sums, 401k, 403b, tIRAs, profit sharing, RSUs, and stock options and buy one of their annuities. The rep and his boss, who came to the house to "review" their plan, I'm sure, are still suffering from hearing loss they experienced that evening. I know I entertained the neighbors!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #10

When I see any product from Ameriprise, I run the other direction.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Although I never took their (American Express, which became Ameriprise), advice to purchase a variable life insurance policy back in 1986 when I started doing my financial planning. The planner was not very happy with me but all of his projections of my portfolio to 2012, were spot on. When I called them back in 2012 for devising a withdrawal plan, I threw them all out when they told me to withdraw our cash in our pensions for lump sums, 401k, 403b, tIRAs, profit sharing, RSUs, and stock options and buy one of their annuities. The rep and his boss, who came to the house to "review" their plan, I'm sure, are still suffering from hearing loss they experienced that evening. I know I entertained the neighbors!
I love this story!! Good for you throwing the bums out.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

When quoting our insurance policies about a year ago, Ameriprise (through Costco) wouldn’t cover us because we have a horse trailer. Turns out, that was a very lucky break. We wound up with Amica instead and are saving a fair amount of money (house, car, trailer, umbrella) when compared to our former carrier: USAA.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote