Join Early Retirement Today

AMT is getting too close .... Help
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

AMT is getting too close .... Help

My question regards avoiding the AMT. It appears that this year I will bump into it unless I make a couple of changes. The simplest idea I can come up with is to make “catch-up” contributions to my 401 K since I am over 50 and thereby lower my net income. Will this lower figure apply to the AMT limits? I am close enough that this contribution would do it if it applies. If not I will have to restructure a bit to do some avoidance.

Also, I would like to take a long term position in the new dividend fund Vanguard is opening, but do not want to start down the same path with earnings that apply to the AMT. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

I posted this question on diehards, so if you frequent both please don't get upset. These are my two favorite financial boards.

John
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: AMT is getting too close .... Help
Old 05-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattj1
My question regards avoiding the AMT. It appears that this year I will bump into it unless I make a couple of changes. The simplest idea I can come up with is to make “catch-up” contributions to my 401 K since I am over 50 and thereby lower my net income. Will this lower figure apply to the AMT limits? I am close enough that this contribution would do it if it applies. If not I will have to restructure a bit to do some avoidance.

John
Yes, the 401k contributions are not counted in your income for AMT purposes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

are you hitting the amt because of income or deductions?
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

last year we hit the amt tax because of large capital gains....this year we will trip it again because the large amounts of state and local taxes we paid would have left us owing little tax on our more normal usual income and so back on the amt we go.....it sucks this year too because i just had 6 dental implants done and the medical goes bye bye too under the amt
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have you run the numbers w/ different state witholding numbers (itemized deductions)? Last year I was able to, barely, avoid AMT by stopping our state withholdings. I did a tax projection in November. Unfortunately, we will probably fall into it this year unless our fearless leaders change the code Our state doesn't not enforce underpayment penalties so it worked to our favor. I may do the same this year and will decide towards the fall (our income varies b/c of husband's S corp income).
Hope this gives you an idea.
Robin
pinkmali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the help! I will change things a little and contribute more. That should do it for another year.
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote