Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It's the only way they can mitigate the risk, they need flexibility. How else can they "guarantee" 6 or 7% withdrawals when the market is down 10%??
Hey, no argument from me. I was just surprised that sponsoring an actively managed fund with wide manager discretion was on their agenda.

BTW, you are making a serious mistake in your interpretation of their literature. They DO NOT guarantee the withdrawals as you stated.

Now, important stuff. Did you get a boat or are you still screwing around with that? If you have one, when we going fishing?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Now, important stuff. Did you get a boat or are you still screwing around with that? If you have one, when we going fishing?
Well, since I chipped a bone in the top of my foot, and possibly some cartilage damage, I have been distracted. DW has moved on from boats to landscaping, and since I can't do the work..........

I am still hunting, but I don't think the PAIN the economy is inflicting has gotten the boat owners yet....they have to sell their gas-guzzling SUV first, then realize now they can't pull their boat, and THEN I can strike........probably a few months away........

When I get one, we can go fishing. I don't remember where you are at but I think it's Illinois or somewhere? Maybe a walleye sojurn on the Wolf River or Wisconsin River is necessary..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Wonder where you got that from? The payout calculator provided by Vanguard at the site still shows 3/5/7.
The growth fund says on the main fund page "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.0500." on a share price of $20.

The middle one says "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.0833." on a $20 share price

The high payout one says "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.1167." on a share price of $20.

Perhaps this is prorated for the thing not starting until may of this year?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I stuck $60k into the middle fund that I had laying around in a money market not making enough for me to want to leave it in cash anymore.

Very exciting. Lets see what happens!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The growth fund says on the main fund page "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.0500." on a share price of $20.

The middle one says "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.0833." on a $20 share price

The high payout one says "The fund's per-share payout for 2008 is $0.1167." on a share price of $20.

Perhaps this is prorated for the thing not starting until may of this year?
Those are monthly payouts, so the annualized payouts would be 3%, 5%, and 7%, respectively.

BTW, the expense ratio is shown as 0.58%.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Thats what happens when I try to do math in my head while drinking my first cup of coffee.

The distribution focus funds ER is .57.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have about half my assests in taxable accounts . Are these investments taboo for them ?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Its sort of hard to say. I think by saying things like "<asset class> 0-50%" they're creating an impression that they may wildly change the holdings very quickly and the contents of the fund one day might be different from the next.

Perhaps they're overdoing the ass covering on wanting to give themselves leeway to invest as they see fit. I cant see them making rapid massive changes to the holdings. I would anticipate them to moderate change over a period of years, but if they thrash trade I think they'll lose customers. Many people wanting these funds (primarily people near or in retirement) wont be able to use them in a tax advantaged account.

Plus they oughta be able to balance some of the selling gains with losses. Some pieces of this are going to be extremely volatile. They get the ying and the yang right and trim off the ends, it might end up being reasonable.

I wouldnt expect it to be as miserly in capital gains as the Tax Managed Balanced Fund, but I dont expect it'll look like a commodity fund either.

My 60k is in a taxable fund. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have about half my assests in taxable accounts . Are these investments taboo for them ?
Credible hearsay, if there is such a thing, over on the Diehards board indicates that these will be very actively managed, meaning they will not be great for taxable accounts. Too much taxes on gains, dividends, etc. Do your homework beforehand.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Frankly, at this point I'd love to pay a lot of taxes on gains and dividends. Every year!

What Rich said is important though. Fully understand any fund before putting money into it, especially taxable funds.

That having been said, the diehards folks are a bunch of worry warts who think anything that isnt some sort of straight index thats been around for 40 year is suspicious, and I have spent a lot of time looking at these funds. Bogleheads think that a chunk of US equities, a slice of US bonds...and maybe...just maybe...a sliver of foreign equities...are all you need. Maybe that how its gone before. Maybe thats how it'll go another 40 years.

But having said that, $60k to me is like blowing a little extra money on a really nice batch of ice cream. My life doesnt depend on it. Shoot, Amazon just had a sale on chocolate and I think I bought about 40lbs worth. Oh well, Mothers Day is right around the corner.

Were I choosing between wellesley and this with safety in mind, I'd take mostly wellesley or target retirement or lifestrategy income and maybe some of this.

If I had a bunch of money and was looking at annuities and gold and commodities and market neutral funds and precious metals and thought "What the hell? Cant I get a little of all of this and not sweat the details?".

In that case I'd buy some. Whoo! Just did!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
From the prospectus:
"The Fundsí twelve scheduled distributions in each year are made monthly, at mid-month. An
additional distribution may be made in December, and other additional distributions may be
made with respect to a particular fiscal year in order to comply with applicable law. The Funds
are designed with the expectation that the twelve scheduled monthly distributions will be
paid in cash but that each additional distribution for a particular fiscal year will be automatically
reinvested in additional Fund shares. Accordingly, to allow the Funds to achieve their design
objectives, the Funds will generally automatically reinvest any additional distribution for a
particular fiscal year in additional Fund shares. These additional shares can be redeemed
under the same terms and conditions as any other shares of the Funds."

Don't pay any attention to that man behind the curtain! Indeed it appears that there may be taxable returns you either get in cash or that are re-invested beyond the percent that is paid out monthly. It will be very interesting to track these guys once they are operational.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hey everyone, I didn't scour the prospectus so I might have missed something but these funds simply look like a modified fixed % withdrawal strategy. Am I wrong in thinking they just payout 3%/5%/7% of the trailing 3 year average NAV?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

All the nervous nellies will probably crap their drawers on this one, but I am putting half my retirement account, which is in an IRA, in the 3% and 5% (50-50). I know somebody will post that they hope I don' t end up crapping my drawers in a few years.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I know somebody will post that they hope I don' t end up crapping my drawers in a few years.
No. But I hope you still have some drawers to...uh...

Actually, I suspect you'll be fine. Let us know how it works out.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I decided I like surprises and put 60k into the 3% version and 60k into the 7% version to go along with the 60k of the 5% fund I bought yesterday. I'll watch them for a while and see what the allocations turn out to be and what the short term performance looks like and maybe stuff some more money into the one I like the most.

The ER is expected to drop as assets grow. I'm doing my part!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #36
Administrator

Wow, you sure ARE doing your part! I am a teeny bit jealous since getting in on the ground floor like this sounds like such fun (but it's not in my plan). Enjoy! And let us know what you think once things shake out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Just like a box of chocolates!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My god folks its Vanguard, not a late night infomercial selling secrets of the wealthy.

Vanguard is "promising" growing returns starting at 3%, 5%, and ooh wait for it 7% for you Vegas gambling action junkies.

Me I'll probably put in $50K into the 5% after a muni bond matures later this year. This assumes that I still have money after my writing puts and naked calls...
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Well, they're suggesting growth in the 3%, inflation pacing with the 5% and 'we're gonna try to keep up with inflation but probably wont make it' with the 7%.

I think the juicy one will be the 3% if you've got enough other income sources to fill in while it picks up some capital appreciation. But I want to see what they do with it, how they move with the markets and what the tax situation looks like at the end of the year before I throw a couple more boat anchors in.

Do also remember that we're pretty low profile income wise. My wife only works part time and since we have no debt to service every month our income needs are pretty modest. So some capital gains arent going to make me cry at tax time.

The first 60k came out of cash. The $120k for the two other purchases came out of wellesley.

This is really some nice diversification for the price. The only part I'm not thrilled with is the market neutral piece. If they get the ER down under .45 I'll be thrilled.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I cheated on Early Retirement and went to Boglehead 's to get their take on the funds . They seem like great funds if you are in the distribution phase but the funds they are investing with I already have so I'm not sure I see the value in changing especially since they are in my IRA which I will not be touching until required . If I did not have a cola pension I would seriously consider them because I like the security of a monthly pay out .