Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I see on Halaby’s website (Total Financial Solutions) that they are members of the “National Ethics Association.” Evidently, a ‘cease & refrain order’ is not a disqualifying event.

The NEA is owned by an insurance company.
Yes, the guy whose financial seminar I attended had an array of certifications and accolades from phony "associations." Apparently you can buy them pretty cheaply.

A phony doctor I know (actually, a real PhD of chiropractic who swindles people by making all sorts of phony medical claims) uses the same techniques.

He and other phony doctors get together and write books ("Hey, I'm an expert on this; I wrote the book on it, with the famous Doc So-and-so!") They form associations which promote their phony healing "treatments" and publish phony articles and magazines to leave laying around their waiting rooms.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got one of these invitations for the first time in my life. It's from a local guy who works for a financial services company I never heard of. I looked up the guy and he is young, about 25, and local, and has held some seminars in local libraries. His company, however, has a lot of complaints, many involving life insurance.

This letter with a free dinner offer at a local eatery is to promote "savvy social security planning" and the man running the meeting "is dedicated to helping New York area residents plan properly for their retirement with the help of Social Security."

The free meal is tempting, and I surely won't be investing any money with them. From what I have read here about these events, I'd be subject to some pressure to meet with this guy and turn my money over to him to manage. Yeah, right. I could go there and be some gadfly, also tempting.

Or, more simply, I just shred the letter and forget the whole thing.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 AM   #23

^^^ A 25 year old selling high fee life insurance and complicated annuities to a group of savvy steak dinner seniors, what could possibly go wrong? I am not sure which party is taking advantage of the other.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #24

I will buy my own steak instead and cook it on the grill. Probably cost more in gas and time to attend one of these. My time is worth a lot these days.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I will buy my own steak instead and cook it on the grill. Probably cost more in gas and time to attend one of these. My time is worth a lot these days.

Cheers!
+1

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I had one more thing to consider. I asked my ladyfriend if she wanted to go and she said she did. The two advertised dates were already full so they added a third one in early February we will attend.

She has no money to invest so there is no way she can be pressured to do anything moneywise.

I will surely post here or in a new thread about the event after it ends.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have shredded 10s of thousands of dollars of meals and free vacations.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I had one more thing to consider. I asked my ladyfriend if she wanted to go and she said she did. The two advertised dates were already full so they added a third one in early February we will attend.

She has no money to invest so there is no way she can be pressured to do anything moneywise.

Unless they have really good loan rates
Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Cheers!
+2
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

I would go if the dinner/venue is a good one otherwise I pass. I can still buy a steak and eat it at home also if I want. So I will miss Wheel of Fortune....so what I know most of the puzzles by now anyway
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #31

I throw them all away. I would rather buy my own meal.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could see going again if it were an intimate group: 2-4 couples. The one time I went, they seated us with the tables organized like a classroom and brought all the meals out at once. Thus, most meals had been sitting under heating lamps far too long.
I don’t care if it is free; I’m not eating a warmed over dinner in a cafeteria or bright classroom. Those years are behind me. I want ambience.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I believe the price is good, and worthy of trial. We went to 12 or so over a period of a few years. After dinner, You just say no politely, and exit stage left. It provided opportunities for us to learn about various sales pitches. Also helps local restaurants fill the banquet room for an evening.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

At my old zipcode I got a lot of invitations to these things. Now I am more in an urban college neighborhood and I get far fewer. I am not a gadfly, and I entertained myself by giving the host set-ups, and he knew what my game was and he appreciated it. Sales is a hard game without me trying to make it harder. I met a lot of single Asian women, which I enjoyed.

Now I don't get the invites. Many were at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, which I found to be better than my daily meals but not anything special.

I am glad I had the experiences.

Ha
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It provided opportunities for us to learn about various sales pitches..
And that's what you really want to know anyway
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #36

I went to 1. The guy asked questions of us at the end. When asked 'how many stocks in the S&P500' I stated 502. He proceeded to berate my answer with everyone chiming is 'it's in the name.' I calmly informed him of the 2 companies that were now 4

Added: a few years ago
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #37

There are actually 505
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
There are actually 505
Now. There were 502 at the time. Point being he didn't know more than his 'script' and his target audience was equally uninformed
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if 500, 502 or 505 are different enough to even waste breath on.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I always ask the presenter at the free steak history presentations "When was the War of 1812?"
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote