Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Assuming these fraudsters are found, tried, and convicted, they should be taken out back of the courthouse and shot in the back of the head.

And no, I'm not joking.

I have zero sympathy or compassion for anybody who would try to steal from, and provide so much heartache for, so many people as to steal their identity and make their life a living hell.

I think the world would be a much better place if these "white collar" criminals were treated like the scum they are. Execute them, and dump their corpses in the landfill.

Can you tell I have ZERO sympathy for them?

Getting off my soapbox now...

Ah, we are a few of the last roaming dinosaurs on earth, soon to be extinct....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The info they have from us for purchasing TT is minimal compared to online filing.
Minimal information can be as valuable to a criminal as all of your online filing data. We might think of the blobs as being in separate cache, and separate from other stores, but from experience we know the criminal elements are assembling disparate data for the mother-of-all-security intrusions.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Assuming these fraudsters are found, tried, and convicted, they should be taken out back of the courthouse and shot in the back of the head.

And no, I'm not joking.

I have zero sympathy or compassion for anybody who would try to steal from, and provide so much heartache for, so many people as to steal their identity and make their life a living hell.

I think the world would be a much better place if these "white collar" criminals were treated like the scum they are. Execute them, and dump their corpses in the landfill.

Can you tell I have ZERO sympathy for them?

Getting off my soapbox now...
Likewise.

And I suggest that another way to minimize damage is to punish the companies that play very loosely with your data.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I've only downloaded data to prepare tax returns a few times, and I think I'm going to start doing it manually once again. It would be very helpful if brokers and banks developed "one use only" temporary userids for that purpose.

Your comment on having a TT "account" made me think. We have one, which TT requires just to purchase the yearly SW. Not nearly the same info as the online tax return, but it is an account. My kids all have accounts, at one time it was the only way to get a "free file". I guess these accounts are "forever", there's no way to delete or remove the information. Who remembers what email address or password was used to set them up. A bit scary, eh?
I have a pretty good record of the multitude of email accounts and userid's used throughout the years. It doesn't help to have so many.

Just need to add Intuit to your list of suspects. While all this was blowing up, I received quite a few marketing emails from Intuit. Clicked on unsubscribe, did a dance, and so on. They just continued. I had to reply to abuse address, get an admin, and on and on. They kept telling me how easy it was to opt out by logging into their website. LOL--they try to get me to login and opt out of what I never agreed to!

I have no doubt that even if you could get them to delete your account, they do not have 100% audit of all the locations within their data vaults which hold your account data. It may get deleted in 2 places, but remain in another 6 or 7.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

The really sad part is that it's very easy in most areas now to open a credit union account, which are generally free with low minimum opening deposits. Tons of people just ignore them and think they have to bank at some brand name.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

It's incredibly easy to open a bank or CU account with very little money. The min balance requirement is not what stops some people from having accounts.
They either don't have legitimate ID (e.g. they are here illegally), they are engaged in economic activity that they would prefer to remain below the radar, they are wanted by authorities and do not want to present ID to a bank official, or they just see no reason to have an account.

I'm in favor of giving them a reason to have an account.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I'm really surprised how long it takes to get the 1099-DIV from Vanguard brokerage. Still not available. Sure delays the ability to complete the filing. I guess there must be good reason but it's frustrating. First they said Feb 18th. Now it says Feb 24th. We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If they get it right, then OK.

For the last 5 years, I get my E*Trade this week. (Just got this year's yesterday.)

And for the last 5 years, I've gotten at least 2 amended 1099's, the last being in the first week of April.

So now I wait until April 10th to press the button.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Minimal information can be as valuable to a criminal as all of your online filing data. We might think of the blobs as being in separate cache, and separate from other stores, but from experience we know the criminal elements are assembling disparate data for the mother-of-all-security intrusions.
It's no different that what any other vendor has on us, so makes no difference.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
If they get it right, then OK.

For the last 5 years, I get my E*Trade this week. (Just got this year's yesterday.)

And for the last 5 years, I've gotten at least 2 amended 1099's, the last being in the first week of April.

So now I wait until April 10th to press the button.

Just checked again and now it's moved to Feb 27th.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #70

Quote:
It's no different that what any other vendor has on us, so makes no difference.
Actually, Intuit's access to my data is different than my bank, Vanguard, etc.

There are probably no two businesses with the same array of security measures, policies, data store, and so on.

The attack vectors are different, the internal response, and just about every other variable I can think of that's germane to security is handled differently depending on the organization.

Data is being pieced together in ways not previously possible. All types of actors bad and good are knocking.

But you are free to believe what you want.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are a lot of tax payers who don't have bank accounts. They have to be accommodated somehow.
Let's think about this a little. What did they do in the old days when the IRS sent them a check?

I think any bank in the nation will cash a U.S. government check.

Plus, if you sent them a check any fraudsters could be charged with mail fraud.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Let's think about this a little. What did they do in the old days when the IRS sent them a check?

I think any bank in the nation will cash a U.S. government check.

Plus, if you sent them a check any fraudsters could be charged with mail fraud.
Some of the anti-fraud suggestions were to no longer issue checks but only allow direct deposit in a bank account!