Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

And yet another SWR/4% debate article...
Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

And yet another SWR/4% debate article...

This one is pretty good I think, and there's a good note from Pfau in the comments. And have to love the cliff analogy.

Safe Withdrawal Rates In Today's Low Yield Environment - Walking On The Edge Of A Cliff? | Kitces.com

((Oops after posting I just noticed it was a year old...though my attention was drawn to it just today. Apologies to anyone who is seeing this agiain))
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This should be up to date:

Wade Pfau's Retirement Researcher Blog: Kitces and Guyton on the Three Approaches for Retirement Income Planning

"As academics tend to favor approaches related more closely to essentials-vs.-discretionary, it is somewhat uncommon to hear rigorous intellectual defenses of systematic withdrawals. Guyton and Kitces do an admirable job in this video, making it relevant for individuals on both sides of the debate. They defend systematic withdrawals, and they focus particularly on explaining why they think time segmentation and essentials-vs.-discretionary are not better solutions."

It's a video, and I haven't seen it yet.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watched the video. I found the discussion of the problems with annuitizing essential expenses very interesting and it kind of fit in with my already existing thoughts on the subject.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote