Join Early Retirement Today

Angie's list
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Angie's list

Yes or no? We need some foundation and duct work... Just wondering if it is worth the price to join.. Thanks
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We had good luck with Angie's list when we had granite countertops installed in the kitchen. Not so good luck (not bad, just "OK") when we had some wallpaper removed and the walls textured.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have had great success with Angie's list, with only a few (really, just one) misses out of a dozen or so contractors hired. If you google (or search Retail Me Not) you can probably find a coupon to join for $15 for the first year. I am in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, so I can't speak to whether or not Angie's list works for less populated areas.
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Angie's list. I live in a rural area. It's been a mixed bag. the problem is that there are very few reviews in most categories and the few reviews often offer conflicting opinions, but it's a place to start. The best feature is the costs for various projects.

Back in the day I would save a copy of "The Real Yellow Pages" for several years. My theory was if a business had advertised for several years, it was probably a good bet. (I don't mean the lawyer ads on the covers). Unfortunately, it appears that "The Real Yellow Pages" is about out of business.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #5

Meh. Not truly independent anymore since they started doing business with some of their advertising contractors via "deals". Still decent for avoiding true fly-by-night scammers, but read the actual reviews before making a decision. Some well-rated companies have some less than stellar comments. Personal experience with their top-rated firms has been mixed. I would still check references & BBB file.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #6

This topic was also covered several years ago....

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ist-57602.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My local library has an Angie's list subscription that library patrons can check out. Your library may have something similar.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Administrator

We and other family members have used Angies List in three areas, found it very useful in two (New York, Chicago), and of little use in the third (South Florida). AL really does need lots of responses before it becomes useful, even then it is best for making a short list of candidates for a service.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always had good luck checking Yelp when I need a contractor of some kind, and it's free.

As with any rating service, I throw out the outliers...the overly positive, and overly negative, reviews, and look at the middle ground. I figure the overly positive reviews are shills or paid reviewers, and the overly negative ones just have an axe to grind.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here is one take on Angie's list.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemc...t-angies-list/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm an AL member, it is marginally useful. It's hard to tell if a contractor is good based on the reviews: How many satisfied customers are not writing anything? If there are a slew of negative reviews, is it just because a particular contractor is very big (more customers=likely more unsatisfied customers). I have the feeling it works best in larger metro areas. Still, it's better than nothing, so I've kept my membership. When I get quotes I let the bidders know I found them on AL, and I subtly remind them again that I'm a member when they start doing the work--maybe they'll take a little extra time to do the job right if they want a positive write up from me.
One thing that bugs me: AL calls me several times a year and asks about contractors I've used (based on searches I've done on their site). They want customers to write reviews, or at least to give some feedback on various businesses when they call. I find this to be intrusive. The calls are always very friendly, but its a minor annoyance.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I just signed up for Angie's list. AARP has a discount offer (google angies list cost). It ended up costing me around $9 for an annual subscription. For that amount, I don't have much to lose.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

While it may not be perfect, it is working well for us. I do read the in depth reviews and feedback and look for contractors who have a long history and a substantial number of reviews. So far, everyone we have used from it (tree service, electrician, and plumber) have done a good job and we've been very satisfied.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found Angie's List useful and have been satisfied with service providers I have found through that site. However, Angie's List is only part of my process when researching and selecting vendors/contractors. Better Business Bureau info and recommendations from people I know and trust, as well as personal vibes when I get an estimate/proposal, help complete the picture.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems useful for weeding out the real losers. Absent any other info, what I usually do is cross check Angie's List with Consumers Checkbook (I'm in the Wash DC area so have it) and find companies with good references from both. Results have been good to just OK. My problem with the "just OK" contractors/remodelers was that they were both a pain in the ass to deal with although the end result (and price) was good. After doing a number of major remodeling projects I'm coming to the conclusion that all contractors are going to be a pain in the ass at some point.

Larry
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote