Join Early Retirement Today

Annualcreditreport.com
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Annualcreditreport.com

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Is this a legitimate site? If I enter my personal data, it will give me a free credit report once each year.

But I don't want to give some phony group my SSN, etc.

Any comments?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Annualcreditreport.com
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's legit. I've used them for a couple years now. You should be able to take the link directly from one of the reporting agencies, like transunion.com, if you want some additional assurance.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Wab.

Ha
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #4

I didn't think the guys with the huge portfolios needed credit reports.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I also use that site. It's also easy to refuse attempts to sell you your credit score. Since there are 3 credit reporting services and each gives you a free report annually, if you request one report from one service each 4 month period, you will end up getting 3 free reports each year, effectively checking your credit free 3 times per year.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I didn't think the guys with the huge portfolios needed credit reports.
If you were planning to steal somebody's identity, would you target somebody with a few bucks and poor credit or somebody with megabucks and excellent credit?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Sent in for one of my free annual reports last month and got back the following, "Dear Consumer: We have received your request concerning your annual free credit report from Equifax and are looking forward to assisting you. However, the information you provided as proof of your identity does not match your information currently on file. Therefore, to protect your credit information, we must ask for some additional information in order to verify your identification and address." ...They have my current address as Autumn LN 1111, the Autumn LN part is correct but they added four - ones after it and now my normal address doesn't match up with theirs. Now they want a copy of SS card, pay stub or W-2 along with drivers license, rental agreement pay stub or utility bill. PITA

Edited to add that they have processed my requests properly in the past two years with no trouble.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

When you do this online, instead of my mail, you have to answer questions about your historical use of credit to prove it's you (like ... you took out a mortgage in 2004, true or false...and it was for this much........or it was from this bank-pick the right one. Even if you have no mortgage. They can get quite tricky.) So, it pays to have records handy. Once they wanted a number from a very old credit card....which I no longer had. Another time I had to speak with a human cause I flunked the online test. I eventually passed the human-phone test. She congratulated me ;-)

Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #9

There's one such legitimate site and a bunch of copycat sites that want to get your credit info themselves. Whenever I use it I do some searches to try to make sure I have the right one.

Last I looked, you can't find the legitimate site linked from the agencies even though they set the legit site up.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have also used that site since it was first created.

This week, TransUnion denied my request for a credit report. No reason was given, their web site just told me to make the request by phone or by mail. I used the phone number listed on annualcreditreport.com (1-877-322-8228). It was a lot easier than the web site, with fewer hoops to jump through. I'll probably do it by phone from now on.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
There's one such legitimate site and a bunch of copycat sites that want to get your credit info themselves. Whenever I use it I do some searches to try to make sure I have the right one.

Last I looked, you can't find the legitimate site linked from the agencies even though they set the legit site up.
Here's the referal link I mentioned from transunion.com:

link
Old 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #12

Wow, all three sites have fairly plain links to the free site and pretty clearly differentiate between that and their plans. I'm impressed.

It's been a year or two since I looked, and at the time I tried real hard and couldn't find it. Now TransUnion has a bolded link to the page wab mentions, Experian has the actual link on the front page and Equifax dedicates some front page space, too.

Of course in each case a huge block is dedicated to their own get-your-own-report service, but I can't really dock them for that.

Guess I should've looked before posting. Nah, why start now?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Wow, all three sites have fairly plain links to the free site and pretty clearly differentiate between that and their plans. I'm impressed.
They didn't do this out of the kindness in their hearts, they were mandated by Congress to provide free credit reports once per year for everyone phased in over a 1 yr. period. The 3 major credit companies created the free site. I think its great.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #14

I was able to get my credit rating from two of the three sites last year in March. I was going to wait on the third site so that I could have another credit rating later in the year. I also was not able to access the information since I could not provide them with the info that they wanted to prove that I was ME.
It was really tricky. One question had to do with previous addresses. They had two of my previous addresses listed and I must have selected the one that they didn't want. I locked myself out.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I had the same problem. There is a PDF that you can fill out and send in manually. Very last millenium but it worked.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #16

Thanks, maybe I will try that.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote