Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Annuities
Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #201
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Since I use it all the time - here is my two cents:
unclemick2 - are you talking about the data-based SWR tool or Butch's Pink Panties (which I find light in the whiskey department). If the former, is there anyway to say what it is in a sentence or 2? So far it seems like randomly-crunched numbers.

I'm not looking for a specific recommendation. Just an abstract of what it actually is.

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #202
Recycles dryer sheets

Kayack on turtle! Wonderful.

About animals with guns - you are so late on this one.

http://www.theflasharchive.com/f/f-50.htm

I have the CD and the t-shirt. Heh.

arrete - they have a slight artistic problem. Udders on bulls?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #203

Quote:
BigMoneyJim - I love your new tag line.

TH - I found these, but I can't keep up with you. Are we using up all of dory's storage space?

LMAO BMOOMN ROTF WTRDMC

Laughing my Ass Off - Blowing Milk Out Of My Nose Rolling On The Floor With Tears Running Down My Cheeks.

I can't stop laughing - This is got to be the funniest thing I've seen this year.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #204
Dryer sheet aficionado

:Hyperborea

I don't believe that is the typical person here. This is Not someone who is about to retire.

I will only invest my time on a real situation.

Anyone else

I will check back late tonight.

Tony

Tony2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tony stands ready to help with a real situation.

With a pizza on his head.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Tony - I repeat

Single age 61, 62 in 3 mo.'s- 1200/mo in SS

750k trad IRA, 150k in taxable dividend stocks, 100k timberland.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #207
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
:Hyperborea

I don't believe that is the typical person here. This is Not someone who is about to retire.

I will only invest my time on a real situation.
That is a real situation for someone who would want to retire. *The only change to the numbers from "reality" is the required dollar amount. *It was normalized to $40K so that it could be more easily compared to the historical SWR calculations. *Does your annuity "solution" cost more than $1M that an about $40K would require?

If you don't believe that then you're on the wrong forum. *Perhaps you'd want to figure out the numbers for someone who's 38, lives in Texas, no spouse so no joint annuity, and needs $40K / annum inflation adjusted? *That's another real situation from a real retiree with the dollars required normalized to $40K.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Arrete

Read the sticky's under SWR Reasearch over at NFB.

If you can abstract that down to a sentence or two - my hat is off to you.

In fact you will deserve a double - Pink Panty that is.

I'll buy.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's ***** with a pizza on his head.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:19 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

John, surely you can do a better job of cutting around the edges of that pizza before pasting it on the head...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cows with guns - well, now I have to get a new keyboard, since this one just got sprayed with my drink!

*****, you ever read Robert Kiyosaki's series "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"? Your posts read like his books. I've read all your posts here, went through the no fee boards posts of yours, and I'm not finding anything......and if it's true your method would have caused people to miss out on the great bull market of the 90's well, that pretty much cinches it, eh? The fact that you aren't even using it yourself, well! Also, I notice you take a decidedly less polite tone on the NFB boards, pretty caustic stuff, and your friend there takes some pretty harsh shots at Dory, too. And what's this about "taking someone out", threatening someone on the message board? Wow.

......I think I'm clued in TH
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
John, surely you can do a better job of cutting around the edges of that pizza before pasting it on the head...
My pizza cutter is in the dishwasher.

intercst
Old 03-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #213

I wrote a really dumb ***** focus poem. After I reread the prior posts, I decided I would not lower myself to add dignity
to this thread. This has got to be the most wacko stuff
I have seen since ed_teach showed up. Pretty funny though

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My pizza cutter is in the dishwasher.

intercst
Oh COME ON John...I gave you the clear opening for "...and dont call me shirley".

Retirement has dulled your edge.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Re: Cows with guns - well, now I have to get a new keyboard, since this one just got sprayed with my drink!
Awww, shucks. *I'm glad you liked it. *My favorite cow - belted galloway!

arrete - I'm sure TH can put something on top of them. *Maybe a martini!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh COME ON John...I gave you the clear opening for "...and dont call me shirley".
My daughter watched that before going to her first interview. She should have watched Office Space. Which she owns now, BTW. I borrow it occasionally to remind me how lucky I am.

arrete
Old 03-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Read the sticky's under SWR Reasearch over at NFB.
If you can abstract that down to a sentence or two - my hat is off to you.
In fact you will deserve a double - Pink Panty that is.
Well, no drinks for me (darn!). I got kinda lost when JWR talked about 1) confidence intervals for the straight Shiller data ? It's just data! and 2) why it's OK to jettison some of the data. Well, that's handy.

I've done a lot of data analysis in my life, and I never chuck data because it's inconvenient. I find this whole thing depressing - and still no one can say what the data-based SWR tool is in a sentence or two.

Might as well go look for other militant animals.

arrete
Re: Annuitie
Old 03-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #218

Re: Annuitie

Quote:
Does that make it any less funny?
Not at all. I just thought we were cutting and pasting this thread.

Actually I was a bit disappointed...up until the turtle coffee table I had assumed that was your cat, dog and bunny, and that you were spending the day placing food on their heads and taking digital photos. Somehow it's less special that those pics were taken in the past and they're someone else's abused animals.

Quote:
BigMoneyJim - I love your new tag line.
Thanks! It makes me feel much more important. Do I sound more convincing now?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Very convincing.

I'm sorry for the delusion, I will assure that all photos from here on out will be of people and animals that I know or have been in my dreams.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Tony2002 is obviously cutting and pasting. There are at least 4 occurrences verbatim of one or more of his paragraphs in this thread, but most caught on to the marketing "feel" from the first post. If intercst starts cutting and pasting I'll complain about him, too. If intercst goes TMF and starts selling investment advice I'll be very leery of him. In fact I asked him a while back about his interview in the TMF article pushing their advisor service--that is, the article pushed the service, not intercst, but he was described and quoted in the article. I didn't see an answer, but I come and go and lost the thread. I'm curious about his response, though.
I don't remember being quoted in an article pushing the TMF advisor service, do you have a link? I'm not saying it's untrue, just don't remember the quote.

I have written two articles for TMF's retirement newsletter; one on the 4% SWR, the other on why an immediate life annuity isn't a good deal for most retirees. Both articles point out the virtue of not hiring an advisor.

intercst