Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

OK, I know most would advise against annuities, but my employer is offering to buy one as an incentive to leave early. My questions are: 1) If you HAD to choose an annuity company, which one? 2) Is there an easy formula or calculator to determine return? Thanks in advance for your understanding of a newbie (posting in the right place?) and advise.

rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi rockeye, and welcome!

I'm not competent to answer your questions, but we have folks who are. I'm sure they'll be along soon.

"Comprehensive health insurance is an idea whose time has come in America." President Richard M. Nixon, February 6, 1974
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

First of all, there are many different types of annuities. Some are okay for the right person in the right situation; others are pretty much terrible for everyone regardless of circumstance.

So first of all: What kind of annuity is this? I'm guessing it would be an "immediate annuity" or an SPIA that will provide monthly income upon retirement. (This, IMO, is a type of annuity that can make sense as a partial retirement income solution for some folks in the right situations.) If so, there are several places on the Web to "price" these -- usually you enter your age and gender along with an amount to buy, and they spit out the monthly payments you'd get for life.

You need to consider your needs and make sure you're comparing apples to apples when it comes to things like income for surviving spouses and inflation adjustments (if any). Generally this is a pretty bad time to buy one because the monthly payout is largely tied to long-term, high-quality bonds. The lower their current market yield, the lower your payout.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Assuming an annuity is the only thing on offer (you are not being offered the choice of a lump sum), I would pick carefully. You want a very strong, solvent insurer. My preference runs to large, AA-/Aa3 or better rated mutual companies. Examples of these companies include: TIAA-CREF, NY Life, MassMutual, NorthwesternMutual and Guardian, although there are certainly others.

I would stick to a SPIA. VAs, etc. are overly complicated and not worth the trouble.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote