Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good point... if it was COLAed then 4.5% would be sensible.
I think the fact that people that have bought (or who are thinking about buying) an annuity don't know the exact payout rate or state that it is either fixed or with a COLA says a lot about the general understanding of annuities. If a single guy with $1M in annuities is happy with the income they provide then that's an ok retirement plan for him. However, I get the feeling that he could have bought a new rather than used S Class Benz with a different plan and been just as secure.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
You know, I'm not exactly sure if he said 4.5 or 5.5. He's kind of hard to understand. He's so happy, I'm happy for him.
There's a trueism about bliss and level of knowledge that I won't quote

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
90% of married men die married . 90% of all married women die alone . so for anyone married or even single the woman's life expectancy seems to be the biggest issue to tackle . .
Yes, that's true. The payout rates for female same sex couples must be really low as they get the double extended lifespan.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes, that's true. The payout rates for female same sex couples must be really low as they get the double extended lifespan.
Actually, lesbian couple longevity is shorter. As expected, there's a lot of 'spin' out there on this subject but, a recent Danish study concluded shorter lifespans for homosexual couples. I'd be interested in knowing how insurance companies account for this in their offerings. A quick Immediateannuities.com quote check produces identical payouts regardless of the couples' sex but, I'd be surprised if there's no actuarial difference when actually purchasing the annuity.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Actually, lesbian couple longevity is shorter. As expected, there's a lot of 'spin' out there on this subject but, a recent Danish study concluded shorter lifespans for homosexual couples. I'd be interested in knowing how insurance companies account for this in their offerings. A quick Immediateannuities.com quote check produces identical payouts regardless of the couples' sex but, I'd be surprised if there's no actuarial difference when actually purchasing the annuity.
I think it's because they're both married to women.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

you beat me to saying it ha ha ha
Old 09-26-2016, 04:32 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
i saw payouts to females were slightly less on immediate annuity.com 516 a month for male vs 488 female at 65 in ny
Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i saw payouts to females were slightly less on immediate annuity.com 516 a month for male vs 488 female at 65 in ny
In the interest of further hijacking the thread...

Single life annuities do have a different payout based on sex. However, when I put in "couples", there is no difference in payout, regardless of sex.

Interesting.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
In the interest of further hijacking the thread...

Single life annuities do have a different payout based on sex. However, when I put in "couples", there is no difference in payout, regardless of sex.

Interesting.
The Vanguard Longevity Calculator does give different joint life results depending on gender. Same sex female couples have the longest longevity according to Vanguard..........