Join Early Retirement Today

Annuities - ugh
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Annuities - ugh

My mom died a few weeks ago, and for the most part, she had a trust set up and it has been orderly in terms of distribution. Now jump to these two annuities she bought with her IRAs - I can't understand the paperwork!

I consider myself above average in intelligence and relatively knowledgeable about financial matters. Having said that, I have read the documentation for distribution many times and I still don't get it. My sister (trustee) doesn't understand it either.

Once again, shows that these things are too difficult to understand. Luckily, they are a small portion of her estate. We are going to have to set up a conf call with the insurance company.

Also, and this is funny, they won't just send you a check. Instead they set up an account for you so you can write checks on the account. What? They probably will charge us for the checks (2 separate accounts) and fees, just to get the money out.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
.......... I have read the documentation for distribution many times and I still don't get it............ .
Gee, I wonder why that is?

It couldn't possibly be deliberate on the part of the annuity provider.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you get assistance from the trust attorney?
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We are trying not to use an attorney as we have been through this with both of our grandparents recently. We hired an attorney for the first one, and just paid them money for almost nothing.

Ah, I see, the attorney that set up the trust. That is a good idea!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We are trying not to use an attorney as we have been through this with both of our grandparents recently. We hired an attorney for the first one, and just paid them money for almost nothing.

Ah, I see, the attorney that set up the trust. That is a good idea!
My last experience with an estate attorney was not the happiest; cost me 4% of the gross estate. I was the sole heir and it dragged on for about 2 years.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
My last experience with an estate attorney was not the happiest; cost me 4% of the gross estate. I was the sole heir and it dragged on for about 2 years.
Yes, we had this issue partly with my grandfathers estate. We had to track down dead relatives. It was a huge pain in the neck.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
So, 96% of the estate was taken care of, with no problem, along with taking care of all the necessary paperwork?

That's odds I would be willing to bet on (and I did ).
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Once again, shows that these things are too difficult to understand.
Not necessarily. It all depends on the type of annuity.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

Also, and this is funny, they won't just send you a check. Instead they set up an account for you so you can write checks on the account. What? They probably will charge us for the checks (2 separate accounts) and fees, just to get the money out.
I am sorry for your loss BellBarbara.

Insurance companies went to this way to pay off beneficiaries years ago. As I recall the $ goes into a MMF and you get checkwriting priviledge to get at your own money. You can write a check to yourself for the entire amount on day one so there is not really much of a hassle.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
So, 96% of the estate was taken care of, with no problem, along with taking care of all the necessary paperwork?

That's odds I would be willing to bet on (and I did ).
No problem.
$2,000 per hour + appraisal fees and over 2 years to settle an estate with a valid will, a sole heir and no outstanding debts. Then the attorney solicited financial management services for a 2% annual fee.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No problem
$2,000 per hour + appraisal fees and over 2 years to settle an estate with a valid will, a sole heir and no outstanding debts. Then the attorney solicited financial management services for a 2% annual fee.
I was the executor for two estates that were in good order administratively/legally. I hired a lawyer since I was in a different state than the one in which the estate was being settled. I paid him by the hour and did as much of the legwork as I could. One estate was valued at about twice the other but there's no way any lawyer would have deserved to have been paid twice as much for the larger one as they both entailed essentially identical work.

Just as with financial planners, I personally think it's better to pay for services rendered by the hour rather than agreeing to give up a percentage of the estate.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

There has been some controversy about that practice. They hope to retain management of the funds longer... and earn a spread, maybe even convert it to a sales opportunity.

If it were my money, and I did not intend to keep the funds with the insurance company long-term or permanently (i.e., purchase an insurance product or put it under management using their funds)... or some reason to keep it there... I would transfer it to a FDIC backed bank... perhaps in a CD until I figured out what to do with it. That way it would be in an FDIC insured deposit.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My mom died a few weeks ago, and for the most part, she had a trust set up and it has been orderly in terms of distribution. Now jump to these two annuities she bought with her IRAs - I can't understand the paperwork!

I consider myself above average in intelligence and relatively knowledgeable about financial matters. Having said that, I have read the documentation for distribution many times and I still don't get it. My sister (trustee) doesn't understand it either.

Once again, shows that these things are too difficult to understand. Luckily, they are a small portion of her estate. We are going to have to set up a conf call with the insurance company.

Take a deep breath..... Most if not all insurance companies set up check-writing for clients. I have never heard of any insurer charging for the checkbook. Call policyholder services at the insurer and you will get your answers. Don't pay an attorney for a hour to listen to the call. Things should be much clearer after that.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
There has been some controversy about that practice. They hope to retain management of the funds longer... and earn a spread, maybe even convert it to a sales opportunity.
Did you ever work for an insurance company? How do you know this?

Quote:
If it were my money, and I did not intend to keep the funds with the insurance company long-term or permanently (i.e., purchase an insurance product or put it under management using their funds)... or some reason to keep it there... I would transfer it to a FDIC backed bank... perhaps in a CD until I figured out what to do with it. That way it would be in an FDIC insured deposit.
There is $12 trillion in FDIC deposits and $117 billion in the FDIC trust fund to cover those assets, just a little info.........

Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then the attorney solicited financial management services for a 2% annual fee.
That seems like a tremendous conflict of interest........

Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My mom died a few weeks ago, and for the most part, she had a trust set up and it has been orderly in terms of distribution. Now jump to these two annuities she bought with her IRAs ...
No matter how you would like to handle the money you will need to follow the IRS and IRA rules since your mom used IRA $$ to pay for these annuities. Any distribution from these annuities will be a 100% taxable event. I suspect you would do well to talk to a tax expert.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No problem.
I thought my estate attorney was expensive at $225/hr. Am I the only one here who thinks $2,000/hr is really out of whack? I'm hoping that was a typo!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Did you ever work for an insurance company? How do you know this?
The news. The specific issue was related to service men and their death benefit.

Life Insurance Firms Profit From Death Benefits : NPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
There is $12 trillion in FDIC deposits and $117 billion in the FDIC trust fund to cover those assets, just a little info.........

As I stated in my post... that is what I would do!

What if the company has a low financial strength rating or is a small company? Do you know if those funds are guaranteed by any other entity if the insurance company has problems?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I thought my estate attorney was expensive at $225/hr. Am I the only one here who thinks $2,000/hr is really out of whack? I'm hoping that was a typo!
I agree.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

YES! Clear they are trying to convert me to a customer. Most of the options are about this. I plan to get the money out and move it to a bank. My portion is not large, maybe 20-25K, we don't know, they won't tell us how much it is until we make our selection. Kind of funny.