Annuity has gained NOTHING....help! (long)

tgc641

Confused about dryer sheets
I have a variable annuity that is tied to 3 indices

S&P 500 Index
Russell 2000 Index
MSCI EAFE Index

Annuity has lost money since May 2014 (last checked balance a couple of days ago)

Could someone please help me figure out what the performance of these indices were from this time frame:

May 1, 2014 - Feb 12, 2015 (investment is split equally among all three)

Last edited:
I have a variable annuity that is tied to 3 indices

S&P 500 Index
Russell 2000 Index
MSCI EAFE Index

Annuity has lost money since May 2014 (last checked balance a couple of days ago)

Could someone please help me figure out what the performance of these indices were from this time frame:

May 1, 2014 - Feb 12, 2015 (investment is split equally among all three)

Sorry for the drastic edit, English is not my 1st language and have trouble writing in a way as to be understood- i kno the orig post was terribly convoluted

Usually annuities do not include re-invested dividends, but the seller gets to keep those

Without dividends reinvested:
11.4% S&P500
08.5% Russell 2000
-6.6% EAFE

One can use the Morningstar charts at morningstar.com and plot SPY, IWM, and EFA which are ETFs that follow those indexes.

If you want the returns with dividends reinvested, plot VFINX first.

Weighted average return would be about 4.4%.

Usually annuities do not include re-invested dividends, but the seller gets to keep those

11.4% S&P500
08.5% Russell 2000
-6.6% EAFE

One can use the Morningstar charts at morningstar.com and plot SPY, IWM, and EFA which are ETFs that follow those indexes.

Thanks for the calculations, wow...
If the weighted average return is around 4.4%, would the reason I'm not seeing that gain in my portfolio be because of fees? Do you know offhand how much on average a variable annuity will charge? I have an annuity with Metlife and cannot understand their prospectus.

11.4% S&P500
08.5% Russell 2000
-6.6% EAFE

Ouch!!!!

Annuities don't keep dividends?!?!?

I sort of remember that these "guarantee" type variable annuities don't give you the dividends, but it just hits as a shock all over again.

Last edited:
Are you SURE that you get the gain on these indexes:confused: Or the losses....

There might be some other language that says you get a percent or something else... also, they might only 'pay' once a year... there could be many reasons you do not see any gain...

some annuities that track the markets... especially the ones that limit downside ... also limit up side. They have things like "participation rate" that give you some % of the gains. There are many other fine print items. Unfortunately I think we have no idea of what kind of annuity the OP really has.

Really need to read the fine print.

One doesn't have to read the fine print as long as one doesn't buy such annuities.

A few years ago a co worker asked my advice on a variable annuity that he was planning to purchase and after reading the material and the fine print the fees were around 3%. I advised him against buying it.

So you could very well be a victim of high fees.

They should provide you an annual statement that shows returns, fees, etc. but it is not always easy to follow. Ask your agent and keep pressing until you get a straight answer, but it is probably fees eating up your returns.

The other thing we might assume is that this is a foreign annuity since English is not his first language....

Not sure about now, but when I worked in the UK 15 years ago I was shocked how high bank and investment fees were compared to the US... and we have gone way down in our fees since then....

I had an Ameriprise annuity that followed the market or offered a guaranteed 3% per year if in "cash". Sounds like a good deal these days, right? Not really . I discovered the reason that the balance was not increasing over the past couple years while in cash was because of fees equaling almost 3%. I was able to roll over to Vanguard IRA without penalty since I had owned the fund for many years.

If it sounds too good to be true, sadly it often is.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD

They should provide you an annual statement that shows returns, fees, etc. but it is not always easy to follow. Ask your agent and keep pressing until you get a straight answer, but it is probably fees eating up your returns.

I just looked at my Fidelity annuity annual statement... nothing about fees. Note this was a replacement for a hartford annuity that I was sold in the late 80's. But fidelity will try to sell annuities to "guarantee" some of your retirement income. I have not bought into that and really don't get offered that anymore.

Not just management fees, but also insurance costs I would assume. So you should get something additional for letting them skim your market gains off the top.

I invested some money that was in my mother's trust for the benefit of my Dad in an annuity. He was the annuitant. The trust was the beneficiary. Not that it matters but the reason I did this was because any gains were deemed "growth" and not "income and I didn't have to pay it out as income every year, there was a 5% guarantee that added to the basis and a guaranteed death benefit that included all those amounts. Did this because the trust was in need of generating income to pay what I knew would be it's proportionate share of estate taxes at my Dad's passing.

Try as I might, I could never get the returns for the underlying investments. Not ever. The broker told me the "underlying" mutual funds did not have to disclose that info to them and they didn't have the information. I don't know whether that was/is true or not but that is what I was told…repeatedly. Like a hidden veil….

Sounds like BS to me. Where I used to work the partners had a VL product and each subaccount (underlying fund) had a prospectus similar to a mutual fund. A VA would not be any different. I believe that the SEC requires them.

I thought so too pb4uski..which is why I kept trying. Other family members made the same inquiries with the same results.

Have you tried googling the names of the subaccounts? Or the website of the annuity provider? Or calling the annuity provider?

It has to be BS. As I recall you can't sell equities to the public without going through the SEC and VA subaccounts are equities. Tell the broker that you plan to complain to the SEC and I suspect that the materials might magically appear.

Below is an example of what Prudential provides on their website relating to their annuities.

http://www.prudential.com/view/page/public/12669

Last edited:
pb4uski ..Thank you for the thought of doing that. It's a non-event now. My Dad passed and the annuity paid out the death benefit several years ago.

It wasn't invested long, had a 23.5% gain. Of course the trust had to pay taxes on it.

Just could not get the detail information about the sub accounts. Didn't try past the broker.

Last edited:
Have you tried googling the names of the subaccounts? Or the website of the annuity provider? Or calling the annuity provider?

It has to be BS. As I recall you can't sell equities to the public without going through the SEC and VA subaccounts are equities. Tell the broker that you plan to complain to the SEC and I suspect that the materials might magically appear.

Below is an example of what Prudential provides on their website relating to their annuities.

Annuity Prospectuses and Supplements

we were at a seminar last night where they featured the prudential defined income variable annuity.

listening to the sales speech i gave it an "A" a step up of 5.50% a year in value and guaranteed income . what a great combo.

well got home and read the real deal and i give it a B- TO "C "

THERE IS REALLY ZERO CHANCE OF GETTING BETTER THAN THE GUARANTEE AMOUNT although they call it a variable annuity ..

the 5.50% increase you get each year to your income base amount really is not accessable to you as it is only a draw off it you get and a small one at that.

if anyone wants the details i will be glade to post how it works.

Last edited:
Am too embarassed to open a new thread, 'cuz I should know the answer to this question. So it's off-topic for variable annuity, but something I don't understand.
Here's the situation: An $8,000 "plain" annuity opened in 1984 @11.5% interest for 2 years and 4% interest thereafter. Never had a reason to change, so didn't pay much attention to it. So now, the last statement was for $56K annuity value, $48K cash value and $46K surrender value. The annual management fee is $20.

Out of curiosity I looked at a compound interest calculator and it shows about $32K based on the original amount. I used the term "plain" annuity because I'm not sure what kind of annuity it is. I just wonder where the extra $$$ came from.

Am too embarassed to open a new thread, 'cuz I should know the answer to this question. So it's off-topic for variable annuity, but something I don't understand.
Here's the situation: An $8,000 "plain" annuity opened in 1984 @11.5% interest for 2 years and 4% interest thereafter. Never had a reason to change, so didn't pay much attention to it. So now, the last statement was for $56K annuity value, $48K cash value and $46K surrender value. The annual management fee is $20.

Out of curiosity I looked at a compound interest calculator and it shows about $32K based on the original amount. I used the term "plain" annuity because I'm not sure what kind of annuity it is. I just wonder where the extra $$$ came from.

I don't have any, but my general understanding is that annuities pay out more than a person can get on their own, because a large portion of the people who have one die earlier. So the remaining ones get some share of "that money" (along with the ins company).
Its great if you are a survivor.

My guess would be that the 4% was the minimum interest rate and that the insurer actually credited the contract with more than 4% for some of the years after the first two years. Easiest answer is to call the issuer and ask.

What I don't understand are the differences between the annuity value, cash value and surrender value on a 30 year old contract. I would think that there would be no surrender charges applicable to a 30+ year old contract. But again, call and ask.

In any event, if the contract is currently crediting 4% and has a 4% minimum, its probably a keeper.

My guess would be that the 4% was the minimum interest rate and that the insurer actually credited the contract with more than 4% for some of the years after the first two years. Easiest answer is to call the issuer and ask.

What I don't understand are the differences between the annuity value, cash value and surrender value on a 30 year old contract. I would think that there would be no surrender charges applicable to a 30+ year old contract. But again, call and ask.

In any event, if the contract is currently crediting 4% and has a 4% minimum, its probably a keeper.

Thanks... :flowers:

Am guessing you're right... it was at a time when interest rates were pretty high. Yeah, so I did call a while back. Seems like the holder of the annuity has changed several times, and the person that I talked with didn't understand what it was all about, so after being tranferred several times, I gave up... about the only thing I learned was that what was supposed to be a 5 year pay out was going to be 10 years. Am to old to think that far ahead, so let a sleeping dog lie. As of now, don't need the money, so 4% is okay with me.

Back
Top Bottom