Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
2. as we get older, will we be increasingly either denied access to a range of financial products or be required to proove mental competence before we can get them?
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
On the one hand we don't know all the details, the jury heard both sides and found him guilty, so I have to trust that there was some evidence he knew of her condition.
In his defense, my father in mid-stage Alzheimer's can carry on a social conversation in a coffee-house environment for up to 30 minutes with someone before they realize that something's not quite right.

But the sales guy had to have figured that out by the time he finished "explaining" the product to her. It sounds as if there was convincing evidence at the trial that he was expected to realize she was demented. I bet his e-mail was subpoena'd.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Perhaps we need to bear in mind that her boyfriend brought her to the salesman with the express purpose to purchase this product.
Which leads to the question, what are the death benefits and who is the beneficiary?

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
This case is insane. Just an insurance comisioner and a prosecutor trying to make a name for themselves. What was wrong with that jury? Oh, I know, the agent was a 1%er.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This case is insane. Just an insurance comisioner and a prosecutor trying to make a name for themselves. What was wrong with that jury? Oh, I know, the agent was a 1%er.

If the fact are as presented by the article, I some what agree. If she was brought to the office by her boyfriend who was a satisfied customer I don't think the case is particularly cut and dried. I am surprised with so many worse abuses of the elder insurance sales and other financial advisers I am surprised that is the rare case where somebody went to jail.

Still I found a salesman task harder than selling ice to Eskimos.

As his April 18 reporting date to Lake County Hill Road Jail approaches, Mr. Neasham said he has had "really bad dreams" about going behind bars. Once earning $500,000 annually, he now seeks donations for legal fees.
I think the board should raise money to help pay for Mr. Neasham legal fees. Poor guy he was making 500K a year and now can't pay his lawyers. Who is with me

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote