Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Annuity with a guaranteed 8% annual return
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Annuity with a guaranteed 8% annual return

Hi Folks,

Hope I can get a little help.

A friend wants me to meet with his Annuity sales guy to discuss AVIVA BPA Select Income Advantage. Put in$ 250K at 50, have $540K at 60 and get $27K a year for life payout.

How can this be real considering the commission appears to be 4%-7%?

What am I missing? What are the pitfalls?

BPASelect Income Advantage Consumer Calculator

for agents

Annexus Group® - BPASelect Income Calculator

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing, Wally, after a quick look at the disclosures. The percentages are all smoke and you can ignore them.. It's an annuity that starts paying 27K a year 10 years after you buy it for $250K. Period. You don't "earn" 8%, and never "have" $540K on which you get a 5% payout. They can use any numbers that get them to the payout they are willing to pay.

Coach
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Run. This guy is not your friend.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
gone traveling

What's he smoking? (I want to share).

Disclaimer - I am retired and have an SPIA. Based upon your "friend", I would get a contract to ensure that he would receive what is promised.

Sorry - I would not hold my breath...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post

What am I missing?
The snake oil ads?

Quote:

What are the pitfalls?
The same as investing in a perpetual motion machine.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Run.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Hope I can get a little help.

A friend wants me to meet with his Annuity sales guy to discuss AVIVA BPA Select Income Advantage. Put in$ 250K at 50, have $540K at 60 and get $27K a year for life payout.

How can this be real considering the commission appears to be 4%-7%?

What am I missing? What are the pitfalls?

BPASelect Income Advantage Consumer Calculator

for agents

Annexus Group® - BPASelect Income Calculator

Thanks,
That "guaranteed return of 8%", is not a guaranteed RETURN, it is an increase in something called an "income base", which you can draw 5% from but CAN NOT walk away with. It is a crediting rate, NOT a rate of return..........

Bottom line, its not guaranteeing ANYTHING........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #8

This is a really interesting thread about Equity based annuities. There are a few brave insurance agents trying to defend them.

A Look at an Equity-Indexed Annuity | AllFinancialMatters
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

EIAs are a sleazy product. I consider selling one of them to be essentially forsaking one's fiduciary to their client.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
hey wallygator,

This is a fantastic annuity.

Your agent really needs 4%-7% commission (BTW, who decides which % he gets?).

He has a mortgage. Car payments (or rental) on that Lexus he drives are steep. Kids in private schools are not cheap, you know. Wife gets those regular botox treatments, and they are not covered by his medical plan.

Your contribution to his lifestyle is important to our economy, well to his economy anyway.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi folks,

Thanks as always for the great, prompt feedback.

Wally
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks as always for the great, prompt feedback.

Wally
If you need any extra ammo, let us know. We can give you 5-6 questions to ask that will kill any salesman's presentation..........

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Lets have the extra questions now for future use.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #14

The one I like is "Can I get a sample contract so I can read it before we go any further with this discussion?"

In fact, I'd like to see a sample of the annuity in the OP.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Lets have the extra questions now for future use.
OK:

1)What is the TOTAL EXPENSE of this annuity, inluding M&E AND management expenses?

2)You said the RETURN was guaranteed........that means I can WALK AWAY with my guaranteed return, right?

3)How long do I have to hold this annuity? Is there a NO SURRENDER option? (Most VAs have a NO SURRENDER option, but most agents don't mention that because they get paid 80% less up front on those share classes.

4)How are YOU compensated on this sale?

5)Why is this better for me than a traditional balanced portfolio of low cost mutual funds?

6)Show me in the prospectus where the CDSC schedule is located.

7)Give me a prospectus to look over, if I'm still interested after reviewing that I will be sure to call you. Don't contact me, I'll contact you........

There's more, but that's a start.........

Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #16

Has anyone ever gone to a "free" seminar and exposed the sales tactics to the audience? I think it might be fun to study the contract in advance, then educate the audience as to why it was a con. The fun part would be in knowing I was saving someone from being ripped off.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Has anyone ever gone to a "free" seminar and exposed the sales tactics to the audience? I think it might be fun to study the contract in advance, then educate the audience as to why it was a con. The fun part would be in knowing I was saving someone from being ripped off.
I have occasionally done the opposite. The salesperson is giving me a meal, and sometimes drinks. The other attendees haven't ever given me anything, and aren't planning to do that.

So I may act as an unpaid shill, just to watch the look on the presenters face.

Once the guy came up to me later and thanked me. He didn't know what I was up to, but he was pleased. Truth is I wan't doing anything, just passing time.

Ha
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ha, you are a rascal!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'll guarantee you an 8% return for 10 years.

All it will cost you is 6% in management fees. I'll buy a 10-year Treasury yielding 3.7% to maturity, pay out 2% net of my fees and pocket the other 1.7% as pure profit. Ain't using OPM wonderful?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
The one I like is "Can I get a sample contract so I can read it before we go any further with this discussion?"

In fact, I'd like to see a sample of the annuity in the OP.
There should be no issue with obtaining a sample contract. Every company offers them if requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
While you may think it's amusing, consider that the person holding the seminar pays around $100 per person attending...if you disagree with the approach, that's fine, but it's not a "con" and you are costing someone real money to waste their time.

FinanceDude - this is a fixed index annuity, not a VA.

OP - As others pointed out, the 8% guaranteed is not a lump sum that you can walk away with. If it was, everyone would jump on it and the insurance company would soon be out of business. It is a guaranteed "rollup" on the "income base", which is used to determine your payout each year for the rest of your life, depending on when you take the income.

There are two separate accounts, the cash value accumulation account that you can walk away with, and the income account, which is used to determine the annual payouts. The cash accumulation account is determined by the index changes or fixed rate applied. You are not annuitizing by taking the income, you are subtracting the payout each year from the accumulated cash value. If the cash value becomes $0, you still receive the payout every year until you die (or your spouse, if you choose a joint annuity). If you died 2 years after taking the income, your beneficiary would still receive the lump sum cash value left over.

On a side note, some annuities allow your beneficiaries to take the income account as a lump sum cash payment, if paid over 5 years if you died. Others do not allow that option and would just pay out whatever is left in the accumulation account.
Closed Thread