anonymous gifting

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking over my spending pace so far in 2016, it appears that come year end my budget may have some extra funds. I'm considering gifting anonymously at the holidays to help a deserving family, such as by paying their child's outstanding medical bill. I've never done this before so am unsure how to make it happen.

It seems it should be as simple as visiting a local hospital and telling them what I have in mind. They likely know a deserving family. Then to keep it anonymous gifting either cash or money order. I worry that the funds could too easily disappear and not go to paying the bill. Maybe a venue other than a hospital would be better? Anyone have advice?

I've seen several articles about people going to Walmart and anonymously paying off someone's item on layaway purchase plans. Would that work for you?

What a lovely idea! I would love to have the funds to do something like that myself.
I guess I'd first do some research and find a charity or social service agency you like that is accountable and transparent about their funds and talk to the director. For me it might be something like the Ronald McDonald houses or the various refugee resettlement organizations here in town where money goes a long way in helping immigrant families.

Those are good ideas, thanks. Donating to a charity addresses some of my concern about the funds bring properly credited. I was thinking more of a way to help an individual family but that may not be practical.

I just don't know who exactly you'd talk to at a hospital. Perhaps, though, they'd refer you to a charity or agency that works with the hospital.
Every year our local paper has a series on needy families at the holiday season. However, I suspect that such families are then inundated with funds by generous people. I would personally try to find someone equally as needy but not a headline-maker.

Pb4uski! Thanks for that video. Brightened my day....not so much the money, but his genuine kindness and the appreciation folks showed. Lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Lovely idea GH...good for you! :flowers:

I've often thought of doing something like that as well. Not being able to get another pet, my thoughts were to pay on a veterinary bill. I haven't done it yet, but I think it would be more likely to go the pet owner's account and not get lost in the shuffle. I'll go to the vet I used in the past.

Bbbaml....that works well. my wife and I have anonymously paid our local animal shelter vet bill's in the past.

Bbbaml....that works well. my wife and I have anonymously paid our local animal shelter vet bill's in the past.

That's a great idea...thanks! :)

I know of a charity that uses the local school nurses to identify needy families. You could call an elementary school and talk with him or her. You might have to be double-anonymous in that you might not be given any identifying information about the family and them about you--that's a pretty high degree of charity per Maimonides, so you'd have that going for you, too.

PS I really admire you!

Back
Top Bottom