Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Another Article on American's Debt
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Article on American's Debt

This article rehashes the findings that a lot of Americans couldn't come up with $400 if they had to. Yes, it's as bad as a Marketwatch click bait article, but there isn't a lot of financial news on a Sunday.

Spoiler alert....the reason people can't come up with money? Debt. Big, BIG surprise...right?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/20/here...d-expense.html

Quote:
Some 40% of Americans would struggle to come up with $400 for an unexpected expense. Just how are so many Americans so short on cash? Anqi Chen at the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College recently tried to answer that question. The researchers landed on a plausible cause for why so many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck: debt.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It’s really sad. Some people of course make bad choices but some are probably just victims of increasing COL. Rents and housing prices are skyrocketing here and really hurting the lower wage earners.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

True, but I bet they don't think twice about going out for a nice dinner or a sporting event. Some people will never learn how to handle their finances.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Yet the Survey of Consumer Finances, which asks respondents for their bank account balance, found the share of households who have less than $400 in their checking or savings accounts was closer to 20%.

Having spent the last 10 years of my career working for Habitat for Humanity. I can tell you many of our families had no saving or checking accounts. That way creditors could not go after any money in those accounts. Just a way of life, right or wrong.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

At least LAYM.
Live At Your Means.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of spending (and CC debt).......All the restaurants around here are full, seven days a week, if they are open on Sunday. At some of the higher end seafood places, it's nothing to have a 1.5 hour wait and they don't take reservations....

Economy is good!!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelah View Post
Yet the Survey of Consumer Finances, which asks respondents for their bank account balance, found the share of households who have less than $400 in their checking or savings accounts was closer to 20%.

Having spent the last 10 years of my career working for Habitat for Humanity. I can tell you many of our families had no saving or checking accounts. That way creditors could not go after any money in those accounts. Just a way of life, right or wrong.
Don't want to drag this off center but I know a person like that. She runs a business. All cash. NO bank accounts. I cannot be so nosey as to ask her what she does with it. Do you know how those people with no bank accounts manage and what they actually do with the money?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

$400?

Each taxpayer's share of the U.S. Debt is $183,000.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Don't want to drag this off center but I know a person like that. She runs a business. All cash. NO bank accounts. I cannot be so nosey as to ask her what she does with it. Do you know how those people with no bank accounts manage and what they actually do with the money?
Everything is done in cash for the most part. Don't get me wrong most live on little or nothing. I would never be able to make on the small amount of money most have coming in. If you would like a good read check out this book "A Framework for Understanding Poverty" by Ruby K. Payne.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
$400?

Each taxpayer's share of the U.S. Debt is $183,000.
We should open up the borders till we get that down to a buck fity!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Speaking of spending (and CC debt).......All the restaurants around here are full, seven days a week, if they are open on Sunday. At some of the higher end seafood places, it's nothing to have a 1.5 hour wait and they don't take reservations....

Economy is good!!

I don't know, I think that might be a population density thing. When we lived in San Antonio (2006-2012, in the middle of the 'great recession') you couldn't go out to eat ANYWHERE without a wait. Unless it was 2:30 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. I have never lived anywhere else that we had to wait so freaking long for a table.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelah View Post
Everything is done in cash for the most part. Don't get me wrong most live on little or nothing. I would never be able to make on the small amount of money most have coming in. If you would like a good read check out this book "A Framework for Understanding Poverty" by Ruby K. Payne.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if their "no account" technique was a survival mechanism or a scam "Force Multiplier". Sort of the poor man's version of the rich guy's Cayman Island bank account or shell corporation.

I think I already get the gist of poverty (Not to brag, ha ha)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #13

What would the economy look like if everyone " knew the value of a dollar" and was financially savvy and fiscally 100% responsible? If everybody saved their money to be spent on medical care or at least insurance, at least 20% down on a house, socked it away to go back to school to upgrade their skills and put their children through college, never ate out or went to a movie or bought an "Apple Crap Device of the Month" or whatever they're selling nowadays, or anything unless and until they had all that responsible stuff paid for first? I mean I want somebody Top Level, Kudlow, Krugmann, et al. Those guys. Do the math.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #14

I found that "or only have a high school degree" very condescending.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

All I can say is, Wow, am I special!".
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I found that "or only have a high school degree" very condescending.
Recently had a conversation with a very good friend. We do not agree, politically, but agree on a lot of the issues. He was a tradesman, I was an engineer (both retired).

There is a vast shortage of trades people, painters, mechanics, welders, et. al. These jobs pay well, and, for now, have pension benefits (if union).

I am at a loss as to why people don't think these are good jobs?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
...........I am at a loss as to why people don't think these are good jobs?
I've worked those jobs. They are very hard on your body. It is one thing when you are 25, another when you are 50+
Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've worked those jobs. They are very hard on your body. It is one thing when you are 25, another when you are 50+
Fully agree. I have worked them as well, tho only for a short period of time. But they ARE well paying jobs, and if someone is not inclined to go to college, there are good careers available.

FWIW, one of my best friends (not the one previously referenced) worked as a tradesman (non-union) for all of his career. Started as a jack of all trades, worked into a lead position as a mechanic. Invested in his 401k. Company got sold, he left with about $1.5 million. Just a mechanic. No stock options. No "enhanced" benefits. Just worked and invested.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #19

Quote:

Economy is good!!

Even Mickey Ds takes CC. I guess most other fast food "restaurants" do the same or will in the near future if they don't want to lose market share.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s really sad. Some people of course make bad choices but some are probably just victims of increasing COL. Rents and housing prices are skyrocketing here and really hurting the lower wage earners.
I am sure there are a lot of people with low income who do not have any cash after paying bills. However, 40% is a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post
True, but I bet they don't think twice about going out for a nice dinner or a sporting event. Some people will never learn how to handle their finances.
Quote:

Economy is good!!
If the statistics can be trusted, that leaves 60% of Americans with more than $400 cash.

Out of that 60%, let's say 2/3 or 40% of all people have $500 cash or more.

These are the people who go blow $100 for a dinner, and they still have $400 left. All right!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread