Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I see them as the banking version of the dichotomy of Fidelity and Vanguard.

If I want service then I go with NFCU, but I either pay more or earn less.

If I want to earn more (or pay less) then I go with PenFed, but I don't expect any service.
It's remarkable that my experience has been the exact opposite. In fact, the service I got from NFCU was so terrible that I recently closed my accounts with them.

This shows the problem with overgeneralizing, since our perception only reflects our own peculiar experiences.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It's remarkable that my experience has been the exact opposite. In fact, the service I got from NFCU was so terrible that I recently closed my accounts with them.
This shows the problem with overgeneralizing, since our perception only reflects our own peculiar experiences.
If I had more bad experiences from NFCU, or more good experiences from PenFed, then I'd be more balanced in my expectations.

I think that I should base my perception on my experiences, not on the experiences of a bunch of other people who do not share my situation.

... he said as he waited for NFCU to approve his father's application for an account.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think that I should base my perception on my experiences, not on the experiences of a bunch of other people who do not share my situation.
Which was my point, poorly conveyed.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #44
Administrator

One more data point for those who might be interested -- I recently refinanced my mortgage into a PenFed home equity loan (5yr/1.99%). The transaction was easy and I had no problems with their customer service. I recognize, however, that a refinance is a standard run-of-the-mill thing for them. They might well falter in the face of a more complex and unusual situation; I can't say from my limited experience.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords,

I know I've ranted about PenFed in an earlier thread - I don't use my accounts there at all, but do have some money there. The distaste in my mouth of what they did to me and being stranded in west Tx hoping for gas just sent me over the edge. Then the interaction with the customer service rep just added fuel to that fire. USAA has been much easier to deal with for everything - and recently Vanguard was pretty good, although both VG and USAA are driving me up a wall when I call them as I have to tell them every personal detail for them to verify that I am who I am.

So colored me unsurprised at their behavior.....
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I'm cautiously optimistic with NFCU. So far I've been able to do it all online, and they've opened a share savings account (with $5 transferred from Dad's checking account at another bank). They're going to open a no-fee checking account so that I can transfer money (from his other bank and from his Fidelity mortgage) to buy CDs.

I don't know why he needs a checking account to transfer the money, but that seems to be the rule. No fees so far.

NFCU also has a rule that you have to have an account open for at least 90 days before you can deposit by scanner. But once I can use my scanner to deposit Dad's long-term care checks, that'd save me some time & postage over Fidelity.

During the months that I've spent screwing around with PenFed, NFCU has pulled (very slightly) ahead in CD rates. So maybe this will all work out for the better.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote