Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder about this too. You'd think contractors would welcome credit cards, so they don't have to worry about bad checks. Nevertheless, every contractor we've dealt with (ten of them in the past 5 years) prefers to be paid by check. Otherwise, they charge a 3 or 4% service charge to cover the card company's fees. Don't the stores pay fees, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

OTOH, the stores must have some increase in efficiency in handling quick CC transactions, rather than taking in cash and making change. And they can avoid much of the counting and record keeping that is done to prevent theft and mistakes with cash. And, of course, they avoid the delays that occur with the people who write checks. Then, again, maybe not.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

The credit cards are good, have great online features like travel notification and tons of alerts. They are strict with foreign purchases, but I know how to work with them to make sure a foreign charge goes through.
Audrey. You say they are strict with foreign purchases, but you know how to work with them to make sure the charges go through. Would you elaborate? Do you have to do more than notify them that you will be abroad and the dates?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Audrey. You say they are strict with foreign purchases, but you know how to work with them to make sure the charges go through. Would you elaborate? Do you have to do more than notify them that you will be abroad and the dates?
Yes I do.

If you give them a travel notification including all country details before going overseas - you can actually do this online - things should be fine during your trip. I've rarely had trouble once overseas.

But if you need to make a foreign purchase before you leave like train tickets, tour deposits, pre-paid whatever, you will probably have to call them (the fraud department) to alert them about a charge coming through. The more specific you can be, the better.

One not so large foreign charge might be OK, but when it gets to number 3, things will likely be shut down until you talk to them by phone. It just gets a bit tricky when you're not yet traveling.

I had to call several times last year. I had a few train tickets to buy, and I'd already made a couple of deposits. I got blocked a couple of times and called their fraud department to get it to go through. I called again to notify them of a large charge expected from Europe and gave the details of exactly when it should occur, the amount. That worked OK.

Just be prepared....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes I do.

If you give them a travel notification including all country details before going overseas - you can actually do this online - things should be fine during your trip. I've rarely had trouble once overseas.

But if you need to make a foreign purchase before you leave like train tickets, tour deposits, pre-paid whatever, you will probably have to call them (the fraud department) to alert them about a charge coming through. The more specific you can be, the better.

One not so large foreign charge might be OK, but when it gets to number 3, things will likely be shut down until you talk to them by phone. It just gets a bit tricky when you're not yet traveling.

I had to call several times last year. I had a few train tickets to buy, and I'd already made a couple of deposits. I got blocked a couple of times and called their fraud department to get it to go through. I called again to notify them of a large charge expected from Europe and gave the details of exactly when it should occur, the amount. That worked OK.

Just be prepared....
Ditto
We just got back from spending Feb in greater Australia. To get hotels and flights for our trip--Sydney-Canberra-Tasmania-Melbourne-Adelaide, we had to make a number of reservations in advance. Called Chase ahead of time, and let them know of trip and charges coming through. I called again before we did our airfare on AirNZ since that was not going to be in Australia to be sure the purchase would process. No problems with any of them and I had a card hack half way through the process. To Chase's credit, they connected all the advisories to the new number.
Nwsteve
Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I just submitted the online application for the Fidelity 2% Visa but I have a freeze in effect at all three agencies. I'm assuming that Elan will contact me when they can't access my credit info and then I would be able to temporarily unfreeze whichever credit bureau they are using. Is this a fair assumption?
It was the B of A offer that had the free unfreeze of Trans Union. I decided to apply for the Fidelity card immediately thereafter hoping they would just use Trans Union too since I also had all three frozen. I would think Fidelity will contact you and let you know which credit rating company they want you to unfreeze. In my state you have to pay to unfreeze each account and that's why I jumped on the free unfreezing of Trans Union offered by B of A and then decided to try to get the Fidelity card through at the same time. Also trying to beef up my arsenal in my last year of employment. Two tasty birds with one free stone is hard to beat.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I just submitted the online application for the Fidelity 2% Visa but I have a freeze in effect at all three agencies. I'm assuming that Elan will contact me when they can't access my credit info and then I would be able to temporarily unfreeze whichever credit bureau they are using. Is this a fair assumption?
I talked with an Elan rep before and he told me they use 1 of the 3 credit bureaus at random. Did not give me a warm feeling that I'd get through the process without some hassle. So I just did nothing.

Maybe you'll be lucky or they'll tell you to reapply until you hit the right one. What a way to do business.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wonder about this too. You'd think contractors would welcome credit cards, so they don't have to worry about bad checks. Nevertheless, every contractor we've dealt with (ten of them in the past 5 years) prefers to be paid by check. Otherwise, they charge a 3 or 4% service charge to cover the card company's fees. Don't the stores pay fees, too?
The fees are around 2 -> 2.5% unless you are really big.

I think contractors want check/cash because once a check is deposited, you cannot dispute the charge.
They probably charge the 3 or 4% service charge as they want to discourage you, or they will use a 3rd party to run the charge and give them the money.

Contractors are not like stores that have to worry about dozens of employees stealing the money during the processes of collecting, counting, moving, depositing, etc.
Often with contractors its the owner/boss that gets the payment, not the workers, so why trade away 2% for the security that's not needed.