Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
the most subtle sarcasm I have ever seen.Ha
I appreciate that type of writing. A product of Keynes intelligence and upper-middle class English upbringing. Maybe a slight taste of his gay wit too.

I do not agree with Keynesian economics particularly but the man had a mind and has influenced many modern governments' approach to political economy.

My own sarcasm has all the refinement of a Chicago policeman's bloody truncheon.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
My own sarcasm has all the refinement of a Chicago policeman's bloody truncheon.
No argument here...
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
You're behind the times, it's Tasers now days.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I didn't realize Architect posted a Gary Shilling video interview on this subject under his post "S&P 500 in 2009". You can see and hear his explanation in this post.
Dang, it's going down to 500 now? I'm even more depressed now.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good news 500 to 0 isn't that far. Time to go back to work Where is that retiring is unpatriotic thread.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Shilling made a comment something to the effect that all stocks [growth, value, income, international, etc.] were the same asset class. I found this interesting. The point being, if the bottom drops out, all equities go down.

All of my equity assets [value, international, income, REITs] have declined roughly the same amount, while the bonds and CDs have held up. Big Duh.
Yea, an unfortunate side effect of the tech boom is that it's trivially easy for previously uncorrelated asset classes to correlate. Just a click of the button and you can move billions across the globe. The other effect is all the hot money running around tends to end up on the same side of the same trade, according to Shilling. When that trade goes south, investors (hedgies) have to sell something unrelated to meet margin. Thus a bad trade in Dubai stocks means selling in US corn futures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Keynes also termed market timing "credit cycle investing". He tried it in the early 30s, and abandoned it because he couldn't make it work for him.

There is a 12 volume biography and collection of Keynes, with many all of his works, much of his correspondence, etc.

I read the volume most concerned with investing AFAIK #8. That is where the above observation is found.

Wonderful writing too- the most subtle sarcasm I have ever seen.
I'll have to see if I can find a copy at a library around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
(3) The "permabulls" don't tend to have an I-told-you-so attitude toward people who were more bearish when they were right. People who push gloomy forecasts are much more likely, in my experience, to say "I told you so" and taunt those who didn't follow their forecasts. Nobody likes to have salt poured on a wound.
Fair enough. But there is an equivalent which is the ridicule that the bear gets from the bull. I'm usually an optimist, but I turned very pessimistic a few years ago. I was looking for discussion on these ideas, but live people I talked to acted like I should be sent to a mental institution. Online people openly said I had a tin foil hat, etc. etc. So when the bear is right it's hard to resist pointing out they were correct, because the bear had salt, well, thrown in their face I guess.

Personally though my bearish bets are all over and I'm looking forward to getting back into the bull camp, maybe next year.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Fair enough. But there is an equivalent which is the ridicule that the bear gets from the bull. I'm usually an optimist, but I turned very pessimistic a few years ago. I was looking for discussion on these ideas, but live people I talked to acted like I should be sent to a mental institution. Online people openly said I had a tin foil hat, etc. etc. So when the bear is right it's hard to resist pointing out they were correct, because the bear had salt, well, thrown in their face I guess.
I never much liked the tin foil hat adage and yes, we can get into group think here.

So, for you bears who had salt thrown in your faces:

You were right. The market was too high. We know you were right because the market dropped substantially. Now go out and buy some undervalued stocks. You may get rich off of this. I won't. I don't have the cash to spend on stocks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I never much liked the tin foil hat adage and yes, we can get into group think here.

So, for you bears who had salt thrown in your faces:

You were right. The market was too high. We know you were right because the market dropped substantially. Now go out and buy some undervalued stocks. You may get rich off of this. I won't. I don't have the cash to spend on stocks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ok ok ok, i'm buying (just as soon as it drops another 30%)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote