another house question

nnkrealtor

Recycles dryer sheets
I know that the standard for buying a house is no more than 2.5 times your annual pay. Is that the mortgage or the total house value should be no more than that 2.5?

What I am getting at is My wife and I have a household income of around 80k-150k (we both work commission jobs so it varies) but I always base my yearly budget on the lower side. I want to put 230k down on a house that is about 440k leaving a mortgage of 210 that dosn't seem too bad does it? No kids and I want to still be able to max out our 2 SEPs and a Roth IRA.

As long as you can meet your other financial goals, sounds OK to me.

The banks will qualify you using only the mortgage (no taxes, insurance ...). With property taxes going to the moon is many places, I would include taxes in the figures (just for a piece of mind).

Property taxes on this house are 1100 per year and HO insurance is approx 1000 also so I would add 175/month to the payment.

Using the "old" conservative lending rule of 28% of your annual income to service the mortgage, property taxes, and insurance, with a 20% down payment on a 500K house (I'm using this house value to make the numbers easy), you would get for your annual payments:

30-yr fixed-rate 400K mortgage at 6% => $28,800
property taxes at 1% of market value => 5,000
homeowners insurance (estimate) => 1,000

total annual expense => $34,800

required annual income = 34.8 / 0.28 = 124.3K

(home value) / (annual income) = 4

(mortgage) / (annual income) = 3.2

You can adjust the numbers for your specific situation, but the ratios should be about the same. I think the 2.5 and 2 ratios came from a time when mortgage rates were higher.

FIRE'd@51 said:
I think the 2.5 and 2 ratios came from a time when mortgage rates were higher.

... and before the days of the "I can't really afford this but I want it anyway" loan products like ARMs, interest-only loans, etc...

You should be fine.

One suggestion: You seem to be a little concerned. If you think it will be a stretch at times of low income... Consider the affect on your finances if one spouse losses their job or becomes disabled. Develop a contingency plan. Hopefully you will never need it.

That rule also applied before it took $500K to buy even a small home in many urban areas. I wouldn't sweat it. If you feel comfortable with the payments and you have some visibility on your income then go ahead.

as far as the income flucuations, on the months we make over whats needed I put the extra in an interest bearing checking account and draw from that on the months where income is below whats needed, never neclecting our retirement accounts as I pay them just like any other bill.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom