Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you think there will be a recession in 2007?
Yes for sure. A recession is looming. 11 10.89%
It is a toss. 23 22.77%
No recession in sight. 39 38.61%
I am not informed enough to say one way or the other 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Another indicator shows recession
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
RM, the real question in my mind is how closely the rest of the world will follow the US economy in the next slowdown (whenever it arrives). Hard to tell if the BRIC countries are better insulated this time around or not.
Brazil (the B on BRIC) certainly is not. A massive outflux of capital would be quite crippling, since the government uses foreign investment to finace its MASSIVE budget overruns. Brazil already has some of the highest interest rates int he world, and a massive capital flight would force interest rates even higher.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberiu
Brazil (the B on BRIC) certainly is not. A massive outflux of capital would be quite crippling, since the government uses foreign investment to finace its MASSIVE budget overruns. Brazil already has some of the highest interest rates int he world, and a massive capital flight would force interest rates even higher.
Uhuh, but where is most of the external capital coming from? Private citizens within Brazil? US (unlikely)? China? Makes a big difference in what a US economic slowdown woud mean.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Uhuh, but where is most of the external capital coming from? Private citizens within Brazil? US (unlikely)? China? Makes a big difference in what a US economic slowdown woud mean.
Mostly US. Lots of money from US investors to capitalize on the very high interests (17% APR) on the MM accounts.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Mostly US. Lots of money from US investors to capitalize on the very high interests (17% APR) on the MM accounts. That is why the Real (Brazilian currency) is so over appreciated right now.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mostly US. Lots of money from US investors to capitalize on the very high interests (17% APR) on the MM accounts.
Link?

Not being a pedant, just genuinely curious.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Link?

Not being a pedant, just genuinely curious.
If you can read portuguese, see the document straing from Brazil's largest bank (Banco do Brasil). Please see page 8.

http://www.bb.com.br/portal/dwn/fnd/dem04061548.pdf
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you can read portuguese, see the document straing from Brazil's largest bank (Banco do Brasil). Please see page 8.

http://www.bb.com.br/portal/dwn/fnd/dem04061548.pdf
Yes, and I can fly a table to the moon, too. Oh well.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...P7Y&refer=news
Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm, they quote someone talking about trade surplusses, which suggests that the Brazilian gummint may be dependent on brrowing, but the economy as a whole is not.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hmmm, they quote someone talking about trade surplusses, which suggests that the Brazilian gummint may be dependent on brrowing, but the economy as a whole is not.
As a Brazilian myself, I wish that was the case. You see, without the foreign borrowing, Brazil's goverment would have no choice but to raise interest rates (already the highest in the world) and taxes even further in order to finance its deficit (Brazil's goverment has no concept of cutting costs), which would have a devastating effect on the economy. Brazil is a 3rd world country with tax levels that rival those of seen in Scandinavian nations. A significant outflow of capital would be devastating (it would not be a new experience however, we have been through that story quite a few times already).