Join Early Retirement Today

Another legal question
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another legal question

I have a legal question. Can a lawyer bill me for something that I’ve not requested? Some background…..my sister and I inherited a farm in 1992. We split the lots of the farm having her lots put in her name and my lots put in my name except for 1 lot that we jointly own. She has recently sold her lots and gifted the jointly owned lot to my wife and me.

We have received documents to be signed and notorized in order to transfer the joint lot but the documents also include all of my other lots to be put in both my wife and my names. Although we would like to have these lots put in both our names, we did not request this from her or her lawyer. So…my question, can her lawyer legally bill us for something we did not request?

Thanks for any help

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

No, but you may want to make sure your wife did not request it be done!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol.....no, this is something we should have done back when my dad's estate was settled and it just got overlooked. We had even talked about having things changed, but now this has come up. As far as I can tell (or hope) this transfer will be billed to my sister......just wanting to make sure before we sign the papers. This is the same lawyer my sister used during the estate settlement and his fees are what I consider a bit too high.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Unless you requested the lawyer to do it you are not responsible for it.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

That's what I was hoping to hear......just making sure. Thanks very much for the help.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, he may say that you verbally instructed him to do this. And then sue you if you don't pay. And if you don't respond to the lawsuit, he'll get a default judgment against you. This kind of thing happened to my BIL and his business partner (that is, their lawyer did something he was specifically instructed verbally not to do), who were filed against separately for the bill for unwanted services. My BIL responded to the suit, which is now pretty much on hold and will probably die off, but the partner did not and so has a court judgment against him for the entire amount claimed.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post
Well, he may say that you verbally instructed him to do this. And then sue you if you don't pay. And if you don't respond to the lawsuit, he'll get a default judgment against you. This kind of thing happened to my BIL and his business partner (that is, their lawyer did something he was specifically instructed verbally not to do), who were filed against separately for the bill for unwanted services. My BIL responded to the suit, which is now pretty much on hold and will probably die off, but the partner did not and so has a court judgment against him for the entire amount claimed.
Hmmm....I'll keep this in mind. I've only personally spoken to this lawyer once. The conversation had to do with easements to parts of my property that my sister quaranteed when she listed her property for sale. Hard to explain.....but when she sold, it cut my part of the farm into two different sections.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If the lawyer's unrequested work is already done I would just pay for it. As you mentioned it's something you would want to have done anyway, but you think this particular lawyer is a little expensive. At least the work is done now and you can put it out of your mind. And if something happened to you or your wife tomorrow, God forbid, the titles are clear.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Legally, you may not owe it unless it had to be done for some reason to do with the whole sale. On the other hand, if you were going to do it anyway, and you benefited from what the lawyer did, why would you not want to pay him? At least some negotiated amount?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that I've had a chance (today) to read through all the documents I think I understand why these lots are being put in both names. I'll try to explain.

When my sister chose to gift the joint lot to me (this is the lot with the old homestead) I asked her to put it in both my and my wifes names. When she put her land for sale it was noted to any buyer that there would be easements from the joint lot through her property to my lots. The lawyer (I believe) decided that since the joint lot was in both names that the easements (3) should also be in both names and therefore my lots should be in both names.

It's not that I wouldn't be willing to pay to have these lots put in both names, but I would like to have some idea of what the cost would be before hand.
The reason I'm leary of this guy is that after my dad's estate was settled my sister took him out (and paid) for a big steak dinner in Omaha and when we got his bill he charged us an hour for the dinner. That doesn't seem right to me.....
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
The reason I'm leary of this guy is that after my dad's estate was settled my sister took him out (and paid) for a big steak dinner in Omaha and when we got his bill he charged us an hour for the dinner. That doesn't seem right to me.....

Nor me. Man, I guess all those lawyer jokes are true...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Man, that is not right. I would never ever do that and I think it is unprofessional.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Man, that is not right. I would never ever do that and I think it is unprofessional.
This is kinda the reason I asked the question about him possibly billing me.

It's now looking more like everything he's doing will go onto her tab. Using this guy for a second time is a mistake on her part as far as I'm concerned.......along with selling Iowa farmland when corn is $6 to $7 a bushel. Oh well.

Really great having knowledgeable people to help out.
Thanks again to all
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
after my dad's estate was settled my sister took him out (and paid) for a big steak dinner in Omaha and when we got his bill he charged us an hour for the dinner.
Wow. I'd like to get in on that action ... but my clients would never put up with it.