Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another mortgage question
Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another mortgage question

This is a followup to an earlier post in which I asked retired folks what sort of experience they'd had in obtaining mortgages. As I dig deeper, I come up with other questions. This one has to do with how much one can qualify for.

I understand the standard by which monthly housing costs should not exceed 28% of gross monthly income. But I'm not sure how banks apply that to variable rate and interest only loans. For example, the monthly mortgage payments for either variables or interest only will be much loert than for conventional 30 year mortgages. But there is obviously more risk (for both the lender and the borrower) with these loans. Is that reflected in a lower ratio than 28% to qualify? I could obviously take out a much larger variable or interest only loan using the 28% ratio than I could a 30 year conventional. But would a bank let me get away with that?

I'm assuming here that I would make a substantial down payment (20% - 30%) and would have sufficient assets to cover the principal although I understand banks are more interested in monthly income than they are in assets.

Thanks to anyone who can make me smarter on this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Can't help you much with current lending practices, but in the past when I stretched to get as large a mortgage as anyone's guidelines would allow, the bank actually encouraged me to take a variable interest loan just so that lower interest could allow me to qualify under those guidelines, when a fixed rate loan would not. Risky or not, they only cared if the calculation came out below their ratio limit at the time I applied.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For those in Canada, the new regulations enacted last month mean that .....

"(The 5-year posted rate is becoming the mandatory “qualification rate” for all uninsured borrowers with a variable rate or 1– to 4-year fixed term. Even if your actual rate is 2.00 per cent, you’ll have to prove your ability to pay the posted rate, which is 5.24 per cent as of today.)"

National Post, July 9, 2012
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Actually, I called one of the two CUs with which I would be interested in doing business earlier today to ask just those questions. They pre-approved me for more than I ever thought they would (for both a variable and a variable/interest only loan.) This, of course, is subject to a formal application when I really want to pull the trigger.

On one hand, it seemed that they were more liberal than the 28% rule would have indicated. On the other hand, I have had 3 or 4 mortgages (including re-fi's) with them over the years and so they know I have a good record of paying up. (I asked if they pulled my FICO in connection with the pre-approval and they said they didn't - went just on the basis of my record with them (mortgages, credit cards, savings, checking, CDs, etc.))
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
On one hand, it seemed that they were more liberal than the 28% rule would have indicated. On the other hand, I have had 3 or 4 mortgages (including re-fi's) with them over the years and so they know I have a good record of paying up.
I think the old 28%/36% rules are now just perceived to be "good ideas" and not requirements.

Lenders only care that they meet the FHA guidelines in order to be able to sell the loans. And if they're planning to hold onto the loans, then they don't even have to care about those.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote