Join Early Retirement Today
Another reason why I manage my own money !
Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another reason why I manage my own money !

Besides the fact I don't trust money managers and financial types in general. The link to the story that only validates and reinforces my mind set.

Manhunt for Georgia money manager accused of embezzling millions | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Hopefully the SOB is fish food but more than likely enjoying lobster and steak somewhere in South/Latin America.

Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
He looks like such a nice guy too !!!

Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
A quick google search indicates that they seem to know quite a lot about him, so I doubt he'll evade capture for long.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Let's see ... kill myself, or move in Rio with $17 million. Decisions, decisions!

I heard the last words anyone heard him speak were "It's a stock-picker's market."
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
"I hid many things fraudulently and deceptively, to try and give myself more time to pull some positive returns together," the note said. "To be clear, nothing has been taken, only lost through stressful periods of trading a bad investments ... I am emotionally overwhelmed and incapable of continuing in this life."
Wow...most con artists simply disappear. He is actually trying to mount is defense ahead of time (true slickster). Rather than admit he stole the money, he merely "lost it through bad investments.". That way, if/when he's apprehended, and it comes to light that he has assets in other countries, he can say that he was trying to take advantage of the opportunities in ______ in these other countries, and he merely ran out of time to capitalize on the return, "just as my suicide note said".

But, wait....he had kept some of the assets invested, and was just biding his time for the value to increase. And as a matter of fact, he was just about to sell the property and return the money to the investors when the gov't caught up to him and arrested him right before he was able to do so.

Out of all of the 'suicide' attempts, jumping off of a ferry in the ocean has to be the most fake. Not only would it have to be an insanely tall ferry to have a decent chance of dying on impact, but if he truly did want to die (which he apparently did not), and he happens to survive the impact, most people don't want to face the possibility of floating in the ocean with a broken arm/leg/neck, begging that the sharks take a big bite out at your neck to make it go quick, and not end up being slowly torn apart by smaller fish. There are hundreds of other ways to get the deed done with far greater certainty if you're trying to do it.
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

I heard the last words anyone heard him speak were "It's a stock-picker's market."
More like a pocket-picker's market...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
As discussed in other threads I have started this year to buy some deferred annuities... so far so good. The agent has not disappeared yet

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote