Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just remembered 4 more places where I have visited their Chinatowns: Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Agreed. Taste is personal. I would not go to P.F. Chang when there are so many authentic Chinese restaurants in my area.
I have not been to Minneapolis, but when I do, will visit its Chinatown too. You can tell I like Chinese food. Well, I like all kinds of food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
... (btw, they do have other political parties)..
Really! Perhaps someone else will chime in to inform us, but I thought what is common with the few remaining Communist countries in the world is that the citizens can vote for anyone they want, as long as the candidate is from the Communist Party.

To each his own. About investing in China, its local economy has a lot of room to grow. By investing in companies and countries that export commodities to China, I can participate enough in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
IMO much of the Americans' (and the West in general) fears and apprehensions concerning the growing Chinese economic and political strength is due to good ole fashioned xenophobia.

I hope that the links above work - the first is a great poem written from the Chinese cultural perspective while the second is the thoughtful way to view the economic relationship between the USA and China. I suspect that this entire thread will be turned upside down after reading Grannis' article.
The Chinese are hard workers, no doubt about that. Among my friends, we do not begrudge their success, and often say that they have slowly become capitalists, while we are slipping more to the left. In the 60s and 70s, factories in China and the Soviet Bloc had such low outputs because the workers spent more time to talk about work than doing actual work. Sadly, the Chinese have learned to work more and talk less, while in the US, companies are spending more time for BS like touchy-feely stuff and slogans.

Still, I have jaundiced eyes towards any country that does not give its citizenry true political freedom, and where a dissident can be thrown in jail for voicing opposition, and not kowtowing to the leaders. In fact, I maintain a personal policy of not even visiting those countries. I do not follow politics in the Far East, but have read that neighboring countries of China have grown a bit weary of its military might.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am afraid we, as a nation, already work for them as they own our debt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
just in case, we might be working for them in the future.

enuff

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... I do not follow politics in the Far East, but have read that neighboring countries of China have grown a bit weary of its military might.
I'm quite certain ALL countries on earth are weary of the USA military might.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...I do not follow politics in the Far East, but have read that neighboring countries of China have grown a bit weary of its military might...
Yeah, the Chinese are pretty bad that way--consistently invading sovereign states and/or using their intelligence service to topple democratically elected, but 'unfriendly' regimes. Oh wait...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
neighboring countries of China have grown a bit weary of its military might.
Did you mean "wary"? Both words make sense in this context, but I think "wary" would be more appropriate here.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Hey, we have a lively little discussion going on here. One never knows when posting that there will be anyone reading his ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Gee whiz, it's tough to be the world cop. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Whenever there was some genocide going on in the world, nearly every humanitarian looked to the US to intervene. Who else are they going to call? Sometimes the intervention worked, like in Kosovo. Most other times it did not. It's a love and hate relationship with the US, the same as with the police patrolling your neighborhood.

Sigh...If these little countries would just behave, then no one would get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Yeah, the Chinese are pretty bad that way--consistently invading sovereign states and/or using their intelligence service to topple democratically elected, but 'unfriendly' regimes. Oh wait...
Umm... If you try to use some non-violent means, you still get in trouble. Boy, it's just not fair. If you cannot topple some despots by a bit of subversion, who are you going to topple?

OK, enough jesting around. I am no student of politics, or foreign relations, but I think all countries have spies and do dirty deeds. If it's the game that people play around the world, can you opt out and not do what everyone does? I do not know.

But while the US is no saint, whatever its government does, its people will eventually know. There are always leaks and whistle blowers. On the other hand, about China, don't they still have firewalls on the Internet to block all information on the Tiananmen Square event? The US is far from a perfect place, but it is still better than many other places, China included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
Did you mean "wary"? Both words make sense in this context, but I think "wary" would be more appropriate here.
I believe SE Asian countries have been "aware" of the Chinese dominance in the region for many years, acutely more so after the demise of the Soviet Empire. Have there been some border skirmishes, and more recently disputes over some small islands in the region? Will there be another Tibet?

As far back as 10 years ago, I happened to read a published article somewhere that SE Asian countries liked to get back the US presence in the area, mainly to keep China in check. Was that true, or was it propaganda by some American imperialists who wanted to get back there? What China's neighbors really want, I do not know as I do not live there, but about the US coming back, that is just not going to happen.

Anyway, let's hope that everybody is so busy working that they don't have time to stir up trouble. "Make money, not war". That gets us back to the economy discussion. Yes, I don't begrudge the Chinese their success. They work too damn hard. The right way to get ahead, either as a nation or as individuals, is to work hard and or smart. As the Chinese already work pretty hard, it is going to be tough to beat them on that aspect. Americans must work harder on the smart part. Oops, I used the word h*rd again.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #47

Quote:
... I do not follow politics in the Far East, but have read that neighboring countries of China have grown a bit weary of its military might.
Quote:
Quote:
Gee whiz, it's tough to be the world cop.

Sigh...If these little countries would just behave, then no one would get hurt.
I did not detect any sarcasm so you must be very serious. I can't recall an election where the USA was elected to be the world cop.

I agree with you that some little countries do not behave well, but is this big country, the USA, behaving?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #48

<begin rant>
We're simply fat and happy, propped up by numerous tax advantages, not willing to work until we die. The gov't takes care of us, and we whine when our benefits are lowered. When our pumkin seeds are transported thousands of miles, instead of a few hundred, we complain, not recognizing the long trail of regulations that makes that possible. Our problems stem from lack of education. Our attention is on Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, and we give in to quick fixes. Many of us never studied the constitution, but that is not necessarily an impediment to running for public office, is it? We are destroying ourselves. The USSR, the terrorist, the Chinese--these are all distractions, or have been. We have no one to blame for this situation but ourselves.
</end rant>
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
<begin rant>We have no one to blame for this situation but ourselves.
</end rant>
Agreed. Apathy and ignorance make for a lethal combination.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I don't know and I don't care.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not detect any sarcasm so you must be very serious. I can't recall an election where the USA was elected to be the world cop.

I agree with you that some little countries do not behave well, but is this big country, the USA, behaving?
No sarcasm? I guess I did not write that well.

Many of my friends are libertarian, and they often said that the US should just withdraw from the UN, which they said was funded mostly by the US, and had not achieved much. I disagreed with them, but as time goes on, I begin to think perhaps they are right.

By the way, because I mentioned "island disputes" I googled that term to see if I know what I talked about, and guess what country showed up most often. I sure hope the US will not get involved in those. So far, I believe it hasn't. We have enough problems growing our own pumpkins for seed, I tell you.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #52

A couple of years ago I heard an interview with a woman whose family had tried to live without China for year just to see how far their products had gone into the USA supply chain. Her conclusion was it was darn near impossible as detailed in her book "A Year Without 'Made in China,'".

U.S. family tries living without China | Reuters

Recently I heard an interview about a company a US company that had began making and selling frisbees and water noodles and under-cutting the Chinese companies on price.

I just did a search and found that the story had also been covered on the TV.

Frisbees and Pool Noodles to be Made in the USA Once Again -- TheDailyTube
Old 10-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Due to Alan's post, I just remembered reading a story about the closing of the last factory outside of China that made aspirin.

So, I searched and found it. In 2008, that last factory in Lyon, France stopped making aspirin. Details are here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/magazine/02fda-t.html.

Other articles found on the Web said that China now makes nearly all of the world's vitamins, penicillin, and most of the Tylenol. Whether that is good or bad, the above is the fact.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Due to Alan's post, I just remembered reading a story about the closing of the last factory outside of China that made aspirin.

So, I searched and found it. In 2008, that last factory in Lyon, France stopped making aspirin. Details are here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/magazine/02fda-t.html.

Other articles found on the Web said that China now makes nearly all of the world's vitamins, penicillin, and most of the Tylenol. Whether that is good or bad, the above is the fact.
That's all very interesting, but did you hear what Lindsay Lohan is up to?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

If one is just mildly curious to read through the above lengthy article to see how the FDA went about inspecting the drug makers in China...

Oh forget it. Was Lohan out of jail yet? Who is she party'ing with? Anybody has links to juicy photos?