Join Early Retirement Today

Another SS Question
Old 02-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another SS Question

SO my wife applied for SS online and everything went well no problems. Her BD is April 30th and one of the questions when she wanted to receive her first SS check. She opted for May as her first SS check. Today she got something from them and they said her first SS check will be June 27th, 2018.

Is that right or is there an issue with her first check. BD April 30th and wanted a check for the earliest date she could and that would of been May. What I researched she should be eligible for a check in May.

She would never try to get it changed if there seems to be a mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
gone traveling

When did she apply?

My understanding is that it can take 4 months to receive your first Social Security check.

If you apply the recommended 3 months before your birthday, that means the first check can expected to arrive the month after your birthday.

You can always call Social Security and ask about it.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The month of payment is right. My first month was August...and I got the first check in September. Not sure how they determine when the payment is issued.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #4

Social Security pays one month in arrears. Her first month of eligibility is the month after her birthday, so May. The May payments are sent in June.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for some comparisons and the information. She applied online 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #6

Funny(not really). DW filed in Dec for SS benefits to start at her FRA. She turned 66 this month. The letter she received from SSA states that she is eligible for benefits beginning Feb 2018. She will receive her first check for February on Mar 21st.

Looking at a copy of her application, it says under "When to start benefits: Benefits to Start Feb 2018: Yes".

So naturally, I'm thinking that maybe she accidentally filed for 1 month early. But her quoted amount is exactly the same as her last annual SS Statement estimate for FRA.

I can only state what I have in writing.

I just found this. It appears that whether the 1st month is in the month of your B'day or not is dependent if you are filing early or not:

Quote:
 404.311. When does my entitlement to old-age benefits begin and end?
(a) We will find you entitled to old-age benefits beginning with:
(1) If you have attained full retirement age (as defined in § 404.409), the first month covered by your application in which you meet all requirements for entitlement; or
(2) If you have attained age 62, but have not attained full retirement age (as defined in § 404.409), the first month covered by your application throughout which you meet all requirements for entitlement.
(b) We will find your entitlement to old-age benefits ends with the month before the month you die.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you started receiving SS before 1997, your payment date is the 3rd of the month. All others, if your birthday is the 1-10th, you will get paid the 2nd Wednesday of the month; 11-20th on the 3rd Wednesday, and 21-31st on the 4th Wednesday.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting information thanks for all your help.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
If you started receiving SS before 1997, your payment date is the 3rd of the month. All others, if your birthday is the 1-10th, you will get paid the 2nd Wednesday of the month; 11-20th on the 3rd Wednesday, and 21-31st on the 4th Wednesday.
DH collected spousal prior to switching to his at 70. My birthday falls so I receive my payment on the 3rd Wednesday. DH's birthday falls for payment on the 4th Wednesday, however, continues to receive his on the 3rd, same as mine.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
This is not true for those overseas, I get my deposit on the 3rd of every month,unless it is a weekend and I will get it on the 1st or 2nd.
NYEXPAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes, SS is always paid one month in arrears.

FWIW, despite on the criticism of SS I found that my online application was handled well. Yes, it did take a few months to be processed and worked out, but there were no problems. I needed to confirm that I had been married and divorced so I sent in the proper documents and got them back a few weeks later. That was about it for 'extra work' on my part.

Today SS money rains down on me every month.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
SO my wife applied for SS online and everything went well no problems. Her BD is April 30th and one of the questions when she wanted to receive her first SS check. She opted for May as her first SS check. Today she got something from them and they said her first SS check will be June 27th, 2018.

Is that right or is there an issue with her first check. BD April 30th and wanted a check for the earliest date she could and that would of been May. What I researched she should be eligible for a check in May.

She would never try to get it changed if there seems to be a mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have almost the same birthday and my 1st check is also due to be paid 6/27. Looks correct to me. However some of the third party calculators do not account for this.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #13

That pay one month in arrears threw me off when my wife signed up as well. So instead of Dec being marked on the online signup, the actual first deposit was Jan.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote