Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi all,

Still in flux, but now for me, I'm now seeing it as a true "gift". This will give a chance to refocus my career -- which went off track a few years ago. This became real apparent after putting together a resume.

Also, confirmed that I believe I am employable and marketable -- had to contact people in my own network and put feelers out there. No job in hand, but believe I can find a job in 6 to 12 months. I believe age isn't as much of a factor, if I can rely on network.
If not can go on contracting route...

Also compared to being laid off (WFR), it has no medical, so two years of medical is sweet. Also why stay and try to find a job if the company is giving that "gift" for you to find a job.

This comes down to the question, of risk tolerance, and being real honest with yourself on whether you think you are marketable and taking the plunge.

3 more days.... Truely the toughest decision ever.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
No WFRs in his group that I know of. The stuff he works on is slowly going to India, however, and he's doing stuff he doesn't like so he's taking the EER. Since he wants to continue working, we know he'll have to take a pay cut, especially where we live, or move. As the day approaches, it gets a little scary, but kind of exciting, too.
At least a few WFR's in my area... Pawprint, while taking a pay cut, I realize I was overpaid at Megacorp, so my thinking was that WFR's will be inevitable. I also realized I probably want to work another 10 years, so thinking I have to truely take charge of own career (even with an initial pay cut) to do that.. I would agree, that this is a surge of energy, almost like this was a jolt that was required to put everything back in focus on what was important... Scarey, yes, but thinking about possibilities..

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

influx2012..."Scarey, yes, but thinking about possibilities"..is the best description of this entire process.

Only three days left...I have listened to colleagues, discussed with counselors, and most importantly talked openly with my family about the road ahead. Surprisingly, my friends and family are the ones cheering me to take the package.

Yes, it would be financially wise to stay but last ten years here have taken a toll on my passion and drive for success.

“GO FIND YOUR SMILE” is my mantra!!

Best wishes.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
Where we live, there have been newspaper articles about how companies aren't finding skilled people in DH's field. Of course, perhaps they're only looking for kids with these skills, not older workers. Luckily, we can live on our retirement savings--just don't want to right now.
American business leaders make this sound like a new problem: so many jobs to fill but no one "qualified" to do it. It's not a new problem at all. But once upon a time, industry hired *people* (not just specific skill sets) and provided something called "on-the-job training" to develop the skills. But that costs money and they can't be insanely productive on Day 1, so they don't do that any more. It also gives them an excuse to send jobs to India and seek to fill positions with an H-1B visa....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unless you are prepared financially to be out of work for 2-3 years and then end up with a lower paying job I would not take the package. I know a lot of people that work and have worked at the same company that you do. I know several that were WFR'd over 2+ yrs ago and still have not found a job that pays even close to what they were making. I would start looking for a new job now and make the transition when you find one that is a good fit.

A couple of years of less than great, but "over paid", employement is a much better scenario. Particularly with late teens and early 20's children, a time that is critical for most people to really be building up their fiancial assest.

FWIW, I would not take the package if I were in your shoes.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetNclose View Post
Unless you are prepared financially to be out of work for 2-3 years and then end up with a lower paying job I would not take the package. I know a lot of people that work and have worked at the same company that you do. I know several that were WFR'd over 2+ yrs ago and still have not found a job that pays even close to what they were making. I would start looking for a new job now and make the transition when you find one that is a good fit.

A couple of years of less than great, but "over paid", employement is a much better scenario. Particularly with late teens and early 20's children, a time that is critical for most people to really be building up their fiancial assest.

FWIW, I would not take the package if I were in your shoes.
Troubling... For the several that were WFR'd what was line of work? In early 50's? 2 to 3 years is a long time..
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Well, I did it!

I had until 8PM EDT last night to rescind my early retirement application. Talk about nerves, my stomach was in a knot as the deadline passed.

So then this morning at 04:30 the pager wakes me up with a customer call. I get up, take care of the issue, eat some breakfast, and the pager goes off again with a customer about 75 miles away requiring an on-site visit. Got back home about 2PM this afternoon.

God I'm going to miss this job! I can't imagine weekends where I can do whatever I want whenever I want to. I'm also going to miss the $$$$ from working all those hours.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby5832708 View Post
Well, I did it!

I had until 8PM EDT last night to rescind my early retirement application. Talk about nerves, my stomach was in a knot as the deadline passed.

So then this morning at 04:30 the pager wakes me up with a customer call. I get up, take care of the issue, eat some breakfast, and the pager goes off again with a customer about 75 miles away requiring an on-site visit. Got back home about 2PM this afternoon.

God I'm going to miss this job! I can't imagine weekends where I can do whatever I want whenever I want to. I'm also going to miss the $$$$ from working all those hours.
Congrats Bobby! I'm sure you're going to miss it.. I felt "knots" on Friday AM, but yet I knew this is the best decision for me and my family. I did not think about rescinding at all and feel good about my decision. I know it will be scary, but I feel so free and excited about the opportunity. The generous severance will give time to regroup, and reconnect with family and retool my skills to what I know I love doing. I have put feelers in the market, and can steer my career where I want it to go. This was an opportunity to connect with people I know who left mega corp, and thrived.. Thank you everyone who helped give input on the 4 week somewhat tortuous but satisfying journey.