My employer recently changed due to "high level" discussions, so I thought it would be a good time to roll over my TIAA-CREF holdings from the University into my IRA.
Call 1: pointed me to forms online. Great.
- discovered there were 44 pages to fill out, including mucho duplication. Didn't seem right so...
Call 2: said call 1 was wrong, sent me 4 partially prefilled forms. Great.
- discovered errors including thinking I lived in Washington, D.C. but only for one of my 4 accounts with them. That error triggered 2 more required forms for DC only.
Call 3: explained the above, got advice, etc.
- all forms submitted; subsequently 3 of the 4 accounts rolled over, one remained.
Call 4: Asked about the lingering account that failed to roll over. Learned about their computer "platform" transition. Wait a few days.
- got home to find an urgent FEDEX from a new service rep; my account couldn't be transferred because of a zero balance (not)
Call 5: Sorry, it was the computer platform. Disregard and wait.
- last account seems to have gone out today.
Just another week at TIAA-CREF. Darn "computer platforms."