Join Early Retirement Today

Another tidbit from Bernstein's Book
Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another tidbit from Bernstein's Book

One of the pieces of advice in Bernstein's new book is keeping a simple investment allocation. He mentions a couple of times that he has no problem with someone who wants to hold Vang. Total Stock and Vang. Total Int'l. Stock funds as their portfolio. Isn't that really like a target date fund? Does anyone have this simple portfolio and do you rebalance it at the end of each year or so?
FedExCourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

I think there are lots of us with very simple portfolios. But many of us would add a third fund that contains bonds.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the process of designing my ER portfolio that will be put into action in 3 months. I have most of my first 5 years money in a retirement trust because it is paying a guaranteed 2% for now. I'm thinking more along the lines of a hybrid of Bernstein's "coward's porfolio" and Armstrong's "ideal index" portfolio but I want to keep the rebalancing part very simple. Are there any computer programs that will show a personalized graph of the purchase price of each fund I will have and how much it has grown or declined at year's end?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I think there are lots of us with very simple portfolios. But many of us would add a third fund that contains bonds.
I'm in Canada but this is pretty much me. VTI, VXUS, a Canadian stock ETF (actually three XIU, XIC and VCE depending on when they were bought) and a bond fund (ok a couple). I also have a little small-value slant, the ETF escapes me at the moment. Try to keep it pretty simple. The main pain is keep track across different accounts.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
The main pain is keep track across different accounts.
Yep. I need to take the time to roll my old 401k out, and consolidate my IRAs. But there would still be taxable, Roth, and IRA - so still 3 accounts to keep track of. Right now I have about 8 or 9 between Hubby and me.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

All you need is three..Vanguard Total Stock, Total International and Total Bond. But I think some of us were able to take advantage of PenFed 5 year CD at 3% and made that a large portion of the fixed portion.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Quicken Deluxe automatically downloads holdings and updates daily, for most fund companies. DW and I have about 12 different accounts, due to job changes and different IRAs, so it's a big time saver.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExCourier View Post
....Isn't that really like a target date fund? Does anyone have this simple portfolio and do you rebalance it at the end of each year or so?
With respect to your first question, Vanguard's target date portfolios are generally various percentages of four funds; Total Stock, Total International Stock, Total Bond and Total International Bond with TIPs added for those closer to retiring. See https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/...ls?fundId=0682

I think a 3 ticker portfolio can be quite sensible if you want simple, adding Vanguard Total Bond to the two equity funds you mention.

I personally add international bonds and emerging market equities and bonds, but even then could live with 6 tickers.

I actually have many more than that for various reasons, but if you want simple, I think a 3 or 6 ticker portfolio is very sensible.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

A downside to using the Vanguard Target Date funds is that they use investor shares of the underlying funds rather than admiral shares, so a DIY portfolio with admiral shares will lower your expense ratio. You also lose some ability to hold different asset classes most tax efficiently (e.g. bond index in tax deferred and stock index in taxable).
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Does anyone have this simple portfolio and do you rebalance it at the end of each year or so?
I am currently reallocating my portfolio in order to simplify it as I will turn 70 in a few months and I think that my 60/40 AA should be 50/50. My core funds are all Vanguard Index funds ~ TSM, Total International, ST TIPS and Intermediate bond Idx. I occasionally rebalance whenever my allocation gets off by about 5% or so.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm thinking about the Vang. Short Term Bond Index for that allocation or simply keep my Wellington fund since it has bonds in it. I've got a pension starting when I retire and that is what I'm really counting as income from a bond type investment. SS will not start for another 6 years but that will be another type of bond annuity. Maybe putting 20% or so in the bond portion.