Join Early Retirement Today
Another Value vs Growth article to ponder
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Another Value vs Growth article to ponder

I'm still holding true to my value/SCV tilt and I think that it still a wise long-term strategy. Here's what Investor Solutions has to say about it.

The data used in this analysis was only twenty seven years because it was based on the Russell 1000 index which dates back to 1979. Longer historical data is available via other indexes and the results are the same. There is a value premium that is consistent domestically, internationally, and in emerging markets as well, in both small and large equities. For some reason individual investors are building their portfolios in the exact opposite manner by overweighting growth stocks. Maybe they like lower returns and higher volatility, but, I doubt it.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Hmmm - I dumped my sm value/REIT indices in 2006 and went more to Ben Grahams 'the middle way' via a Bogle - esque Total stock market(TSM iindex) - just buy the whole dang thing and whichever side skins or shirts(ie value or growth) wins - you own it -at the lowest possible cost ( and lowest turnover, heh heh heh).

Now then - still have my thumb on the scale with 15% dividend Norwegian widow stocks( a form of value) - but slowly(taxes permiting) scewing toward more growth(as in div growth).

Why? Cause the look back numbers say I'm wrong and Wall Street has been feeding the ducks in recent years with dividend products and then the tax break recently. Being retired, a former live by the numbers en-ga-neer - retired says driving into the future looking into the rear view mirror - maybe isn't the best course.

Willing to conceed RTM ala Bogle may exist - my favorite investment theory(chickenheartedness) rather than bet contrary - just buy the whole thing at the lowest cost/turnover.

Of course I'll continue to read the articles.

heh heh heh - pssst Target Retirement plus a few side bets(individual stocks). Numbers - I don need no stinking numbers - I'm retired!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote