Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking of telling people that I've moved into an "intelligence job, can't discuss the details ... sorry". Said with a wink and a nod.

Will that work?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If asked, I would just say something like this (insert the appropriate former and present jobs accordingly):

"Oh, I decided to move from my job as (Grand Poo-bah at Megacorps? Fill in the blank), to this great new part time job that I have (flipping burgers a Mickey D's? Fill in the blank)".

You could follow that by saying that you love your new hours and the smell of rancid oil in the morning (or whatever). That should throw them completely off balance, at which point you say, "How about dem Saints?" or "Do you know anyone at all who has obtained a new insurance policy through healthcare.gov?" or some such emotionally charged question, to change the subject.

Later, they will be asked by their friends or spouses, "How is bspooky doing these days?" They'll answer, with a puzzled expression, "I'm not sure. I think he lost his job or something; he's working at Mickey D's, but, brave guy, he has such a great attitude."
One thing I always notice is that service workers often seem happy at work. I stop in regularly at a few restaurants etc., and people are always friendly, upbeat and basically cheerful. Yesterday I had to stop by my gym and cancel my subscription, as it is just too hard to use right now. So cheerful friendly young woman named Rosie with a genuine voice and a genuine smile helped me get set up. After leaving there I walked up the Fidelity Office, where I wanted to deposit a check. Some suited guy in their outer lobby with a dead face and dead voice seemed only able to reluctantly take care of my business for me. After that I went to lunch down in the market- again friendly, smiling ordinary workers.

Ha
Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bspooky - you don't have to come up with a name for it. If anyone asks, or it comes up otherwise in conversation, you can simply tell them what your situation is.

You can say,

"We work part-time"
"We work a little"
"We work occasionally"
"We don't work much anymore"

...or whatever other description fits best. I am not trying to sound glib, but you can simply use the English language to describe your situation. No need to "brand" yourself by coming up with a name.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspooky View Post
What do you call working 25-50% time for some years for 1/10th your previous wage so you can enjoy life more?
part time
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

"Free at last".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #26

A grand-poohbah at work just announced he's leaving the company. His global email said he was going to "take a pause in his career".
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Someone coined the term "pretired". i think that's pretty goo, except that you'll end up having to explain it to most people. I generally tell people I'm a financially independent investor.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It is refinement.

Having time to enjoy and pursue the finer things in life, at leisure.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

"I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets
Make love to these woman languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home..."

Steely Dan, on what I do all night day...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have been using "retigerment." Implies finding one's inner tiger, after years of keeping it tightly leashed.

Amethyst
Love it!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Sabbatical
Bikewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
"I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets
Make love to these woman languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home..."

Steely Dan, on what I do all night day...
learn to play the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink scotch whiskey all day long
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What do you call working 25-50% time for some years for 1/10th your previous wage so you can enjoy life more?
A cut in hourly wage so severe it's not worth considering. How would that be more enjoyable?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #34

I started with entrepreneur adventurer and in trying for something more fun then entrepreneur; thought of going rogue but that turned out to mean shady dealings.
Try remittance man, let them worry if you meant welfare or living off the fruits of your portfolio-or your dad's.
I tell people I am living off my good looks. That stops them dead-for good reason.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #35

Now I'm trying to remember a series of private detective novels where the guy took a job then didn't work again til he ran out of money.He lived on a houseboat. Anybody know what that was??
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
A cut in hourly wage so severe it's not worth considering. How would that be more enjoyable?
The enjoyable part is a combination of working part time (vs full time) and in a job that is either helping people or is fun (vs being burnt out and so far removed from having a positive impact). My current job pays very well, but there isn't an opportunity for it to go part time. At our net worth and projected (and current) level of spending, $10k to $20k of retirement income from a PT job for several years can help offload the stress some, but albeit not a ton, of both worry and our investments. Firecalc and other methods seem to indicate we are close/borderline in our ability to retire outright, so some income coming in for a few years would be beneficial. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are great and and many quite entertaining!
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Now I'm trying to remember a series of private detective novels where the guy took a job then didn't work again til he ran out of money.He lived on a houseboat. Anybody know what that was??
ONLY MY FAVORITE SERIES OF ALL TIME!!!!

John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series.
I own a copy of every book he wrote.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I put my life on the fast track by removing inefficiencies that hampered my self development while simultaneously exploiting the synergy of reduced expenses, lower frustration and a healthier lifestyle.

It’s annual review time at work, so I’m kind of in review BS mode. I don't really have to fill one out this year since I will be gone before raises occur.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The enjoyable part is a combination of working part time (vs full time) and in a job that is either helping people or is fun (vs being burnt out and so far removed from having a positive impact). My current job pays very well, but there isn't an opportunity for it to go part time. At our net worth and projected (and current) level of spending, $10k to $20k of retirement income from a PT job for several years can help offload the stress some, but albeit not a ton, of both worry and our investments. Firecalc and other methods seem to indicate we are close/borderline in our ability to retire outright, so some income coming in for a few years would be beneficial. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are great and and many quite entertaining!
Still, unless you misstated the numbers, 1/10th the salary for 1/4 to 1/2 the hours? In other words, you were making (example) $50K working 40 hrs/week but now will be making $5K working 10-20 hrs/wk? That would be a cut in pay from ~$25/hr to $5-$10/hr. If I loved the job enough to take that pay cut I'd stay full time and keep the higher rate. JMO, though.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

"Financially Independent" with a wink and a big smile usual works just fine for us.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote