Another word besides retirement

Sunny

Recycles dryer sheets
So we are getting close. I wanted 2014 to be the year and we are considering scaling back our expectations in order to make it, but realistically 2015 or 2016 may be more likely.

Anyway, we don't like to say retirement as that brings up images of slow lifestyles or not working at all. We may very well work part time. Being 44/56 we will likely work fun jobs, but high pressure career jobs will be over. Semi-retirement doesn't sound quite right, freedom sounds corny, FIRE too hard to explain....

What do you call working 25-50% time for some years for 1/10th your previous wage so you can enjoy life more?

Slowing down
Going part time
Changing priorities
Changing focus
Smelling the roses
Sharpening the saw
Etc........

Last edited:
Welcome, bspooky.

I think the answer depends. Are you looking for words on which to construct your own model? Or a phrase to use in conversation?

"Starting a business" is one phrase that may serve both purposes. As in walking in the house after the retirement party and saying "Now we're in business!"

Mostly for in conversations with others. Somewhat tiring to hear "you are too young to retire" and also want to avoid drawn out explanations. Our finances are our business of course and we do not owe anyone explanations. However, on the flip side a method of explaining away quitting lucrative careers and working what some would consider menial jobs for part time and part of the year is desirable.

And partly for our own frame of reference. We are fortunate to be where we are and need to wrap our heads around this too.

I have been using "retigerment." Implies finding one's inner tiger, after years of keeping it tightly leashed.

Amethyst

I started ratcheting down in 2002, now 1-2 days a week if and when I want to work. Friends and relatives refer to my job as my "situation" or "arrangement" in conversation. I refer to it as part time, semi-retired, doing consulting or whatever term seems to fit the day. Experiment with a few terms and see what fits.

Last edited:
Yep, consulting, or maybe private investment manager. Of course, drunken layabout works as well...

I call it "rejuvenation": to restore to a previous state, to make young again, to make fresh or new again.

I tell people that I retired from my career job in 2006 and started my low stress part-time job in 2010. I was working 24 hours per week, but my office manager had a stroke 10/21/13 and I have been working 40 hours per week since that time. Not sure when she will be able to come back to work. We do not see patients on Tues and Thurs, so as long as every thing is done, I am allowed to surf the web, read, watch TV, etc. I had everything done, by 8:15AM today. Just answering the phone, sending prescriptions, etc the rest of the time. I will still be glad to get back to 24 hours per week.

Mostly for in conversations with others. Somewhat tiring to hear "you are too young to retire" and also want to avoid drawn out explanations. Our finances are our business of course and we do not owe anyone explanations. However, on the flip side a method of explaining away quitting lucrative careers and working what some would consider menial jobs for part time and part of the year is desirable.

And partly for our own frame of reference. We are fortunate to be where we are and need to wrap our heads around this too.

You left mega-corp to pursue your passions!

I tell people "through hard work and being very fortunate, I'm now pursuing an encore career on my terms."

I never fully understand why anyone would be concerned about finding some euphemism to call their "early retirement" or having a need to explain themselves. And having a "long drawn out explanation" takes two, there's no need. When it comes up for the first time, just downplay your status and change the subject - it's pretty easy, even with family and close friends. 'There are advantages and disadvantages to work and retirement' (there are), 'I might like to go back to work at a different career' or something along those lines whether true or not.

They won't admit it but most (not all) people just want to be told that (early) retirement is not nirvana, and they're OK by continuing work - it's not about you.

You can go on and on about how wonderful (early) retirement is or how much you saved to enable your retirement, but you're just asking for more questions, maybe even uncomfortable ones. So just tell them what they want to hear right off the bat and be done with it, that's where the conversation will go to anyway.

And many times the other party really doesn't much care, they're just making conversation, and the early retiree makes far too much of the questions - it's just making conversation often times.

Last edited:
Yep, consulting, or maybe private investment manager. Of course, drunken layabout works as well...
You will need a bunch of basically stupid friends to get away with anything other than the last.

Ha

Even though I wouldn't be considered an ER, I think I'll just tell people that "I lost my job." I won't be trying very hard to find a new one and I'm very picky about what I am willing to do. I certainly won't work for less money or with less responsibility. I'm not willing to relocate or have a long commute. If people really annoy me, I tell them money is getting tight and I'll ask for a "loan."

The quip that I always liked (but didn't use) was that "I retired for health reasons (I was sick of working)". :D

If asked, I would just say something like this (insert the appropriate former and present jobs accordingly):

"Oh, I decided to move from my job as (Grand Poo-bah at Megacorps? Fill in the blank), to this great new part time job that I have (flipping burgers a Mickey D's? Fill in the blank)".

You could follow that by saying that you love your new hours and the smell of rancid oil in the morning (or whatever). That should throw them completely off balance, at which point you say, "How about dem Saints?" or "Do you know anyone at all who has obtained a new insurance policy through healthcare.gov?" or some such emotionally charged question, to change the subject.

Later, they will be asked by their friends or spouses, "How is bspooky doing these days?" They'll answer, with a puzzled expression, "I'm not sure. I think he lost his job or something; he's working at Mickey D's, but, brave guy, he has such a great attitude."

Another word besides retirement:

At age 53, we called it "testing the waters"... 24 years later, so far, so good. :greetings10:

I'm thinking of telling people that I've moved into an "intelligence job, can't discuss the details ... sorry". Said with a wink and a nod. ;):cool:

Will that work?

If asked, I would just say something like this (insert the appropriate former and present jobs accordingly):

"Oh, I decided to move from my job as (Grand Poo-bah at Megacorps? Fill in the blank), to this great new part time job that I have (flipping burgers a Mickey D's? Fill in the blank)".

You could follow that by saying that you love your new hours and the smell of rancid oil in the morning (or whatever). That should throw them completely off balance, at which point you say, "How about dem Saints?" or "Do you know anyone at all who has obtained a new insurance policy through healthcare.gov?" or some such emotionally charged question, to change the subject.

Later, they will be asked by their friends or spouses, "How is bspooky doing these days?" They'll answer, with a puzzled expression, "I'm not sure. I think he lost his job or something; he's working at Mickey D's, but, brave guy, he has such a great attitude."
One thing I always notice is that service workers often seem happy at work. I stop in regularly at a few restaurants etc., and people are always friendly, upbeat and basically cheerful. Yesterday I had to stop by my gym and cancel my subscription, as it is just too hard to use right now. So cheerful friendly young woman named Rosie with a genuine voice and a genuine smile helped me get set up. After leaving there I walked up the Fidelity Office, where I wanted to deposit a check. Some suited guy in their outer lobby with a dead face and dead voice seemed only able to reluctantly take care of my business for me. After that I went to lunch down in the market- again friendly, smiling ordinary workers.

Ha

Reactions: W2R
bspooky - you don't have to come up with a name for it. If anyone asks, or it comes up otherwise in conversation, you can simply tell them what your situation is.

You can say,

"We work part-time"
"We work a little"
"We work occasionally"
"We don't work much anymore"

...or whatever other description fits best. I am not trying to sound glib, but you can simply use the English language to describe your situation. No need to "brand" yourself by coming up with a name.

Back
Top Bottom