Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhit View Post
The role of pensions and SWR s are not usually included in SWR calculations,are they?

However, I am counting on SS, otherwise I would probably plan on something lower than 4.6%. The 4.6% was based on Firecalc with SS runs. This gets me in the 96% success category.
Studies that discuss SWR make it clear that the income you need from your portfolio is after subtracting pension and SS income from your expected annual need. Firecalc simply lets you model having SS and pension income among many other things.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Said it before and I'll probably say it again. I've never used the SWR concept to "live by" (actually, slavishly pulling X.YZ% out of the port each year). Rather, I used it as a planning tool BEFORE retirement to see when I had enough to pull the trigger. I always assumed that once I had enough to comfortably live on about 4% or a little less, that I'd play the actual withdrawals by ear as events unfolded. That's what I've done in ER.

If your success in ER DEPENDS upon being able to (slavishly) pull a given amount (in the 4% range) out of your port (or else you starve or live in the street), I'd rethink the whole process. Too many variables, not enough data and heaven only knows the future. Keep telling yourself over and over, "IT'S ONLY A TOOL. IT'S ONLY A TOOL..." Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I run firecalc I put in SS of 70% of what my statements say it will be, then aim for a 95% success rate. I don't believe it won't be there, but I'm not certain it will be what they project it will.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Said it before and I'll probably say it again. I've never used the SWR concept to "live by" (actually, slavishly pulling X.YZ% out of the port each year). Rather, I used it as a planning tool BEFORE retirement to see when I had enough to pull the trigger. I always assumed that once I had enough to comfortably live on about 4% or a little less, that I'd play the actual withdrawals by ear as events unfolded. That's what I've done in ER.

If your success in ER DEPENDS upon being able to (slavishly) pull a given amount (in the 4% range) out of your port (or else you starve or live in the street), I'd rethink the whole process. Too many variables, not enough data and heaven only knows the future. Keep telling yourself over and over, "IT'S ONLY A TOOL. IT'S ONLY A TOOL..." Of course, YMMV.
Well said Koolau. I think this is what everyone does/will do in retirement also weather they admit it or not. KISS.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - pretty much what it comes down to! Flexibility in spending is probably the key to a successful early retirement if you are challenged with a run of "bad" years.
The problem is the models assume static behavior on the part of the human, when in fact, the human behavior is dynamic and iterative.....one can narrow in on a percentage amount that is a 'guideline.' It looks as though we have a fairly tight range to work with based on the models and tweaking. However, to assume there is only one number and the money spender will not change their consumption and/or withdrawal rate is naive.

As a previous poster said....it's just a TOOL. YMMV.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Since Jan of this year, we use a 3% AWR using a port consisting of 65% equities + 35% cash (5yr CD ladder). We planned on a 40 year retirement from Jan 2013.

Our total expense ratio = 0.71% (expense ratio 0.07% + tax ratio 0.43% + hidden fees 0.21%).

The current net yield (interest + dividends) of our portfolio = 1.23%.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
to assume there is only one number and the money spender will not change their consumption and/or withdrawal rate is naive.
I don't know a single person that makes that assumption either on line or in the real world. Do you?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

Apparently we both acquired the same "play book". Used the guides only as a tool. Being an engineer, threw in a safety variance.

Similar to steering a ship. It may look like a straight line from point A to point B, but you will make many steering adjustments along the way to keep on course. I wish you all smooth sailing.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

withdrawal rates have varied considerably over the years.

Does the 4% rule hold up? | Vanguard Blog
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the thing missing from many of these SWR discussions is that all the data are based on a 30 year retirement. Most of us here are probably planning on a 35, 40 or 45 year retirement. Is there any academic data on SWRs for these longer durations?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
I think the thing missing from many of these SWR discussions is that all the data are based on a 30 year retirement. Most of us here are probably planning on a 35, 40 or 45 year retirement. Is there any academic data on SWRs for these longer durations?
Yes, many of the studies go beyond 30 years. The SWR heads toward about 3% for the normal conditions. However, the end portfolio values are so varied that you have to question the value of demanding the precision of 40 years versus 30 years. Also, when using historical data, there are 10 less test scenarios (starting years) when looking at 40 years instead of 30 years.