Join Early Retirement Today

Antidote for Optimism
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Antidote for Optimism

Charlie Rose - Jeremy Grantham

A very interesting interview by an excellent interviewer of an impressive thinker. Jeremy Grantham interview by Charlie Rose.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link.

I just finished listening to the whole 53 minute and 39 second interview.

Since he did the numbers I can't argue with his conclusions. Yet I think he is way too optimistic on the benefits of alternative energy. Can't agree with his reasoning for opposing the keystone pipeline. ie it would perpetuate the idea that fossil fuels are more available for the long term, simply based on technology advances in extraction.

I definitely see his point on the bubbles, and have to agree.

He does not have any use for Greenspan's methods, and not so much for Bernanke's either. I think his point about keeping interest rates low is valid. I do agree with him that it does not help the economy.

I'll need to listen a few more times to fully understand his points. It is a long interview, need a score card to keep track of the issues, players and his opinions.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully get a chance to listen later when I can give full attention. -ERD50
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
He does not have any use for Greenspan's methods, and not so much for Bernanke's either.
I actually got the feeling that he thought Mr B was even more misguided and destructive than the Maestro.

I think he doesn't believe that pure academics should have thls very powerful policy making position.

Ha
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Really interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I watched it live the other day, and I knew Mr Grantham is considered a 'perma-bear' by many, but the interview was pretty depressing for the long term from my POV - appropriate thread title ha.

He did say they don't see any short term issues with the US/global economy or markets.

At the same time, some of his major longer term concerns seem well founded if we (globally) don't change our ways. Without some changes in human behavior and/or some technological breakthroughs, we could get into trouble with population, climate change, food, energy, water, etc. That said, technological breakthroughs have prevented past issues over and over (as Charlie Rose pointed out), and we'd all like to believe it will happen again and again, as it has in the past.

But when Jeremy Grantham starts talking about bubbles again, his timing may be off, but his track record seeing them coming appears to be pretty good. Might be worth considering when he gets alarmed again. Stay tuned?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Has Grantham translated his market views into index beating returns for investors over the longer term?

I'm guessing what the answer is but don't want to bias anyone here.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Has Grantham translated his market views into index beating returns for investors over the longer term?

I'm guessing what the answer is but don't want to bias anyone here.
Nah, he is dumber than dirt.

Ha
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting. I could listen to him for days. He makes a lot of valid points on so many different things. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I just put 2 and 2 together and realized that Jeremy Grantham is the person behind the Grantham Foundation. He's literally putting his money where his mouth is.

Grantham Foundation - Home