Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been hitting my BRK.b tiggers (limit orders) - blew through 2500, 2250 etc. My 10% gambling portfolio is already completely in BRK and I am sorely tempted to dip into the value Index stuff and move them to BRK even though my AA plan forbids it.

-h

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein View Post
I have been hitting my BRK.b tiggers (limit orders) - blew through 2500, 2250 etc. My 10% gambling portfolio is already completely in BRK and I am sorely tempted to dip into the value Index stuff and move them to BRK even though my AA plan forbids it.
I don't know what's up with Berkshire, but I suspect the market is deciding to value its positions in the financials at zero.

Didn't quite hit my low-ball limit order for five shares at 2201, though. Yet.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Where's the "Plunge protection team"
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the stock market is trading on its perception that nobody in Washington has a clue. From looking forward to a rescue, the market has come to fear a horrible botch.

This market has been weaker than ever before during the early days of a new administration. Obie must have expected that appointing all the old Clinton warhorses would reassure people, but it doesn't seem to have worked. In particular, Geithner seems to have laid a very stinky egg.

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #145
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Where's the "Plunge protection team"
Maybe the "Plunge protection team" is shorting stocks.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

I've still got a bunch of funds that my old CFA talked me into. I've been very hesitant to sell them because I didn't want to be buying high selling low. But I'm very seriously considering doing just that now for various reasons.

1) Get out of the funds I don't want, freeing up my money to invest where I think it should be.

2) Taking losses or minimizing capital gains, while accomplishing 1.

3) Capitulating, and thereby reversing the entire market trend and ending the financial crisis.

I'll let you know when I pull the trigger so you can get back in in time. Or would that be insider trading?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

We sold our house in January and here we sit with some dry powder and no idea of what we should do with it.

At least my employee's credit union (Bless their hearts) is paying 3.5% while we vacillate
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yet we can't tear ourselves away. The crisis has brought record ratings to CNBC and its parade of talking heads. You're probably still entrusting your portfolio to the experts running mutual funds. Despite everything, we can't shake the belief that elite forecasters know better than the rest of us what the future holds.
Hmmm - well. The crisis has caused me to turn CNBC OFF. I guess other people (new people) are watching the slow train wreck. IMO CNBC is adding NO VALUE in this situation - just a bunch of screamers and whiners and people freaking out. I wish the grown ups would come back and start covering finance, but in the mean time I've got better things to do.

Audrey
Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I wish the grown ups would come back and start covering finance, but in the mean time I've got better things to do.
Which reminds me that I miss Lou Rukeyser.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - well. The crisis has caused me to turn CNBC OFF. I guess other people (new people) are watching the slow train wreck. IMO CNBC is adding NO VALUE in this situation - just a bunch of screamers and whiners and people freaking out. I wish the grown ups would come back and start covering finance, but in the mean time I've got better things to do.

Audrey
I have turned off CNBC too. Today I have the movie "30 days of Night" (30 Days Of Night - Official Site) in the background and it's far less scary than listening to CNBC right now.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Bought 80 shares of VTU. throwing money to the wind.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Which reminds me that I miss Lou Rukeyser.
Me too.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #153
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Bought 80 shares of VTU. throwing money to the wind.
I've been buying in sizable chunks all the way down since July 08.
I dumped 25K into stock mutual funds this week.
In 5 or so years I will either look like a genius or a fool.
Your guess is as good or better than mine.
Steve

PS. Repeat after me- buy when everyone is fearful (say it over and over and please make it my/our reality)
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
PS. Repeat after me- buy when everyone is fearful (say it over and over and please make it my/our reality)
I'm buying about $2000 worth of S&P500 index funds every two weeks. I'm sure fearful and I feel like a dumbsh*t so it must be the right thing to do.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #155
Administrator

Oh, man. The Dow is down to 7366 at market close today. Oof. Ouch. That is so low. A person would have to be a real optimist to be bullish today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh, man. The Dow is down to 7366 at market close today. Oof. Ouch. That is so low. A person would have to be a real optimist to be bullish today.
I bought today. Moved 5% from fixed income to equities. I'm still low on equities, but feeling more optimistic every day
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

It will rise (one of these days) although the next few rises will probably be characterized as bear market rallies. Selling right now on long positions is irrational. I really believe that it would be a grave mistake for anyone who does not need all of the money right now. I can understand not buying (though I wish I was that brave-Actually, I am as to a DCA approach to a 72k 402(b) account my wife created from her modest teacher salary). Most of the folks who panic and sell now or at (shudder) Dow 6000 will probably wait for a 4 or 5 thousand point rise before they again commit. Buy and hold, do or die, live free or die, etc., etc.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Full auto - Target Retirement 2015 - go team, fight, run that ball! - er something.

Now - with the Norwegian widow stocks - still haven't moved any deck chairs on the Titanic - but soon as I cure this small bout of chickenheartedness:

You'll see - a few good stocks and next season Saint's in the Superbowl - .

heh heh heh -
Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #159

Quote:
Just that number alone is scary. Retired in 1988, moved all the 401k into income fund, finally decided we couldn't live the rest of our lives invested like that. Wife and I had a big talk and went back into stock mutual funds in 1995 when the DOW was at 5000. Doubled our money, got out when it was 11000, back in when it was 9000, out again at 11000. Fourteen years later, look where it is. Don't have the time left anymore to take chances.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

What a ride! Phew.