Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, the more the market drops, the closer it is to the eventual bottom by definition. The more it drops now, the less it can drop in the future. How's that for positive thinking?
Good one! I am glad I wasn't drinking coffee, or it would have sprayed all over the monitor screen.

Pollyanna The Glad Girl would have been glad that the bottom has dropped out of the market, because once it gets down to zero it can only go up. It makes us feel glad to see a market moving upwards. Glad, glad, GLAD, I tell you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Good one! I am glad I wasn't drinking coffee, or it would have sprayed all over the monitor screen.

Pollyanna The Glad Girl would have been glad that the bottom has dropped out of the market, because once it gets down to zero it can only go up. It makes us feel glad to see a market moving upwards. Glad, glad, GLAD, I tell you!
You may not be drinking coffee, but from the sound of this you're on drinking something...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

By nature, I'm a bull; but, time has run out on me. I don't have the years left to invest in the future because for me, the future is now. I'm totally into CD's at this point in time. My only objective is to make sure there are funds available to take care of my wife for the rest of her life should I leave first. However, my grandson just entered the workforce one year age with a great job in the medical field. I'm trying to get him to buy into the market now. At 21, what does he know about stocks and the future of the market; but I tell him there are thousands of people out there that will contimue to make this country succeed and for the market to act in a bullish fashion. It is not for him to reason why, it is for him to invest and high. What better chance to get into the market. Does anyone out there feel the same?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You may not be drinking coffee, but from the sound of this you're on drinking something...
Mike's Hard Lemonade and leftover filet mignon for breakfast this morning - makes it feel like the market is up. It is nice when you get exactly what is needed for Valentines.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #46

Quote:

Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Believe it or not, I bought a tad of one of my dividend stocks today.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Any Bulls Left?

....a few in TX....
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #49

A little glad text for the soul:

Of course as a warning Pollyanna did become paralyzed by reaching for her lifes goal when it was really much too dangerous!

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Any Bulls Left?

....a few in TX....
At least the few that have survived the drought. It's really bad here, folks.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I laugh every time I watch that ETrade baby ad, and I've seen it at least 30 times.

Whether bullish or not, there's no reason to feel like a dumbsh*t for holding or buying stock now. The dumbsh*ts are the ones selling.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well one thing Texas has plenty of - when driving thru last Christmas Holiday they were putting up windmills in Texas as far as the eye could see.

A little razz about Texas - but there seems to be money in all that there blow.

heh heh heh - Haven't checked the 'high plains' lately.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
... I'm trying to get him to buy into the market now. At 21, what does he know about stocks and the future of the market; but I tell him there are thousands of people out there that will contimue to make this country succeed and for the market to act in a bullish fashion. It is not for him to reason why, it is for him to invest and high. What better chance to get into the market. Does anyone out there feel the same?
Absolutely, there's no time like the present. At minimum, he could go like I did in '72, invest money I could forget about and not depend on for 35 years. No one knows the market's future, but just imagine what would happen to business if no one ever invests.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty dry around here too. You know it's bad when you welcome sleet and hail....
Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah, it's pretty dry around here too. You know it's bad when you welcome sleet and hail....
The Drought Monitor has us in 'Exceptional Drought' category D4. Most of the state is dry, but here in the middle there's one really, really parched patch. No wildflower season this year, I guess, which sucks since we could use the slight tourism boost it would bring...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Drought Monitor has us in 'Exceptional Drought' category D4. Most of the state is dry, but here in the middle there's one really, really parched patch. No wildflower season this year, I guess, which sucks since we could use the slight tourism boost it would bring...
Yep, the prolonged lack of rainfall in this part of the state is the worst on record - records dating back 150 years.. It was so bad late last summer that snakes were climbing up on our deck to get to the dog's water dish. Never seen that happen before...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Whether bullish or not, there's no reason to feel like a dumbsh*t for holding or buying stock now. The dumbsh*ts are the ones selling.
I really do wonder at times if this board was around in 1930 and if it was if investors were saying the same thing back then?

The Law of Mean Reversion scares me.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I really do wonder at times if this board was around in 1930 and if it was if investors were saying the same thing back then?
I wonder what would have happened if we had the Internet, CNBC and CNN in 1930.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I laugh every time I watch that ETrade baby ad, and I've seen it at least 30 times.

And the really smart ones sold in October 2007 and are buying now.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, the prolonged lack of rainfall in this part of the state is the worst on record - records dating back 150 years.. It was so bad late last summer that snakes were climbing up on our deck to get to the dog's water dish. Never seen that happen before...
Not to hi-jack this thread anymore that it has been but is the drought worse than the "dust bowl" days?