Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
.....focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).
Yikes! And last year I was a bit miffed at myself because I gave the government an interest free loan of paid in about $700 too much!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've used both the installed software versions as well as the 'online' versions in the past. I didn't notice much, if any, difference between them. (TT as well as others also)

Like LOL!, that's one reason I preferred the 'installed' version, over the 'online' version. Plus, I have a 'trust' issue with online stuff....as in....I have a hard time trusting online stuff for security reasons. It may all be in my head, a figment of my imagination, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in online security. There have been too many "Oops! Your identity/privacy/etc. has been breached!" cases over the years for my
Security: I'm totally in sync with the online security issues.
Timing: I like the installed version right on my laptop so I control when I can do taxes, not being subject to a web site's reliability.
Modelling: I also use the installed tax software version (after I do my actual taxes) in direct concert with some "what if" portfolio modelling at Morningstar. It provides a good guess-timate of tax implications for any planned exchanges or sales and gives me a rough idea of TLH actions I may need to take.
Technology control: The transfer of last year's data feature is more reliable with my tax files right on my laptop. Local storage also gives me complete over date file backup, not the case with a public web site.

To each their own...

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just finished working on our taxes through Vanguard's site with TT Deluxe (yes, free is very good ), all done online through the TT site. I'm choosing not to worry about security issues--focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).
Last year I owed so I upped the amount taken out of my pension and now this year I'm getting $3,000 back . After much investigation I have figured out what happened . Now I have to figure out what to do with any extra $3000 ?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #24

I can understand people avoiding online tax preparation for security reasons -- I avoid it, also. But the fact of the matter is that the data is out there already. Banks, brokerage houses, IRS (think e-file), credit card companies, credit reporting agencies...

There is something to be said for not using online services when there is a "totally secure" alternative. But a company like Intuit that hosts an online service that uses private data is going to make a pretty darn good effort to keep the data with which they are entrusted secure. I would be very surprised if Intuit does not have regular independent security audits.
Imagine what a headline like "Intuit Reports Data Breach: 75,000 SSN's Stolen" would do for their business. Tax prep is probably easier to secure than something like credit card transactions where your card number and information associated with it go through a number of different places before the transaction is complete.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

freebird
Security: Please - If you're on this site with the same system you use for taxes, you're more susceptible to a data mining attack than any online service. So I guess for the truly paranoid run sw on a standalone system that is never connected to any device that is connected to the internet. Of course, this precludes any of the handy download of financial info in the software.

Timing: I've never experienced an online service outage. I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps at times some would get sluggish based on the number of users, but I haven't really had any significant problems.

Modeling: I've run what-ifs etc with online sw. Even done some 'annonymously'.

Technological Control: Only a complete noob or idiot doesn't download a copy of the finished return, including all worksheets, etc. Backing this up does not take any extra effort and making a hard copy will insure against any queer electrons. Worst case I have to reenter personal info the next year, if I decide to change services or NOT pay the 'deluxe feature' fee. It takes maybe an extra 5 or 10 minutes at the most and it is sometimes the price to be paid for 'free'. Your typed response above took more time than reentering personal data would and I doubt if you were paid for it...
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Last year I owed so I upped the amount taken out of my pension and now this year I'm getting $3,000 back . After much investigation I have figured out what happened . Now I have to figure out what to do with any extra $3000 ?
We can combine our refunds and start a hedge fund
Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just finished working on our taxes through Vanguard's site with TT Deluxe (yes, free is very good ), all done online through the TT site. I'm choosing not to worry about security issues--focusing instead on why I had a bit too much withheld last year ($9,000 refund--oops).
I was talking about the desktop version, not the online version. I would be afraid to trust the online version, although there is probably nothing to worry about.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
Administrator

I am DONE - - DONEDONEDONEDONEDONEDONEDONE!!!!

My refund is $1750 which is going straight to my "repay the nestegg for the car"(RTNFTC) fund.

Next year my taxes should be simpler and TurboTax tells me that my estimated taxes will be smaller this year. Less money for the IRS, more money for the RTNFTC fund.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am DONE - - DONEDONEDONEDONEDONEDONEDONE!!!! ......
I was just surfin' the 'net wastin' time, so I decided I'd go ahead and do my taxes to kill some time......ciphered 'em out just using the IRS's form and instruction book (both in PDF format). And dog gone it.....I gave the gov't a $685 interest free loan last year! Not a whole lot of changes from 2008. I guess I'll have to do some calculating, and file a new W-4P to try to get my stimulus to the gov't lowered this year!

At least my refund will cover part of what I paid for some passenger cars and locomotives for my model railroad empire!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Costco just mailed out a coupon for money off Quicken and TT. I recycled it because we're not upgrading this year, but if you're a member you should look at the most recent coupon book.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #31

Meant to include with my last post, that T. Rowe-Price offers 35% discount on all of the 'online' TT versions, and 25% discount on all of the 'downloadable' versions. While many places offer the 'online' TT Basic for free....TRP charges for it! What's up with that?! Cheap-skates! Heck, even my local, hometown 'brick & mortar' bank offers that one for free!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #32

Im using BOA its 35% off. The online version that is. Ive used it for 2 years now. Works AOK.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

The 2009 tax forms look pretty straightforward so I think I will just use Excel for mine. For me, the main advantage of TC or TT is doing the extra AMT calculation, but since I'm just taking the standard deduction I don't think I need to worry about that this year.