Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
freebird, I have been idly scanning want ads out there (just for "fun", kind of like picking a scab at this point) and the climate is wierd:
These are the requirements for a "Receptionist".. no other title, just "receptionist":
Geez.. if I could manage the entire company finances AND the regulations angle, AND manage (nay, "lead") AND train the staff AND do customer service AND marketing AND work the computers, I'd be the boss, not the receptionist!! From $33k.
I've seen more ridiculous expectations, but not all in one ad like this..
looks more like a senior office manager to me.
i really liked the scab picking analogy. i am not really all that serious about a j*b, but between inflation, my fixed income and dh2b's post divorce expenses + child support, we are living very tightly. so i figured i could do some part time w*rk for mad money so we can enjoy our selves a little more. i will continue to "apply" and see who calls.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Rethinking retirement
Old 11-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rethinking retirement

I was contemplating retiring July of 09 or 2010 but now have to rethink this. I will be at my max % in 2011 but if I do go sooner feel that I may have to work at least part time. Not sure what I am going to do. If I could sell my house, and not give it away, it wouldn't even be a problem and I would retire in July of 09.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I always said, when w*(king that the illusion of control of your day/life was important. The fact that Iyou could take off during the day or a vacation on my schedule and such gave that illusion. However, deep down I always knew it was an illusion, and you still had to play 'Mother May I' and somebody could always say no.

Retirement turns the illusion into reality. That is what usually snaps me back when I think of going back to work. Once you sip from the cup of true freedom I don't see how anyone ever goes back and stays happy.
So true Rustic23. I have seriously considered going back to work and many here thought I was nuts! Well, I guess I am but that's a different story In any event, you are so correct in your observation that it's hard to consider going back into cubicle city once you have sipped from the cup of freedom.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree w/Rustic.. I wouldn't mind doing something constructive for pay, but I would hate to be locked in to a 9-5, 50 weeks a year thing. Temping might not be bad if the work is there; I remember a college summer where I did some unskilled light factory-type work through Kelly svc.s but those jobs are far fewer than they were 30 years ago. I really didn't mind it for the short term, and found the plant sort of interesting, as was the mix of workers (students, oldsters and immigrants).

Another funny ad I saw was for "EXPERIENCED ONLY" interns.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Me

This Sept I took a part time job with a box store. I know all the horror stories about dealing with the public, but I loved it. I only lasted 7 weeks before I turned in my notice. I wanted a couple of days work per week and they wanted 4-5 and every weekend.

My fellow employees did not want me to leave as I do not mind hard work and I have extensive hands on product knowledge. The customers and I got along great.

They called me last Thursday to see if I was interested in coming back to work. I have to call them today to talk about work hours. I'd love to go back as the benefits to me are greater than the pay. The department I worked in handled the products that I used in one of my hobbies for years, the store is in the town I am trying to move to, and I was able to meet many people in that town that had similar interests to mine. We shall see what we shall see.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Not looking for a job, but would go back if needed. I'm trying to keep my skills up to speed by volunteering at the police dept and court.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msully76 View Post
I was contemplating retiring July of 09 or 2010 but now have to rethink this. I will be at my max % in 2011 but if I do go sooner feel that I may have to work at least part time. Not sure what I am going to do. If I could sell my house, and not give it away, it wouldn't even be a problem and I would retire in July of 09.
I hope things work out for you. Frank may have to delay his 2009 retirement too, if his investments continue to decline. Hopefully a solid bull market will be upon us before too long.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #48

W2R - This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I was wondering. If Frank had last Jan. 2007, say $1M in savings and would retire and take out $40K, then using 4% inflation, couldn't he take out $41,600, and still be OK. It would appear to me that people that are thinking about delaying retirement, may be doing so unnecessarily.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
W2R - This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I was wondering. If Frank had last Jan. 2007, say $1M in savings and would retire and take out $40K, then using 4% inflation, couldn't he take out $41,600, and still be OK. It would appear to me that people that are thinking about delaying retirement, may be doing so unnecessarily.
Rustic, I wish that were the case, though his situation is more complicated. I don't think I should have started talking about it behind his back, though; sorry!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #50

W2R, I am going to move this over to Timing Your Retirement. I would move the post if I could or knew how. But will repost there.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #51

i might go back to work full-time. not only has my paper net worth been seriously depleted during this non-depression, but i'm down on cash reserves (started with 3 years' worth, had no idea it could take longer to liquidate a stupid house).

i could still sell-out and vagabond comfortably though not with the comfortable cushion i thought i had. also now that i have re-met my father and that he seems somewhat contrite, maybe i might like to get to know him better between his recent 80th birthday and upcoming death.

i figure between what borrowed time he's left and the time it would take to gain some of my net worth back, i'd be looking at five to 10 more years of hanging around here. i originally quit in thinking a life of travel would be fun, especially since i thought i was parentless (dad had disappeared). but hanging around here for the last two years without working and without vagabonding has not been so much fun. maybe i just don't remember how much i disliked the work i was doing when i quit. maybe i'll try something different. it just seems right now that work would solve pretty much all of these problems. so, are there any jobs left?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
hanging around here for the last two years without working and without vagabonding has not been so much fun.
Lazy..... that's what's happening at our house too. Portfolio is down 25% - 30% (and seemingly more everyday). Living in our home, paying the normal bills and enjoying a little entertainment is still very doable. But extensive travel and pricey entertainment have dropped off the radar screen and DW and I both admit that a blank travel/entertainment calendar is not so much fun!

The first few months of RE, just not working was an absolute thrill and I marveled at the joy of it everyday. The year or so after that, we spent quite a bit on play and "fun" was plentiful. Now, we've cut back somewhat on discretionary spending, the memories of work seem to have faded and just a hint of boredom is setting in.

As you say..... The past few months "have not been so much fun."

But, at 61 (FIRE'd at 58 yo) a job ain't gona happen unless the job description is related to cashing my SS check beginning next year!