Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In another thread, people are reporting how they perceive of the spending by the public, as a way to gauge the economic downturn. May I ask about your experience on Ebay?

My items are all selling but a lot more watchers than bidders right now .I sell Banana Republic , Ann Taylor and Chico's clothes and the market for them is still good . I also sell vintage china and that always sells .I occasionally sell Dickens Christmas houses for a friend and they are not selling or only a rock bottom prices . When the market continued to drop I seriously considered going back to work for one day a week but I'd much rather sell on ebay than that . The ebay selling just funds my fun money category which I use to travel and spoil my grandson .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired at 52 and have been decompressing/fishing for the past year and a half. Recently decided to pursue a deferred dream and started working on an associate in science degree in veterinary technology. The local humane society (large shelter with a veterinary staff) has expressed interest in having me work part-time (my definition: no more than 16 hours per week). The beauty is that this is something that I chose, as opposed to 'needed', and gives me a wonderful sense of contributing. I thought I would miss my co-workers when I retired, but have found the shelter staff to be young, dedicated, and engaging. And the W2 allows me to continue to pad the Roth with 'earned income' (serial saver), although I would do it for fishing bait. Don't suppose I'll share that with my new boss, though. For no particular reason, attached is a pic of a pup the DW and I are fostering. And, in conclusion, a shameless plug . . . estimates are that only 5% of the population has ever visited an animal shelter. If you know of anyone considering a four legged companion, please encourage them to visit a local shelter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.JPG (366.1 KB, 7 views)
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And, in conclusion, a shameless plug . . . estimates are that only 5% of the population has ever visited an animal shelter. If you know of anyone considering a four legged companion, please encourage them to visit a local shelter.

your little foster puppy is just adorable.
i am very proud to say all 3 dogs i have ever owned are all humane society specials. i have 2 right now. but be careful, those cute little faces will make it tough to leave for the day. i have a friend who volunteers at the shelter, and she sez she spends more than twice the time she originally planned on. all said with a huge smile.
ok, i'll steer myself back on topic...sounds like a great way to continue roth contribs. puppy slobber and all.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey102 View Post
estimates are that only 5% of the population has ever visited an animal shelter. If you know of anyone considering a four legged companion, please encourage them to visit a local shelter.
It's really only 3%, and the other 2% is my DW, over and over and over. We just lost our old boy (17 year old Aussie Terrier) so we're down to 3, all rescues. I've made her swear no mas. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just can't imagine going back to work. I think about it once a month or so, and the thought of it.... well it's just not pleasant.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
socca, I'm floored that you've not heard of them!
I did a little more research on the Carlyle Group this morning on that impeccable source of unbiased information - youtube I found this 6 minute clip that's worth watching:

We taxpayers should contract with a spy to become an employee of the Carlyle Group to expose what's really going on: who are the shareholders, managers, officers, subcontractors, and clients, and what are they up to? This would be fascinating. As long as our spy can pretend to put making money above all other goals or principles, he or she would fit right in. I would be a good candidate, since I used to be like this However, I've done my time among the war-profiteers - this needs a younger face. Any volunteers?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Just wondering if the recent events has made anyone who has already taken the plunge think about wading back into the cesspool of, dare I say it, doing that thing outside the home that pays you money. What about those who were on the brink of FIRing? Have your plans changed at all?
Not quite on the brink, but close enough. My plan is to FIRE next summer. So far, our plans have not changed, however the recent financial events has certainly prompted me to re-examine. FireCALC and other online calculators still look okay, just not as comfortable as they were a few weeks ago before the meltdown. The big question of course - are the current market conditions an anomaly or will it take years to recover as some predict? I will see how things look six months out from now and then decide if we are ready to make the break. I don't want to get hung up on the "just one more year...." merry-go-round but current conditions warrant special attention.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired in early October but have been offered a job that I think I'd enjoy that would last about 18 months or so. They know my situation (that I'd prefer to be retired) but want some help- it's full time but could work from home 2 days a week, pay is good. My original plan didn't call for me to retire until I'm 55 which is about 18 months away.

Must admit, I'm thinking about it as I had planned to live off a nice severance check from my previous employer before starting to use my retirement funds in about 2 years- this would let us use the severance to purchase a good amount of land in southern Missouri where we could build when we're really ready. Our dream is to build a log house and we have the funds to do this but going this way would let us be able to get a lot more land and some upgrades to the house.

My DW has about 2 years to work until she can get a small retirement with medical benefits paid so we need to stay here in Virginia until then, if we could leave now, would be gone by the end of the week as the cost of living is ridiculous.

Will probably have to make a decision next week, waiting for my former employer to review the job as well to make sure it isn't considered something that would violate the severance agreement. I do have to say that if the first 30 days of retirement is any indication, I love it so a lot of mixed feelings!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Been FIRED since July, I plan on subcontracting some snowplow work this winter for some mad $$$ I hate snow and cold, this seems like a good way to get off the couch and do something when the snow flies...

Pay is $65.00-$85.00 per hour
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'M CRUSHED...i got a rejection post card from a local grocery store. it seems they aren't interested in hiring an ex-"rocket scientist" as a part-time pharmacy technician. i would have been really good at counting pills.

oh well...back to being FIREd. <sigh>
Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'M CRUSHED...i got a rejection post card from a local grocery store. it seems they aren't interested in hiring an ex-"rocket scientist" as a part-time pharmacy technician. i would have been really good at counting pills.

oh well...back to being FIREd. <sigh>
Most if not all states now require a pharmacy technician to be certified, nationally and/or through the state. So even though you are 'over' qualified via your education - that yearly fee and paper certification is what makes the difference. :confused:
Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Most if not all states now require a pharmacy technician to be certified, nationally and/or through the state. So even though you are 'over' qualified via your education - that yearly fee and paper certification is what makes the difference. :confused:
yes, TY for the info. the ad stated they would train new employees and pay for the certificate. all that was required was a HS or GED, clean record, clean driver's license, pass both a background check & a substance screen.
oh well....
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #33

Our plan was to try ER for a year (we started 5/08) to get an idea of what our expense needs would be. We still plan to stay unemployed till mid may 09, but after that will go back to work - but for another reason.

Now, we're thinking of going back because of the risk to our portfolio longevity caused by the large drop in equities. If we can reduce our withdrawal from our portfolio or eliminate withdrawals, it will allow our portfolio to recover faster.

Still haven't figured out what we'll do when we return to the work-force, but its still 6 months out.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #34

freebird, I have been idly scanning want ads out there (just for "fun", kind of like picking a scab at this point) and the climate is wierd:

These are the requirements for a "Receptionist".. no other title, just "receptionist":
Quote:
Four-year college degree (strongly preferred)
Experience in the hospitality, restaurant management, or apartment management industry (required)
Financial management skills e.g., ability to analyze P&L statements, develop operating budgets, forecasting and capital expenditure planning
Outstanding people/customer service skills
Superior communication skills (listening, speaking, writing)
Ability to train, develop, lead and inspire a high-functioning team of employees
Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking skills
Effective change management and problem solving ability
Knowledge of revenue management, marketing strategies, government regulations, and safety standards (e.g. OSHA, EPA, ADA, Fair Housing, EEO, etc.)
High degree of flexibility and high tolerance for change
Computer proficiency
A competitive spirit: we're the best of the best and want a superior team!
Geez.. if I could manage the entire company finances AND the regulations angle, AND manage (nay, "lead") AND train the staff AND do customer service AND marketing AND work the computers, I'd be the boss, not the receptionist!! From $33k.

I've seen more ridiculous expectations, but not all in one ad like this..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #35

A couple of years ago DW applied for a part time $9/hour secretary job at the local university. They had multiple people with Ph.D's applying for it. Apparently there are a lot of people in WV, like us, who are just not interested in dealing with city traffic for bigger incomes.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #36

Age discrimination used to be allowed here, until just a few yrs ago. I laughed my head off when I saw the ad for a bilingual secretary with a 4 year degree and 10 years experience, maximum age 25. So, the successful candidate had to have started college at 11, and work at 15...Oh, by the way, had to be a 'she', and 'she' had to be attractive in addition to her college degree, 10 yrs experience, and relative youth...

R
Old 11-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #37

oh yeah.. still alive and well here.. there are incentives to stimulate 'youth' employment. Not too many 25 y.o. experienced COBOL programmers but we do see those ads; lots of jobs like that that DH could do easily, but he is too old (at 49) for anyone to consider hiring.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Geez.. if I could manage the entire company finances AND the regulations angle, AND manage (nay, "lead") AND train the staff AND do customer service AND marketing AND work the computers, I'd be the boss, not the receptionist!! From $33k.
You've got to be kidding! Why weren't receptionists with these qualifications and skills be in charge of these WallSt firms, rather than the do-no-good scam artists who rewarded themselves with $500M for destroying their companies. I am not even talking about the damage they have done to society at large, just to their "teammates" that they have put out of work, and the shareholders they bankrupted.

What "high-functioning team of employees" is this receptionist expected to lead? Ladelfina, you've got to be kidding. The aforementioned CEOs would not be fit to be chauffeurs to our qualified receptionist here.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I just can't imagine going back to work. I think about it once a month or so, and the thought of it.... well it's just not pleasant.
I feel the same way! Only I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Can't ER for another year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #40

I always said, when w*(king that the illusion of control of your day/life was important. The fact that Iyou could take off during the day or a vacation on my schedule and such gave that illusion. However, deep down I always knew it was an illusion, and you still had to play 'Mother May I' and somebody could always say no.

Retirement turns the illusion into reality. That is what usually snaps me back when I think of going back to work. Once you sip from the cup of true freedom I don't see how anyone ever goes back and stays happy.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote