Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess if one is a trader then TD Ameritrade might be better. I'm an investor (not a trader) and Vanguard fills my needs nicely.
I agree, all my $ are at Vanguard. I was just supporting the post, it appears TD is better for some, traders for example as you point out.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

2. WellsTrade/PMA has no fees and Vanguard products. One gets without commissions (i.e. FREE!) Vanguard Signal class index funds, Vanguard Admiral class actively-managed funds, and Vanguard ETFs.
EDIT: Never mind. It turns out the signal class is basically admiral.

Bolding is mine.

This is very interesting. Did Wells cut a deal with vanguard and eliminate Admiral NON-ACTIVE managed funds from fees? or is Wells eating the cost and decided to only make the active funds free (maybe they want to encourage active trading)?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Re: TD Ameritrade. If you go to the link and look at the numbers vanguard is actually cheaper than Ameritrade on an ongoing basis. ....
Trades for Vanguard ETFs at TDAmeritrade are commission free. We have had an account at TDAmeritrade nee TDWaterhouse for almost 2 decades. We have not paid any fees in quite some time, so I am not seeing how TDAmeritrade extracts money from me. We do not keep any cash with them (cash sweep accounts are a source of money due to interest-rate differentials).

We are also not traders. We haven't sold anything in a number of years in these accounts (we rebalance in our 401(k)s). So just because commission-free Vanguard ETFs are available does not turn one into a trader.

On the WellsTrade/PMA deal, one needs to be aware that they will no longer offer free trades to new customers who sign up after April 1st. Previous customers will be grandfathered into still having free trades. This does not bother me as we have had a WellsTrade/PMA account even before there were free trades there because at the time, the trades were under $5.

Fidelity has very decent Spartan Advantage class index funds, but they do not appear to be as tax efficient as Vanguard funds. This would not be a problem if held in a tax-advantaged account. Fidelity has no-commission ETFs in the form of a number of iShares ETFs, too.

Now as I wrote previously, Vanguard is a good company, we have assets there as well, but when I compare these places nowadays, Vanguard does not come out on top.

The beauty of all this is that one should be able to find what they need in a cost-less, fee-less platform. And we are comparing apples-to-apples since I am writing about Vanguard products at all these places (except Fidelity).

And to touch base again on the thread topic: I don't think Flagship gives one any useful perks other than to casually mention that one has Flagship status on message boards.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

"And to touch base again on the thread topic: I don't think Flagship gives one any useful perks other than to casually mention that one has Flagship status on message boards."
To LOL, this was not my intention. Just asking people with more experience than myself about their experiences with these tiered services.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #25

My one good experience with Flagship Services is that Turbotax deluxe is a free download. If there are other services that are worth while I'm all ears.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I did find out that if you do achieve The Flagship tier that funds that were closed to new investors are now open to you. That is a nice perk. Not sure if that is the way it is with all closed funds but it was for the closed fund I asked about. (High Yield Corporate)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been a Flagship customer for ~ 5 years, Select for 15 before that, and use the annual financial planning offer. Since it's free. I have found them unbiased and they have never asked for me to transfer assets from my Fidelity accounts to VG. They are also the only people that I can talk to that know my finances and have been honest and candid. They are not pushy and I feel as though they really are trying to help me reach my goals. Often comparing what other clients are doing in my circumstances really helps.

I also take advantage of the huge discount for TurboTax.

I also have a Fidelity rep. and they have tried to have me move my assets to them from VG. They are competent and have offered good advise. One thing that I have noticed is that the VG people are certified financial planners and much more mature, age wise, then the Fidelity team. That could just be my experience.

Another difference is the web site and portfolio tracking tools. I have found VG's much easier to use compared to Fidelity's.

Just my two cents
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
I also have a Fidelity rep. and they have tried to have me move my assets to them from VG. They are competent and have offered good advise. One thing that I have noticed is that the VG people are certified financial planners and much more mature, age wise, then the Fidelity team. That could just be my experience.

Another difference is the web site and portfolio tracking tools. I have found VG's much easier to use compared to Fidelity's.

Just my two cents
Funny observation re: relative age. I had all our holdings with Fidelity from about 85-95, and most the reps were very young indeed. Anxious to please, but knowledge was highly variable, some pretty good - some way over their heads.

And it's nice (and surprising) to hear VG's website & portfolio tracking tools are better than Fidelity. When I left Fido for VG, it was a very clear step backward in terms of online tools and even periodic paper statements (quit paper years ago)...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
My one good experience with Flagship Services is that Turbotax deluxe is a free download. If there are other services that are worth while I'm all ears.
Can you load your prior turbotax data into the free program? Or it a free download that is basically the same thing you would get by buying it from Intuit?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Can you load your prior turbotax data into the free program? Or it a free download that is basically the same thing you would get by buying it from Intuit?
Its exactly the same program (turbo tax deluxe) you would get buying directly from intuit. Brought in my TT data from 2011 no problems.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I first began investing (with Vanguard), I would have killed for the opportunities that Flagship members have for advice and portfolio planning.

Last year I finally reached Flagship status for the first time. But by now, I feel a lot more comfortable making these decisions on my own, so I have not taken advantage of these opportunities.
How much does one need to be Flagship worthy?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...yager-services