Join Early Retirement Today

Any IRA rollover rules?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any IRA rollover rules?

Are there specific laws regarding the time frame of rolling my employee sponsored 401k to an IRA? I retired Nov 30 this year and just got a call from Vanguard concierge services who helped me open an IRA account but I haven't funded it yet. The concierge threw me off guard when he called because I thought I had to wait 45 days after retirement to do this which would have put opening an IRA on Jan. 14.
I felt kind of like a dunce and totally forgot some of the questions I wanted to ask...Is there any advice or experiences to share or things you wish you had known before you rolled over into an IRA? Thanks!!!
FedExCourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are no specific rules. Your former employer may have its own rules.

I still have my 401(k) going at my former employer. I am in no hurry to do a rollover to an IRA. I might even leave it there for years and years.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately, my employer kicks those of us who will be living on a portion of our 401k savings off the plan.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity serviced my old 401(k) and they started hounding me as soon as I retired, to roll it over. I guess they make more money off an IRA than the 401(k).
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
There are no specific rules. Your former employer may have its own rules.

I still have my 401(k) going at my former employer. I am in no hurry to do a rollover to an IRA. I might even leave it there for years and years.
Mine is still with my employer. I can do up to 12 withdrawals, rollovers, or whatever from the 401(k) per year. Costs are a bit less than VG and they have an adequate selection of index funds. Today I did my first withdrawal. It took a week and a blood pressure raising exchange to make it happen. I have 13k in after tax money sitting in there. Unfortunately the only way I can get it out is to roll the entire 401(K) over. The profits on the after tax gets rolled into the pre-tax bucket. With the treatment of the pre-tax profits and the difficulty in making withdrawals, I may roll the whole thing over to VG.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I retired 3 years ago and haven't moved my 401K. I have great investment options with my previous employer and the management fees are almost zero. I don't plan on touching it until RMD's kick in in another ~8 years.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, so no problem keeping 401k as is for now, whew! He did seem to really want me to get that IRA account started. Oh well, at least I do have an account number.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExCourier View Post
Are there specific laws regarding the time frame of rolling my employee sponsored 401k to an IRA?
FedExCourier, are you younger than 59 and 1/2 and do you plan on drawing from your 401k or IRA in the near future?

Edit to add: I just read through one of your posts and I see that you are 60. Congratulations on your recent retirement!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
FedExCourier, are you younger than 59 and 1/2 and do you plan on drawing from your 401k or IRA in the near future?

Edit to add: I just read through one of your posts and I see that you are 60. Congratulations on your recent retirement!
Thank you, Helen! I will start taking a little out each month starting at some point in January.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExCourier View Post
Unfortunately, my employer kicks those of us who will be living on a portion of our 401k savings off the plan.
Not quite sure what you mean by "living on a portion....". I don't think they can force you out of the plan if you have more than ($5k?) in your account. I do believe they can restrict withdrawals (e.g. no partial withdrawals). Is that what you meant?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Fidelity serviced my old 401(k) and they started hounding me as soon as I retired, to roll it over. I guess they make more money off an IRA than the 401(k).
I am not even retired and they are already hounding me every time I call for anything. I have rolled a small portion over to a Fidelity IRA to purchase individual stocks, but I will likely keep the 401k in place indefinitely as there are some unique and reduced cost funds (e.g. stable value) I could not get otherwise and several other advantages.

I did a rollover a few weeks ago and the rep sounded elated when I told him to initiate a rollover and devastated when he realized it was not being rolled over to the Fido account.....even challenged me on the rate of the CD I was buying ("we have CD's...what rate are you getting?").
Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Mine is still with my employer. I can do up to 12 withdrawals, rollovers, or whatever from the 401(k) per year. Costs are a bit less than VG and they have an adequate selection of index funds. Today I did my first withdrawal. It took a week and a blood pressure raising exchange to make it happen. I have 13k in after tax money sitting in there. Unfortunately the only way I can get it out is to roll the entire 401(K) over. The profits on the after tax gets rolled into the pre-tax bucket. With the treatment of the pre-tax profits and the difficulty in making withdrawals, I may roll the whole thing over to VG.
The IRS just changed the rules, you need to check this, but, as I understand it. You can roll the after-tax money from the 401K into a ROTH (no taxes due) and the rest into a rollover IRA.
This is important because if you roll the after-tax 401K with the other money into a rollover IRA, there is the danger of being taxed again on the after-tax money when you withdraw it from the IRA.
Keeping them separate is much safer and nothing to prove to IRS
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #13

I wanted my Fido 401K moved over to a Vanguard IRA. I did it in two steps. Step one was rolling the 401K to an IRA at Fidelity. That took all of one day. Then I had Vanguard take the money from Fidelity and put it into my VG IRA. That took 2 weeks. The whole process might have taken maybe 30 minutes of my time. Pretty simple.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - Check some other brokers like scottrade (or other brokerage with low fees), they are offering a bonus to rollover your 401K to a rollover IRA with them.
They charge no fee to have your account. Only charge when you buy/sell funds/etf/stocks.
example: Scottrade charges $7 to buy/sell stocks.

So a Simple plan would be rollover to Scottrade , buy 1 or 2 vanguard etf's which are very much like vanguard funds, keep the account for a year, then transfer it to Vanguard (unless you are happy at Scottrade).

Scottrade link here shows what bonus they pay, you have to scroll down a bit to see it:
https://www.scottrade.com/lp/because...ner&Branch_ID=

Basically it is:
$100 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $50,000 - $99,999
$300 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $100,000 - $199,999
$600 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $200,000 - $499,999
$1,000 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $500,000 - $999,999
$2,000 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $1,000,000+

I have used Scottrade and found it good, I don't get anything for recommending them.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The IRS just changed the rules, you need to check this, but, as I understand it. You can roll the after-tax money from the 401K into a ROTH (no taxes due) and the rest into a rollover IRA.
This is important because if you roll the after-tax 401K with the other money into a rollover IRA, there is the danger of being taxed again on the after-tax money when you withdraw it from the IRA.
Keeping them separate is much safer and nothing to prove to IRS
Sunset, I did discuss this with Vanguard because I have a small amount of after tax money that was invested years ago ( I forgot about it) and we are separating that money out of the mix.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My company was paying all Fidelity expenses on the 401K, and they required me to take all the money elsewhere when I retired. Fidelity rolled the 401K's into a Rollover IRA account and added my existing IRA's to them.

Paying an average .75% basis points really hurts--especially in years like 2008-9.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP - Check some other brokers like scottrade (or other brokerage with low fees), they are offering a bonus to rollover your 401K to a rollover IRA with them.

Scottrade link here shows what bonus they pay, you have to scroll down a bit to see it:
https://www.scottrade.com/lp/because...ner&Branch_ID=

Basically it is:
$100 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $50,000 - $99,999
$300 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $100,000 - $199,999
$600 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $200,000 - $499,999
$1,000 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $500,000 - $999,999
$2,000 Cash Back Bonus
On Qualifying Deposits of $1,000,000+

I have used Scottrade and found it good, I don't get anything for recommending them.
If you are up for a tiny bit of addditional work, transfer $200K to broker A to get their $600, $200K to broker B to get their $600, etc. Wy should you give a broker $400K and get only $600 when you can get $1200 by splitting it up? If you don't like one of them, transfer it back out next year and collect another $600!

I did this a couple of years ago. Actually, I called Etrade and told them I'd be transferring in $XXX (a bit over 2 times the amount to get $600) but immediately transferring half of that to Merrill, and got them to ageee not to charge a fee for the transfer out.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote