Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
It helps DW limit her spending when she sees red
Nah, *my* DW would say "Time to go back to work, dear?"

I *am* just kidding, she's generally pretty conservative with spending. I sometimes have to push her to spend a bit more on this or that. Other areas, not so much. But overall, no few complaints .

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm not expecting any big money saving breakthroughs. My current "view from 10,000 ft" keeps me well aware of the bulk of our expenditures.

All our income sources are laundered through our joint checking account. My SS and DW's pension are direct deposited. An occasional check written on the RE portfolio MM acct supplements those. So the info is there in the check register if I want to do a deep dive. Of course the biggest check every month is to Visa. But my Visa provider has nice tools for sorting expenses on their web site. Cash is another issue. We do go through 3 or 4 hundred bux a month but I think we have a reasonable understanding where that is going.

Still, despite the anticipated aggravation of pulling out a little notebook and recording the three Guinness I just enjoyed at the pub, I'm curious to try detailed tracking for a year. Maybe I'm just enjoying myself too much and want some added menial chore to tone down the fun?
We're pretty much in sync then. Difference is I rarely use cash at all, I use the card for everything I can. When I use cash for a sub $10 purchase, I regret it 'cause then I have a pocket full of change that will sit forever. The occasional dinner out where I put it all on the card and the other party pays me in cash seems to keep me away from the ATM for 6 months or more.

I can sort my charges on my CC, but that still leaves me in pretty non-specific categories. Our biggest routine bill like that is Costco, but it's not all food. So unless my CC can break down the actual receipt categories, I just don't see enough value in it.

Or maybe I'm just not enjoying myself so much that I feel the need to tone down the fun? Hmmm, tax time approaches - that's more than enough "tone down the fun" for me!

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
. Difference is I rarely use cash at all, I use the card for everything I can.
We were doing that too. Then we read an article that showed that much credit card fraud comes from using your card at small venues where the clerk/waitress-waiter/sales person takes your card away and brings it and a receipt for your signature back to you. They have the opportunity to copy all the info down out of your sight. So, since I'm not a bit intimidated by having a small roll of tens and twenties in my pocket, I just started using cash at pubs, some restaurants, small shops using manual imprinters, vendors at craft fairs, etc. But, no big deal either way. The amount of risk I'm avoiding is probably small. The benefits I'm losing out on, inconsequential.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why am I wasting my time washing baggies, when health insurance premiums are my main expense?
BINGO! (Al, meet you in Mexico?)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We were doing that too. Then we read an article that showed that much credit card fraud comes from using your card at small venues where the clerk/waitress-waiter/sales person takes your card away and brings it and a receipt for your signature back to you. They have the opportunity to copy all the info down out of your sight. So, since I'm not a bit intimidated by having a small roll of tens and twenties in my pocket, I just started using cash at pubs, some restaurants, small shops using manual imprinters, vendors at craft fairs, etc. But, no big deal either way. The amount of risk I'm avoiding is probably small. The benefits I'm losing out on, inconsequential.
That reminds me of an incident that I had. A Friday night, busy restaurant, after we finished a wedding rehearsal dinner. An employee comes up to my table, with the big bill in the small folder. Not the waiter. I look over the bill, he waits there. I pull out my credit card, and right away he takes it and the bill and starts to head off. This is while I'm saying "where the credit card goes, I go!" So I'm following him. Left right left, here and there. He seems aimless, but fast. But with my CC ahead of me, I'm fast too! Very suspicious. He's trying to shake me. I'm thinking he is looking for a place to pull a little reader out of his pocket and do a quick skim of it. Not while I'm on him, he ain't!

His way is blocked by customers just as we get next to the double doors from the kitchen. He quickly turns, looking at the doors. Suddenly, the door bursts open and a guy walks out with great authority, probably the manager. He see's the guy stopped right in front of him, and says "what are you doing?" The guy mumbles something... the manager glares at him, not understanding what he said. I said he's got the bill and my CC. The manager says to the guy, with a "you're an idiot" voice to him "take it over to the cashier!!!" So the guy does a hard right and over to the cashier, where he hands it all off and is gone just like that.

I figure it was a busboy trying to pull a quick skim, thought he saw an opportunity. No proof of course, but I would have liked to have emptied his pockets.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not really a quicken alternative but I use Fidelity's Fullview to categorize expenses and maintain a budget. The probably I always had with quicken is that it would get out of sync with all the online investing. Since I am categorizing everthing online there nothing to get out of sync. Has all the reports I need, net worth, budget versus actual etc.. It also includes all my other accounts (ie. Vanguard and BB&T bank and lets me categorize everything in those to. Just an alternative that I like.