Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any One Buying?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I'm about to jump out the window (luckily, we only have one story). I followed CFB's advice, and put everything into INTC.

Just kidding, but it's starting to look pretty sexy to me.
Nice buying opp today when it was down 5%.

The dell thing could be a heck of a red herring. AMD would have to build a couple of multibillion dollar fabs to meet even a portion of dells needs. Who would lend them the money? And why wouldnt intel wait for them to build them, then give dell the lower price and higher availability that they're trying to get with this maneuver in the first place?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AMD is waiting for INTC to put a fab up for sale. Seriously why would Dell start using AMD if they didn't think AMD could ramp up?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

To put pressure on INTC?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #24

AMD supposedly has a 3rd-party fab on contract. But I also think the Dell-AMD thing is likely insignificant and more of a marketing move for Dell. So far it sounds like they're talking about multi-core servers. I haven't seen anything to indicate you'll see an Inspiron or Dimension with an AMD chip. I think Dell still is in bed with Intel.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
To put pressure on INTC?
Sure, Dell will use both to its advantage
Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
To put pressure on INTC?
Ding ding ding!

Its SOP every year. Do note that many former intel managers now hold one-up positions at Dell. They're pretty chummy, which doesnt keep them from playing the game.

Jim- only problem with renting out fab space is that AMD isnt making a profit in the first place...and now they have to pay someone for manufacturing their products too?

We lose money on every sale, but make it up in the volume?

Plus AMD's track record on getting fabs built quickly and having them turn out quality product at high enough yields in their first years run is awful. Look at the Dresden miasma.

This is Intels forte. Manufacturing and reliability. Nobody can come within a country mile of them when it comes to banging together a fab and knocking out quality product from day one at the lowest cost.

Sure, the technology isnt as good right now and they're into way too many distracting things. Thats what I suspect Otellini will fix. These "problems" started 5 years ago on Barretts watch.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #27

What about an AMD INTC merger?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
What about an AMD INTC merger?
You will be paying more for your processor!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
You will be paying more for your processor!
Yes...and INTC would love that!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I was just about to say "and the problem with that is...".

Before you jump the gun and laugh, consider this. While you're getting far faster and far cheaper products more quickly, a long, long time ago (about 10 years and before) and in a galaxy far, far away (somewhere in the san francisco south bay), processors came with highly optimized development tools, software makers turned out reasonably well optimized code, and a lot of the hardware niceties of the processor were actually well used by the software makers.

Now, the software folks just throw a gob of code, knowing that next years processors will run it almost half as fast as the old cpu ran the last version of the OS. The special features of the processors like multimedia instructions, faster math options and so forth are very poorly used due to their multiplicity, compatibility issues and so forth.

The processor makers simply arent making enough money and dont have enough product life cycle time to have the software really ready and able to take advantage of the hardware before the product is already "old news".

So in many ways, you can blame your crappy bloatware operating systems, office suites and the like on your cheap processor.

Note that the apple folks that toot their horns over the perceived superior stability and performance of their platforms enjoyed a slow and steady release of processor platforms, speeds and capabilities with very little cpu architectural change, aside from that little 68k to powerpc fiasco.

This, like a lot of other things, bears a lot of thought...its not as simple as it looks on the surface.