Join Early Retirement Today

Any Quicken 2013 users?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Quicken 2013 users?

I am a long time Quicken user - currently on the 2010 version. I'm considering upgrading to 2013 Premier, primarily for the mobile app. We're on the road quite a bit, and it would be nice to be able to access Quicken from my tablet on the road (Quicken is loaded on my desktop). The reviews on Amazon are horrible - that's typically true for both Quicken and TurboTax, but in this case several specifically mention the mobile app as being a problem. Anyone here have any experience they can share? Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also a Quicken 2010 user, but will not upgrade to 2013 because the mobile app does not support multi-currency features. Even if it did, I would wait a year for the dust to settle. In the meantime I will buy the 2011 version from Ebay for about $15 so that I can get securities pricing for another year.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I upgraded to Q2013 just last week. I was using 2010 which sunsets downloads in the spring. I was really happy with 2010, and the reviews for 2013 were really bad. I got a good price and upgraded not really any difference and everything went smoothly. I will not be using the mobile function, so be careful out there.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2012. I will upgrade when, and only when, the downloads from my financial institutions became problematic.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I have Quicken Deluxe 2012. I will upgrade when, and only when, the downloads from my financial institutions became problematic.
Similar here except I'm on Quicken Home & Business 2011. I usually upgrade every other year or so unless there are some really attractive features in the new release (which is usually no for me).
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

I used to use Pocket Quicken on my Palm Treo, and it was handy for entering Quicken data and downloading it to the main computer. It looks like a good reason to upgrade to 2013, but the reviews look worse than usual so I'm going to wait another year.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I upgraded to 2013 when it first came out. There is one big bug that affects me big time. Has not been fixed through update 8.

The way quicken works is they release every year on a launch date come hell or high water. The version stabilizes usually by release 5 or 6. This version has not stabilized by version 8. I was told by the development team leader that since my bug was a reporting issue, not a data integrity issue that it was prioritized lower, and they were still working on data integrity/corruption issues. This was late last week.

I like 2013, but if you don't have it yet, I would wait for Q2 (April) next year to upgrade to let the version stabilize.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought Quicken 2013 and downloaded the mobile app for my iPhone. The 2013 computer version works pretty much the same as the previous version. The new mobile app only provides access to banking and credit card accounts which you can sync automatically over the air. It is useful at tracking monthly spending against a budget and confirming that a credit card charge has gone through but it does not provide any access to investment accounts.

So, a nice tiny step forward but not exactly like putting your entire Quicken portfolio in your pocket.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I bought Quicken 2013 and downloaded the mobile app for my iPhone. The 2013 computer version works pretty much the same as the previous version. The new mobile app only provides access to banking and credit card accounts which you can sync automatically over the air. It is useful at tracking monthly spending against a budget and confirming that a credit card charge has gone through but it does not provide any access to investment accounts.

So, a nice tiny step forward but not exactly like putting your entire Quicken portfolio in your pocket.
Thank you! This is good information - I didn't realize that it was just banking and not investments. Not what I was hoping for. This, along with what everyone else has been saying, has definitely delayed my purchase. Thank you, everyone!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Opening up this thread again... I use Quicken 2010 Premier and use it only to track investments. However, I have a lot of them and to put in the prices manually would be extremely time-consuming.

Is there anyone who has upgraded from 2010 to 2013 and found it sufficient? I am not aware of another product that does what I need, and I have at least 12 years of history that I want to keep so if it isn't the total piece of cr*p that I see on the amazon reviews, I will buy it ($55 currently).

Open to suggestions - I do not use it to track expenses at all. Just investments, hence getting the premier version. I could also try to find a copy of 2012 to install... sigh.

HELP!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I went ahead and bit the bullet a month or two ago when Costco had a rebate. The upgrade went fine for me - it fixed the problem that I was having with 2010 where it wouldn't update one of my stocks, and I've had no problems with updating either my stocks or my banking/investment transactions. I've not yet tried the mobile version. Really, there's not a whole lot of difference for the way that I use it, and I've had no problems so far.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #12

Thanks! I just also bit the bullet - and got it on amazon for $45 (they offered me a credit card or something - anyhow, I got $10 off for applying for it). It's nice to know someone has used it and not had it be a horror show.

Edit: I had such a long history that I tried - on 2010 - the automatic updating and it totally screwed up the transactions. I am not sure why. Anyhow I just went back to putting them in manually - not a lot of work compared to putting in the stock prices.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #13

I was recently forced to upgrade and did so. I have not had any problems.

I don't know what version of updates it has, but it sure downloaded a lot of them.

It is always best to wait with Quicken and let other early users do the initial testing. It should not be this way, but it is.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I was recently forced to upgrade and did so. I have not had any problems.

I don't know what version of updates it has, but it sure downloaded a lot of them.

It is always best to wait with Quicken and let other early users do the initial testing. It should not be this way, but it is.
Thanks - the latest version is 11 (I think that's what I read). I am forced to upgrade since it won't update stock prices after 4/30/13 (Quicken 2010, I mean). There have been so many bad reviews, it's nice to hear it possibly works.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #15

Long time time Quicken user, only upgrade when they sunset. I went from 10 to 13, seems the same not much different, I do the mobile thing, works fine for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #16

I was a former Quicken user, but after reading the reviews on amazon, I decided I don't want to deal with having to upgrade every few years for unknowable quality product. I ended up moving to Moneydance, which has worked reasonably well for me. It's cross platform, which is a big plus for me, and I'm never forced to upgrade again.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I updated from 2010 to 2013 about a month ago. No problems with investments. It is not updating my checking account for some reson, though it has no problem with the savings account at the same financial institution. But daily quotes, dividends, etc., so far so good.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

As a happy 2010 quicken user who does not have a need for mobile applications, is it worth the upgrade? I usually have my bank account open when I reconcile and upload transactions in quicken, so the lack of the direct online access from quicken will probably not affect me.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken 2013? I'm still using Quicken 2000. I'd thought about upgrading a few times, but each time was put off by the rigmarole I'd have to go through to migrate my 23+ years of Quicken transactions into the appropriate database format for the new versions. I almost thought I'd be forced to make a transition earlier this year when my Windows XP PC died. The replacment PC I built ran Windows 7 and it didn't appear that Quicken 2000 would be compatible. However, with a little hacking, I got Quicken 2000 working on it just fine. So, I figure I'm good for at least another decade.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Geek View Post
Quicken 2013? I'm still using Quicken 2000. I'd thought about upgrading a few times, but each time was put off by the rigmarole I'd have to go through to migrate my 23+ years of Quicken transactions into the appropriate database format for the new versions. I almost thought I'd be forced to make a transition earlier this year when my Windows XP PC died. The replacment PC I built ran Windows 7 and it didn't appear that Quicken 2000 would be compatible. However, with a little hacking, I got Quicken 2000 working on it just fine. So, I figure I'm good for at least another decade.
But if you use QW 2000 you are not using any of downloads from banks/brokerages - which to me is one of the main attractive points to use QW :-(

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote