Join Early Retirement Today

Any Quicken pros?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any Quicken pros?

I love my Quicken 2012. For months I'd been trying to get my employer's 401(k) website to talk to my Quicken so I could download my transactions & balances.

The good news: I finally got it to happen! The bad news: We have a group of funds (Blackrock Lifepath Index 2015, 2020, 2025, etc.) that aren't apparently publicly traded.

So, the # of shares comes through fine, but the share price for each of these funds imports at about 4x higher than it really is. I'm liking this hugely inflated total balance, but I realize it's not accurate.

All my other funds (i.e., Dodge & Cox, Pimco, etc) come through exactly to the penny.

I've called our plan fund manager, and they're looking into it. In the meantime, I can't figure out how to adjust the price per share! You can adjust # of shares, but not the price.

Any ideas? Other than getting out of the Blackrock Funds?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try going to Security List and double click on the subject security to get the Security Detail View screen. Then select Update/Edit Price History from the drop down menu and then Edit for the relevant date.

Clunky but it will work until you can get the automatic download to work.

You may also want to go to Edit Security Details and then try to Lookup the ticker.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

You. Rock.

Thank you so much - I'd never have found it. I just lost about 1/2 my 401(k) by doing that, but at least now it's accurate.

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Were you able to find it so it updates automatically or are you just manually adjusting the prices? Sounds like the latter.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

I'm manually adjusting. For now it works.

We're getting ready for a meeting with a financial planner, and I wanted my Quicken Net Worth to be a little more accurate.

Now that I know that option is there, I'd play around with it a little more. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you'll have to manually do those for now. The Blackrock ones are like that since they have no symbol. I've heard people complain about those.

I have small 401k from an old employer with a privately managed index that I have to do the same thing. It can be frustrating, but at least there is a work around.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I found these tickers. Not sure if it is what you are looking for or heading in the right direction.

SYMBOL NAME COUNTRY TYPE INDUSTRY/OBJECTIVE
LPCMX:US BlackRock LifePath 2020 Portfolio - Investor C USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPRCX:US BlackRock LifePath 2020 Portfolio - R USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPRMX:US BlackRock LifePath 2020 Portfolio - R USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPSCX:US BlackRock LifePath 2020 Portfolio - S USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
STLCX:US BlackRock LifePath 2020 Portfolio - I USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPCNX:US BlackRock LifePath 2030 Portfolio - Investor C USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPRDX:US BlackRock LifePath 2030 Portfolio - A USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPRNX:US BlackRock LifePath 2030 Portfolio - R1 USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPSDX:US BlackRock LifePath 2030 Portfolio - S USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
STLDX:US BlackRock LifePath 2030 Portfolio - I USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
CIT1694:US BlackRock LifePath Index 2020 Non-Lending Fund USA Open-End Fund Flexible Portfolio
CIT1695:US BlackRock LifePath Index 2025 Non-Lending Fund USA Open-End Fund Flexible Portfolio
CIT1696:US BlackRock LifePath Index 2030 Non-Lending Fund USA Open-End Fund Flexible Portfolio
CIT1697:US BlackRock LifePath Index 2035 Non-Lending Fund USA Open-End Fund Flexible Portfolio
LPCKX:US BlackRock LifePath 2040 Portfolio - Investor C USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPREX:US BlackRock LifePath 2040 Portfolio - A USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPRKX:US BlackRock LifePath 2040 Portfolio - R1 USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPSFX:US BlackRock LifePath 2040 Portfolio - S USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
STLEX:US BlackRock LifePath 2040 Portfolio - I USA Fund of Funds Flexible Portfolio
LPCRX:US BlackRock LifePath Retirement Fund - Investor C USA Open-End Fund Balanced
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #8

The problem is my 2015 fund - I actually think it's closed. But you'd think it would still have a symbol.

Anyway, I highly suspect the FP will tell me to move this Black Rock 2015 money since I'm probably too heavy into bonds in my PIMCO fund.

I'll know more after our meeting and that may solve my whole Quicken download issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #9

If it is not publicy traded it won't have a symbol so quicken will not find any price quotes. My 401k has a company stock fund, stable income fund and some Trowe trust funds. I update them manually. The web page for the 401k has a setting for RSS feed for the prices, I saved that in the browser and can just open that to get the prices.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #10

You could probably use the symbols above as long as they behave similarly to your fund. But then you have to adjust your shares instead of your price. I do that once every two weeks, with little tiny changes. might be easier if you end up looking at them daily.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Just update balances
Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Just update balances

I don't worry about the number of shares. I have been using quicken since I changed over from Andrew Tobias Manage your money in 1988. The way I handle my 401k is just update balances by fund and disreguard the number of shares. It is manual however it is very easy.
taylordr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

I have Blackrock fund in my 401K too. It is privately held and not listed. What I do is set up the fund as a security in Quicken with no ticker. Then every two weeks when payroll deposits into the 401K, the deposit transaction updates and downloads into Quicken with the number of shares and share price. This way pricing is updated every two weeks automatically, any more frequent than that will require manual entry to the best of my knowledge...
NosmoKing is offline   Reply With Quote