Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
The advice about seek a good agent is sound. Insurance laws vary by state along with pre-existing condition underwriting. Some states are tougher to get insurance in that others.

A large group, like your employers, will most likely better protect you should your health change. The premiums may go up, but all insurance premiums will. Once you leave your group, and your health changes, your options will be limited and expensive.

brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
One huge reason I'm hanging with my employer is the availability of retiree benefits. They're not cheap but do provide decent coverage (at least for now). If you are retiring early don't make any assumptions about rates or plans. I know quite a number of people who got ashock when they hit a majic age like 60 and suddenly their plan rates shot up dramatically. I would be inclined to stay with my employer plan as long as possible before I would switch to another plan to maybe save a few bucks

foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I didn't stick around long enough to qualify for retiree health insurance. But I think the main advantage (besides cost savings) is since it's group, through w*rk, they accept everyone regardless of pre-existing conditions during their open enrollment. The disadvantage is since it's through w*rk as benefit, the megacorp could decide it's not in their best interests to continue offering the benefit. Where as, if you obtain insurance in the individual market, that's a contract between you and the insurance company (such as Blue Cross).

Fortuantely for me, my health is good enough to qualify for individual health insurance when I decideed to FIRE. Otherwise, I'd still be stressing at the cubicle at w*rk, waiting til Nov of 2011 when I would have qualified for retiree health benefits. That is, if I wasn't let go beforehand. But that's a whole different disscusion.

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote