Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Feckless? FECKLESS?!? Why, those--

Oh, reckless? Oh.

Never mind!

Compared to our Depression-era relatives, I can see why researchers would call Boomer spending "reckless". Along with "pent-up consumer demand"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I remember you have posted a while back - here's my excellent memory again - the same thing about leaving the house with the intention of "buying something", but not knowing what it would be. So, you wanted to exchange that cash for some happiness. Your shopping failed, but shouldn't you be happy just to stay home, off work, and chatting with your forum buddies here?

Not giving you a hard time, but I just want to point out some apparent conflict in your feelings.
Well, I don't exactly feel the need to buy anything - - but I have more money than any other time in life so far, and I feel like I *should* be spending it. That's what it is for, and I don't want to LBYM to the point of self-flagellation. Moderation in all things.

I had something in mind (an iPad), but after playing with one for a while I just didn't want it. So why not? Seems like everybody is dying to have one, or has one and loves it. I'm still puzzled at my response.

I also looked at netbooks and new laptops and software, and just feel complete without any of it. That doesn't seem like a bad thing. Life is good.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Guys used to do that where I grew up. It must be a male thing...I've never seen a woman throw nuts in a soda bottle... (there's got to be a good joke here, but I've got nothin' )
I heard Elena Bobbitt did..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the feeling of having some excess money, but not knowing what to do with it!

Sometimes, I feel envious of people who crave something that I can easily afford but do not care to have. If only my happiness could be purchased so readily... And no, it is not because I am craving something out of my reach, like a yacht, or a jet. I don't care about these either. What I really need to have, like roofs over my head, cars for transportation, an RV for some future adventures, I already have. So, what to buy indeed! Of course I can "buy" some more travels, but I need to ration myself there too, even if money is no object. On the road all the time, then it becomes routine and more like work! Nothing left to look forward to.

What to do, what to do, indeed!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I went to Best Buy today to spend some money and didn't find anything in that whole store that I wanted. Oh well.
See, you wasted all that money on gas and car wear-and-tear, not to mention risked an accident and higher insurance premiums, and did not even buy a thing. Clearly, you have a tendency to over-spend!
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I heard Elena Bobbitt did..........
....now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What I really need to have, like roofs over my head, cars for transportation, an RV for some future adventures, I already have. So, what to buy indeed!
If your needs are indeed so simple, why not give up the part time job?
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Then, I will have to think about what to do all day!

And then, the market may just drop 1000 points in a day, and seeing people jumping up and down gets me excited too!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then, I will have to think about what to do all day!
You mean other than posting here?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yeah! We will all have to admit that hanging around here is the most LBYM way to self-entertain , but aren't all addictions bad?

PS. To further answer FireDreamer's question, I just now remember that I am NW-"Scrooge"-Bound. I like to count money! So, I work to have more to count, and not to spend.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
See, you wasted all that money on gas and car wear-and-tear, not to mention risked an accident and higher insurance premiums, and did not even buy a thing. Clearly, you have a tendency to over-spend!
You're right! Thanks

Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, the feeling of having some excess money, but not knowing what to do with it!

Sometimes, I feel envious of people who crave something that I can easily afford but do not care to have. If only my happiness could be purchased so readily... And no, it is not because I am craving something out of my reach, like a yacht, or a jet. I don't care about these either. What I really need to have, like roofs over my head, cars for transportation, an RV for some future adventures, I already have. So, what to buy indeed! Of course I can "buy" some more travels, but I need to ration myself there too, even if money is no object. On the road all the time, then it becomes routine and more like work! Nothing left to look forward to.

What to do, what to do, indeed!
Sit back and enjoy your good fortune and freedom, doing whatever you really like to do most, I guess! Works for me. Life could be worse.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I too, have money and don't know what to spend it on. Have taken to giving it away.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I too, have money and don't know what to spend it on. Have taken to giving it away.
I admire that so much. I am not as saintly as you (at least not right now). Maybe someday. I haven't had this problem very long yet.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I don't know when I will be tired of counting...

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know when I will be tired of counting...
As long as it makes you happy, Mr. McDuck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6415-97456-scroogemcduckjpg-468x.jpg (66.5 KB, 1 views)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... If I convert my networth to red cents, would the pile reach that depth of 90 ft, I wonder. Most likely not! But that 90ft would take a lot of time to count.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I squandered my 2009 tax refund on a trip to FL. Terrible terrible person.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Guys used to do that where I grew up. It must be a male thing...I've never seen a woman throw nuts in a soda bottle... (there's got to be a good joke here, but I've got nothin' )
Barbara Mandrel did, at least she bragged about doing it in one of her songs....
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, I don't exactly feel the need to buy anything - - but I have more money than any other time in life so far, and I feel like I *should* be spending it. That's what it is for, and I don't want to LBYM to the point of self-flagellation. Moderation in all things.
Well I haven't had this problem even though I have the funds. It seems a little backwards to me to look for something to spend extra money on.....

But then again, I am pretty good at spending large chunks every few years when we decide to make some major life changes.

I'd say - let is accumulate for a rainy day. And then make sure you are really doing what you want to do with all your free time and maybe at some point the spending will take care of itself?

Since you aren't much into travel that removes kind of a big spending opportunity. I tend to buy experiences rather than things.

Audrey